Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 07:54 PM   #31
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
My experiences are the same as the others. Sleek and fast--I like it so far. The only thing is that I don't think the mobipocket formatting is as good as the formatting I got using html2lrf. And I am not overly fond of the the default font of the Kindle.

But I have only had it for an hour or so, so still playing. I do think that my Sony Reader is going to be collecting dust now as I enjoy the extras with this Kindle way better. And this is just out of the box! I am assuming their will be updates, hacks and tricks in the future.

The cover is a pretty odd thing though. It doesn't seem to be made to really protect the reader that much, but then you can't really read the reader while it's in it's case either. Seems more to protect it from scratching and whatnot. I also think the Kindle looks way better in real life that pictures. But then again, I didn't hate the picture like everyone else did...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:55 PM   #32
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
For the same reason many of us don't like reading ebooks on our computers, I would imagine: eye fatigue, portability, etc.
I think he means, why not use the built-in kindle web browser to visit the blogs since it is free.

I imagine the clean formatting and push for later offline access are good reasons. In some cases, the web content is not free to being with.
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 07:59 PM   #33
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugbug View Post
I think he means, why not use the built-in kindle web browser to visit the blogs since it is free.

I imagine the clean formatting and push for later offline access are good reasons. In some cases, the web content is not free to being with.
Ah. I see. Yeah, having the experience of reading blogs and non-mobile news sites on my PDA, it would be worth something to me to have it nicely formatted and just right there. But if Feedbooks did the mobi output thing and I could just load them to the Kindle with the USB for free, I might do that instead. Though if the blog owners are getting a cut, I kinda like rewarding people who are giving me content I like.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Though if the blog owners are getting a cut, I kinda like rewarding people who are giving me content I like.

They get a cut according to something I read (I think its on the amazon site where you suggest a blog). I think I would rather subscribe to magazines. I'd love to see scientificamerican be available on it.

-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 08:23 PM   #35
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
They get a cut according to something I read (I think its on the amazon site where you suggest a blog). I think I would rather subscribe to magazines. I'd love to see scientificamerican be available on it.

-d
I was hoping for Mother Jones. They actually offer a PDF subscription. I might try seeing if I can convert the file well (or at all) if I ever commit and buy a reader. I have to admit, I'm pretty darned close to ordering the Kindle.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #36
sfernald
Zealot
sfernald doesn't littersfernald doesn't litter

Now that I am home, I am comparing this to my Sony 505.

The contrast appears about the same side-by-side.

I just plugged in my 4GB SD card, then I transferred my files over to the SD card. The content manager is very slick. It feels a bit like Mac OS X (yes, that easy and smooth).

The one thing is that the Kindle is about twice as thick as the sony (and with the respective covers on maybe 2.5 times as thick). The cover is pretty useless I think. I will probably only carry it to protect it during my travels.

Overall, I am falling more and more in love with this thing. Probably the best gadget this year I've gotten since the iPhone.
sfernald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 09:48 PM   #37
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
What really strikes me is how fast it is when opening new books. I know the sony reader always had a minor delay while it loaded all the sizes the first time a book was opened, but the Kindle opens them right away. So far, I love it...
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 PM   #38
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
Quote:

Yes that is what I meant. I think using Google Reader for those full feed RSS would be one way to get around the formatting issue. I use that to read feeds on my iPhone.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:38 AM   #39
gregr209
Enthusiast
gregr209 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505 / Kindle
I ordered my Kindle yesterday (should arrive at the end of the month) and after having my Sony Reader for a week now I am going to take it back and pay the 15% restocking fee. I love the Sony Reader but I have a feeling the Kindle is going to be PERFECT for my needs.

Thanks everyone for the great reviews and insights so far!!!!!

Greg
(newbie to the site)
gregr209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 02:57 AM   #40
WilliamG
Addict
WilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitWilliamG with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Thanks for the impressions! I had posted elsewhere on this forum that I truly believe the Sony Readers are dead from yesterday. I have 2 (my wife has one), and loved them, but boy am I excited to get the Kindle. The Reader just hasn't grown up in over a year! Back to the Kindle: I've ordered a few samples from books, changed the name of my Kindle to my wife's so that when she gets it she can think that's cool, too. Wireless delivery? Dictionary? Web browsing? Near-505-like display? Amazon prices and a REAL SEARCH ENGINE? Count me in for one, and if I like it, a definite two. Sorry Sony. I'm jumping ship for now.

(PS Ahem Amazon, your Kindle edition of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" is the same price as the paperback version.)

Last edited by WilliamG; 11-21-2007 at 03:14 AM.
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsgreer View Post
My experiences are the same as the others. Sleek and fast--I like it so far. The only thing is that I don't think the mobipocket formatting is as good as the formatting I got using html2lrf. And I am not overly fond of the the default font of the Kindle.
Do you get a choice of fonts, or can you upload additional ones?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #42
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
After these great reviews (Thanks!), I eagerly await mine (supposedly a week from today).

Has anyone tried unencrypted Mobi (like from the BAEN site) on the Kindle and if so, how do they look?

Last edited by CCDMan; 11-21-2007 at 10:50 AM.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 10:54 AM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes. It worked fine.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:00 AM   #44
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Yes. It worked fine.
Have you tried a PalmDOC book? These are not mentioned as being supported but standard MobiPocket software supports them even though they don't advertise the fact much. You can choose from thousands of titles in PalmDOC format over at Memoware. It would be nice to know if they can be read. You might have to change the extension to .prc but hopefully not.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM   #45
Thistledown
Thistledown doesn't litterThistledown doesn't litterThistledown doesn't litter

You don't get a choice of fonts, but you do get a choice of 6 sizes. I don't know if additional fonts can be embedded in a book or not. I also don't think it supports uploading fonts.
Thistledown is offline   Reply With Quote