Notices

Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
badspell68
Scifi is a Digital World
badspell68 doesn't litterbadspell68 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
SD Memory card ...How to see it

Hi all,

I have no idea how to see the memory card after I put it in my PSR-500.
I formatted it FAT, then put a PDF file, doc file and a txt in the reader folder. After inserting it the reader does an arrow thing for a bit but I don’t see any files or any category or anything on the display that indicates how to access the reader. I am loading the SD card with an external USB card reader.
badspell68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, badspell68!

I'm not entirely certain that I'm following what you're asking about, so If this answer seems to be totally off, that's why.

When you put a memory card in the Reader, it searches the whole card for any file types it recognizes (that's the spinning arrow thing). When it finds them it will simply add them to the list of files: pictures under pictures, audio under audio, and anything it sees as books under the list of all books.

They won't be in any sort of category or anything (unless you use the eBook Library software to build categories on the memory card), but they'll have a little icon next to the name in the list to indicate that the files that are on the card (it looks like a little memory card, unimaginatively). If you have a file on the card that isn't showing up under the all books menu, then there's probably something off in the file. That's not the only possible reason, just the most likely one.

One note about PDF files, in case you don't know this already, if they're formatted for a letter sized "page" they'll be pretty much unreadable in on the Reader. Once a ~14" diagonal "page" is scaled down to the Reader's 6" display, it's just too much shrinkage.

If, however, the PDF's "pages" are formatted the same size as the Reader's display, they work quite well. The only hazards there are that big files can have some problems when they get above page 1,000 and page turn speed can be a bit slow.

Hopefully that answers what you're wanting to know. If not, ask again and we'll take another swipe at it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2008, 10:13 AM   #3
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
I'm not seeing files placed on my SD card either. (It's a PNY 1GB, wghich is supposed to be "OK.") The SD card shows up in the Library software, and I dragged some RTF files onto it. The files show up just fine (and can be opened/read) on the Library menu on the SD card. However, these files do not appear on the Reader itself. The total number of books shown on the Reader menu does not include these files on the SD card either. I did a full shutdown and restart of my Reader, to no avail. Suggestions?

EDIT: I found another thread on SD card issues. I will try reformatting the card as FAT and see if that helps. Strange that the files are visible in the Library but not thru the Reader.

UPDATE: Formatted SD card as FAT. Added rtf files both directly to the card and by dragging onto the SD label in Library after connecting the Reader to my pc. Files are visible and readable in Library, and *still* don't show up on the Reader itself. Help???

SECOND UPDATE: I tried another SD card I had--no problem. (It's a Kingston 1GB microSD in an adapter.) So, it looks like the PNY 1GB might *not* be compatible after all. (At least with the 505.)

Last edited by DrMoze; 01-29-2008 at 10:22 AM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote