Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-13-2013, 09:46 AM   #106
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
If you buy a pair of pants that doesn't have a button, people aren't going to care that they can go buy a button for 50 cents. They expect their pants to have a button.
^This!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:26 PM   #107
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
If you buy a pair of pants that doesn't have a button, people aren't going to care that they can go buy a button for 50 cents. They expect their pants to have a button.
Bingo!

Also have we really gotten so impatient that we can't wait a few seconds for a pc to boot up? That's pretty sad.

I will ALWAYS have a pc because it is much easier for me to do everything I do with my pc in comfort. It is able to hold all of my programs, books, documents etc that no tablet will ever be able to do.

In a crunch I MIGHT look up something quick on the web with my SGP5 if I can find a wifi signal, but to use it constantly to browse the web is out of the question same thing with my N7. For reading books or listening to music these two items are great, but that's about it.

The tech has matured for pc's so there is no need to constantly upgrade them. My last pc before I got the one I'm using now back in 2010 was over 10 years old, I expect to have this one at least that long if not longer. It does everything I need it to do at a fast enough speed for me.

I think a lot of you base your opinions of the minority tech geeks and not your average user. Believe me there are more of us then there are of the geeks.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #108
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Out of curiosity, why do you need a dedicated graphics card? There are genuine uses for having one, but today's embedded graphics card are "good enough" for what most people do, including playing 1080p videos and casual gaming. Even my N10 can happily play 1080p.
My experience with Intel Graphics is their terrible but usually their hyped up as being able to handle newish games until you actually try, then your lucky to go ten minutes at a time before everything crashes not to mention you only get the very bareboned graphics and very poor frame rates.

I'd prefer to buy a PC with a decent card because as well as just being superior at games it means it has to have a half decent power supply which means you can change the card if you want, with the intel graphics systems your likely to blow the barebones power supply very quickly if you try and put a decent video card in there.

Basicly if I'm paying big money for a PC I want a decent PC not a Laptop in a big case.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:45 PM   #109
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
If the alternatives were to buy pants that cost twice as much (from the Apple Fashion Boutique), sew your own pants (after buying the bits and pieces from Penguin Fabrics), or running around naked ... I think people would choose to sew on that 50 cent button.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #110
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
My experience with Intel Graphics is their terrible but usually their hyped up as being able to handle newish games until you actually try, then your lucky to go ten minutes at a time before everything crashes not to mention you only get the very bareboned graphics and very poor frame rates.
It depends upon what you're using your computer for. Most people can get away with Intel video. That includes some game players, since there are a lot of games that aren't particularly demanding on the graphics card.
Advert
Old 04-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #111
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
So, buy pants with a button. Don't buy pants with a zipper then demand the manufacturer retrofit the pants with buttons.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #112
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
I'd say whoever sells pants without the button probably will go out of business and deservedly so, to me Windows 8 is a big step back in functionality and I find the Metro interface itself ugly I also see no reason at all for computers to have a touchscreen that's a compromise for mobile devices I don't want on my main PC.

Microsoft should have left the 7 desktop alone and not forced people to boot into Metro I'd personally rather wait an extra 30 seconds and get to a proper desktop.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #113
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
So, buy pants with a button. Don't buy pants with a zipper then demand the manufacturer retrofit the pants with buttons.
I wasn't talking about a button-fly vs. a zipper. I was referring to the button at the at the top, which pants have whether they are button-fly or if they have a zipper.

That button is just something that people expect to have on a pair of pants. If a clothing manufacturer doesn't include that button, they don't have to, but they had better be prepared for a lot of dissatisfied customers.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:47 PM   #114
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I wasn't talking about a button-fly vs. a zipper. I was referring to the button at the at the top, which pants have whether they are button-fly or if they have a zipper.
Purely as a matter of interest, I don't think any of the trousers I've bought in recent years have had a button; metal "hook and eye" type arrangements seem to be the norm in Britain at least, these days.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:52 PM   #115
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??? I have seen quite a few posters complaining about no start button on windows 8 when you can get one for 5 dollars USD or some free alternatives:
Because having to pay a third party for basic functionality that SHOULD NOT have been removed in the first place (as a part of the campaign to force the Fisher-Price UI on people as much as possible) is a disgusting situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Purely as a matter of interest, I don't think any of the trousers I've bought in recent years have had a button; metal "hook and eye" type arrangements seem to be the norm in Britain at least, these days.
We only get those on dress slacks (ie, formal trousers) over here, maybe on business-casual slacks (haven't worn those in 20 years, so can't remember :P).

Last edited by JD Gumby; 04-13-2013 at 03:56 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Because having to pay a third party for basic functionality that SHOULD NOT have been removed in the first place (as a part of the campaign to force the Fisher-Price UI on people as much as possible) is a disgusting situation.
These days I don't miss the "Start" menu at all. I far prefer the Win8 UI. The fact that one is used to something doesn't necessarily mean that it's always the best solution.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #117
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
That's crazy talk, Harry. I don't miss zippers much either. Well, except when we are winter camping. The button flys are drafty and the buttons hold the cold.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #118
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
AM I MISSING SOMETHING HERE??? I have seen quite a few posters complaining about no start button on windows 8 when you can get one for 5 dollars USD or some free alternatives:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...on-267616.html

So you can buy a 500 dollar notebook but will not pay 5 dollars USD for a start button or download a free program that will give you a windows 7 start up?

Windows 8 is better than 7 in my book and only need a bit of tweaking to get a start button on it.
The complains come from the paradigm shift. If you are working on the Desktop mode and want to open a new desktop app, it is now more convoluted (without putting back the start button) than it used to be. What's the rationale for making things more complicated?

So you're one of those saying that W8 is better than W7, yet you make W8 look like W7 by adding the start button. Nice.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #119
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
When I built my PC I decided not to add a dedicated graphics card, I'm using the integrated one (HD 4000) and, given that I do not do gaming and most of what I do is software development and watching the odd movie at 1080p, it performs beautifully. It all depends on your needs, if you're going to do high end games, or photoshopping, you'll see a performance improvement by having a dedicated graphics card.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #120
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Another consideration in the graphics card department is the need, or lack of need, for
supporting technology. For instance a Home Theater PC might benefit form modern
3D display capabilities, not just the kind used in games. Some GPUs make some
processing power available for other functions, like transcoding or applying filters to
video.

One of the advantages the desktop PC has over a laptop or tablet is the ability to
adapt with changes to such components as needed or to take advantage of new
and improved tech.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote