Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:53 AM   #1
zipzip
zipzip began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2.0
Cannot get author to "stick" with Book Designer or Mobipocket Creator

Perhaps someone can help me.

I am trying to do the most basic of tasks: convert the text file of a book into a .prc file to read on my Kindle. The conversion works fine, the book turns out fine, but with one problem: no matter what I do, the author will not display on the Kindle. I like to sort my Kindle books by author, but anything I've converted myself is at the very end of the title list, with no author displayed.

I re-converted the book several times from scratch with Book Designer, making sure to assign the author and title correctly. In the finished product, the title displays perfectly on the Kindle, but the author field is blank.

I converted the text file again with Mobipocket Creator, adding the author and a .jpg for a cover picture. However, after conversion, even within Mobipocket Creator, the author field had been blanked and the .jpg was gone. Again, the text converted fine, is readable on my Kindle, and the title displays perfectly. Just no author or title page photo. The info won't seem to "stick."

What am I doing wrong?
zipzip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 AM   #2
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Did you click on the 'Update' button after entering the author data and cover image in MobiCreator?
I don't think it saves it otherwise.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zipzip View Post
Perhaps someone can help me.

I am trying to do the most basic of tasks: convert the text file of a book into a .prc file to read on my Kindle. The conversion works fine, the book turns out fine, but with one problem: no matter what I do, the author will not display on the Kindle. I like to sort my Kindle books by author, but anything I've converted myself is at the very end of the title list, with no author displayed.

I re-converted the book several times from scratch with Book Designer, making sure to assign the author and title correctly. In the finished product, the title displays perfectly on the Kindle, but the author field is blank.
BD creates a very "old" Mobi format which doesn't store author metadata. Best thing to do, as I describe in my tutorial on the subject, is to export from BD as HTML, and then use Mobi Creator to convert to Mobi format.

Quote:
I converted the text file again with Mobipocket Creator, adding the author and a .jpg for a cover picture. However, after conversion, even within Mobipocket Creator, the author field had been blanked and the .jpg was gone.
Did you remember to click the "Update" button at the bottom of the page, after entering the metadata? It doesn't "stick" unless you do so!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
zipzip

There's an update button? Let me try it again.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:11 AM   #5
zipzip

Yay! It worked! Thanks, guys!
Advert
Old 03-04-2009, 06:13 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes; each page in Mobi Creator has an "Update" button at the bottom of the page. You need to click that button in order for the changes to be written back to the OPF file. Mobi creator is basically just a "GUI editor" for creating and editing the OPF file.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes; each page in Mobi Creator has an "Update" button at the bottom of the page. You need to click that button in order for the changes to be written back to the OPF file. Mobi creator is basically just a "GUI editor" for creating and editing the OPF file.
Quite frustrating sometimes, this "update" button, but you get used to it with time.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 AM   #8
zipzip

And, Harry, thanks also for the time and care you spent on your Dickens books posted here on the website. One of the first things I did after receiving my Kindle 2 the other day (which is my first e-book reader of any sort) was to go looking for illustrated, Kindle-compatible editions of the Dickens novels. The original Phiz et al. illustrations were a must. I did not see any on Amazon, and had just about given up hope, but a Google eventually search led me here. They are truly wonderful. Thank you.
Old 03-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

My pleasure. I am constantly working to improve them - a fully proofed version of "The Old Curiosity Shop" should be ready to post in a few weeks.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:02 AM   #10
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
My pleasure. I am constantly working to improve them - a fully proofed version of "The Old Curiosity Shop" should be ready to post in a few weeks.
While we're on the subject of Dickens, which one would be a good starter? I've never read Dickens, although I've read my fair share of 19th century literature.

Any specific Dickens books to recommend (and why)? I've asked several people, and they all give me the knee-jerk response of either David Copperfield, Bleak House, The Adventures of Oliver Twist, Great Expectations or A Tale of Two Cities. I can come up with those myself. Few can answer why are any of them good (I'm sure they are, I'd just like some info).
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'd go for one of the shorter ones - "Bleak House" and "David Copperfield", while wonderful books, are extremely long and are perhaps not the thing to jump into first. "Oliver Twist" and "Great Expectations" are both relatively short and, I must admit, among my favourites. "Oliver Twist" was one of Dickens' very early books, "Great Expectations" a late work, so they represent both ends of the spectrum, so to speak. I'd suggest "Great Expectations"; it's a wonderful story with a real "twist in the tail". I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #12
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I'd go for one of the shorter ones - "Bleak House" and "David Copperfield", while wonderful books, are extremely long and are perhaps not the thing to jump into first. "Oliver Twist" and "Great Expectations" are both relatively short and, I must admit, among my favourites. "Oliver Twist" was one of Dickens' very early books, "Great Expectations" a late work, so they represent both ends of the spectrum, so to speak. I'd suggest "Great Expectations"; it's a wonderful story with a real "twist in the tail". I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Thanks Harry, I'll pick up your version of Great Expectations from the upload forum.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Please do let me know what you think of it once you've read it!