Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #1
chumbucket
chumbucket began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-T1
Sony PRS-505 for $150 on SonyStyle site

This is a repost of a deal on Fatwallet.

This is a repost of a deal posted on the Finance Forum by suviroks with a possible deal.

Sony Visa Offer

The offer is for $150 off any purchase of $299 or more from SonyStyle.com (or Sony Style stores) in the first 45 days of your card. The credit is supposed to show in 8-12 weeks. In addition, you get 1 year same as cash on purchases of $299 or more, so after you make the purchase, you can just let it sit there until you get the credit, and then pay off the rest in another ten months or whatever.

The website also offers instant approvals and will give you your card and CVV number right there if you are approved so you can apply for the card and then buy the item at SonyStyle.com immediately.

So I am considering this item:
Sony EBook Reader for $299
Includes Free Shipping
Includes Free Engraving
Includes Free 100 eBooks
Includes 1 year Same as Cash with Visa
Includes $150 back in 8-12 weeks on Visa

Net: Sony EBook Reader shipped and engraved for half off, and you get a whole year to pay the balance and/or deal with Sony if they are slow on posting the credit.

Of course, this is not limited to just the EBook, you can also use it for a PS3, which will have the same FS and same 1 year SAC (sorry no engraving).
chumbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #2
Miker2k
Miker2k began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I actually ordered a 505 yesterday using this same deal.... of course I ordered the red one so it hasn't shipped yet but I have high hopes.
Miker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I took a similar deal, for 10,000 Sony Rewards Points with a new application for the Sony Visa (which translates to a cash value of US$100.00). 8-12 weeks. In fact, it took about 20 weeks, plus 57 phone calls (I'm not exaggerating), including conference calls with both Sony and Chase. One Sony Reward Center employee flat out told me there never was such an offer. I asked her if she meant to imply that I was lying or fantasized the offer, her reply was "take your pick".

Chase finally admitted they made the offer, had no idea what went wrong, so were manually crediting my card balance 100 dollars. Then, a few weeks later, the points showed up. However, I couldn't use them for the original purpose, which was as a credit against the purchase of the reader, because the 60-day window for purchase credits expired. Another few calls to Sony, and they graciously granted the credit (no sarcasm implied. It was gracious, since the fault was with Chase, not with Sony, in this case). In the long run, then, I received $200.00 credit, but only by being unrelenting.

My advice, then, is to carefully ascertain and document all the terms and conditions of any deal involving the Sony Card, Rewards Points, Purchase Credits, and so on. Print out and date everything. If you ever need to call them, make careful note of dates and names. If you don't get satisfaction, INSIST on speaking with a supervisor. If that doesn't get you satisfaction, hang up and start over. I say this because while most of the people I spoke with were not helpful and some were actually argumentative, there WERE a couple of people who bent over backwards to help me. Hang up and call back until you find them.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
I had ordered a Red 505 a few days ago, Got home today and my Sony Card was waiting in the mailbox. I called Sony to change the billing to the card and they said I would have to cancel my current order and reorder. So I said go ahead and they said unfortunately my Reader was getting ready to Ship and they couldnt cancel my order. So I guess i missed out on it.

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #5
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
If you use this along with the turn in of a PRS-500 then potentially you could get a 505 for $50 yes?

Not too bad.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 AM   #6
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Ok after several phone calls I got the billing switched and got the rebate!! So I treated myself to a the cover with built in light!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:42 AM   #7
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
so tempted

I am very tempted to go for this offer. I like my EB 1150, but the e-ink would be nice and so would not having to convert file formats. Decisions decicions....

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Another note of caution: such great deals typically precede a new model release. That is completely undocumented, pure speculation on my part.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #9
Miker2k
Miker2k began at the beginning.

Yes but this 150$ credit is not limited to just the reader..... it could be used after purchasing a PS3, TV, etc, etc. Any excuse for Chase to get another Credit Card in circulation.
Miker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
Smile Too tempting: I Ordered it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
I am very tempted to go for this offer. I like my EB 1150, but the e-ink would be nice and so would not having to convert file formats. Decisions decicions....

Amy
I also have the EB-1150. But the combination of a red reader, no conversions, ability to read library books, and $150 credit was too tempting...

So I bit the bullet, and I ordered it 5 minutes ago!

Sherri
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #11
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Does anyone know:

1.) when this deal ends?

2.) whether you can use this credit towards a PRS-700?

I searched the site and can't find an end date. Also, I think I remember reading that you could only use this on a PRS-505 and not the PRS-700. Thanks.

Kevin
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
looks like the Visa card deal is $100 now

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...61:FW6z5m8d:CJ
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #13
Ler0y Jenkins
Connoisseur
Ler0y Jenkins doesn't litterLer0y Jenkins doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenstate View Post
looks like the Visa card deal is $100 now

https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...61:FW6z5m8d:CJ
Yeah, that sucks. I applied for the card a couple of days ago but was unable to get instant credit (I have no idea why since I have great credit). They said I would be receiving something in the mail. I have no idea what that means for any potential credit.
Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #14
rhewes
rhewes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
I picked up the $150 deal a few weeks ago and got the $150 credit on my first statement...no hassle at all. Quite happy with my 505.

I was tracking the offer for a few months and it goes back and forth between $100 and $150...just keep an eye on it and it should go back up.
rhewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:16 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ler0y Jenkins View Post
I applied for the card a couple of days ago but was unable to get instant credit (I have no idea why since I have great credit). They said I would be receiving something in the mail. I have no idea what that means for any potential credit.
If you ever reported a possible identity theft problem or asked any of the credit reporting agencies to put a hold on your credit file, then it is almost impossible to get instant credit regardless of your creditworthiness.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote