Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
? about chapter-less short stories made in Sigil

I've only made novels so far in Sigil and now I'm starting to do short stories. So I've been doing the short stories with separate sections in Sigil for the Title Page and the Copyright Page just like I do for the novels. But when the short story gets to e-readers those separate sections will just be separate pages, right? But then what if the section is longer than one e-reader page? Say if one section in Sigil has a long copyright deal and a long fictional character disclaimer that combined will go beyond the page of the e-reader. What happens then?
Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The user will have to flip pages like in any other section of the book to see the entire copyright / disclaimer etc.

Why would you expect anything different?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
A section ends when it Ends.
Copyright / disclaimers are just another sad story
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Thanks guys. (I had a feeling it was kind of a dumb question.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
could you not just leave out the whole sad -

copyright/disclaimer/about me/about the publisher/dedicated to my mum/other books by/the 1st bit of some other book I was not planning to read anyway/ picture of my cat stuff

& save us readers the hassle of deleting it anyway ???

I zap that stuff out of in any personal copy before e-reading - because want the story to begin on page 1 not on page n+1 and I want it to end on the last page of the story - not in front of 30+pages of previews.

& I'm sorry but I don't give a toss who it's dedicated to !
that page is of interest maybe to one person in the world + the author - for everyone else its a waste of a twig - or a tree if it's a best seller

PS actually , I could tolerate the picture of my cat bit but as for the rest....

Last edited by cybmole; 06-08-2013 at 10:11 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
could you not just leave out the whole sad
copyright/disclaimer/about me/about the publisher/dedicated to my mum/other books by/the 1st bit of some other book I was not planning to read anyway/ picture of my cat stuff
& save us readers the hassle of deleting it anyway ???

I zap that stuff out of in any personal copy before e-reading - because want the story to begin on page 1 not on page n+1

& I'm sorry but I don't give a toss who it's dedicated to !

rest....
I just slide all those to the tail of the book and put the CAT on the cover
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I find that I am rewriting all my backlist books so that they do indeed begin at the beginning. The first breakthrough was to realize that the copyright "page" needn't follow the title page but can just as easily go to the back of the book. Not only that, but I very soon began to see Big Six books doing the same thing. I don't remember now which ones they were, but they were from publishers like Random House, Doubleday, and the like.

In many books, I put the acknowledgements if any at the bottom of the copyright page.

In a more formal, academic text with the usual Prologue / Acknowledgements, I either rewrite the prologue so that it is a lead-in to chapter one or else I turn it into an Afterword, which follows Chapter N. If there is a Notes & Sources section, some of those acknowledgements might better fit there ("As always, I am indebted to my wife Belinda for her meticulous typing of drafts one through forty-two.")

My purpose in so doing was less to make life pleasant for Cybmole but rather to get best value out of Amazon's Look Inside the Book feature. It is a priceless sales tool.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Indeed. We must always be willing to modify form to suit the medium. Amazon's Look Inside is excellent reason for truncated front matter and very likely an inline TOC.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote