Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Update Glo HD from 3.15?

I have never updated my Glo HD's firmware since I bought it in May 2015. The device is still on 3.15 and works fine for my use. I did add the small "hack" to remove the headers but keep the page number footers.

Was there any major change in the following updates that would significantly improve the Kobo's performance or reading experience?

Thanks.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
If you like the page numbers without the header, stay with the earlier firmware. That hack no longer works with the current version. IMO there is nothing in the current version that is vital if you are happy at 3.15.
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksquared View Post
If you like the page numbers without the header, stay with the earlier firmware. That hack no longer works with the current version. IMO there is nothing in the current version that is vital if you are happy at 3.15.
The current firmware is faster than 3.15. Noticeably so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:55 AM   #4
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I have never updated my Glo HD's firmware since I bought it in May 2015. The device is still on 3.15 and works fine for my use. I did add the small "hack" to remove the headers but keep the page number footers.

Was there any major change in the following updates that would significantly improve the Kobo's performance or reading experience?
I take it you are reading KePub format. I don't think the feature setting that removes the title from the KePub header works in the current firmware, I think it last worked in 3.18.0. For KePubs you now only have the choice of both header and footer, or full-screen mode without either header or footer. The only way to get the footer without the header is to sideload as ePub.

The hyphenation bug* that affected KePubs up to and including firmware 3.15.0 has been fixed, for me that alone would be a good enough reason to move on from 3.15.0 if I was reading KePubs. (But then I have come to prefer full-screen mode, even for ePubs, so the KePub header is not an issue for me.)

* The KePub hyphenation bug caused the hyphen to be inserted at the wrong place if the word had trailing punctuation. E.g. "everything," was hyphenated as "everyt-hing," instead of "every-thing,"

Last edited by GeoffR; 07-03-2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: * The KePub hyphenation bug ...
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 04:58 PM   #5
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks everyone for the replies.
Advert
Old 07-06-2016, 02:15 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The current firmware is faster than 3.15. Noticeably so.
I think this depends on whether you read epubs or kepubs. I convert everything to kepub before sending to my aura hd--on which I'm still running 3.15, and don't notice it being slow. From what I remember, the complaints of slowness were related to epubs.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:08 AM   #7
Ksquared
Groupie
Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ksquared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Original Kobo Aura 6", Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.
So, Fbone - what did you decide? I always find it interesting what people find more important. For me:
  • I use kepub mostly because I like the statistics.
  • I like the "near" full screen - no header and page numbers at the bottom, but I updated the firmware and am not inclined to go back. I can live with the title.
  • I have had a hard time noticing the speed differences - maybe I have slow eyes or read slower than others. To me it is still faster than turning a paper page.

Happy e-reading!
Ksquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 12:43 AM   #8
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

I decided to stay with 3.15. But I'll keep an eye on any future updates and hacks. The official updates seem to occur less frequently.