Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #271
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
OMG I think I've become a fan-boi!
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #272
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Since the 6.2.1 update removed some of the jitteryness from the device I've been much happier. Now, if they'd just give us more options for customizing the UI.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 PM   #273
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
HAPPY!
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #274
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
The update improved things. Now that everyone has their own, I have begun to play. I have decided that the Fire is a really good reader. Much better in low light than the Kindle. There is not much direct sun this time of year, but glare has not been an issue so far. Color is nice and the images are impressive. The WSJ app is excellent.

It's a good movie and music player too. I use Netflix and TuneIn most of the time, but I have a couple movies and albums on the device and in the cloud. I also have Emit installed to stream movies from my PC when I'm on the eliptical machine. The fire is a great accessory for the eliptical machine -- it sits right there in the place that was, I think, intended for a book or magazine.

I've installed Box (not dropbox) and the Nook app and a few games. I got the Documents to Go free app to view and edit my own docs and spreadsheets. I play a few games (Angry Birds is kind of fun). I found this wifi analyzer app that wants me to change the channel on my router.

My family has started using an app called Cozi to sync our busy lives.

I installed an RDP client called 2X that lets me run Windows 7 from my Kindle. Not sure what I'm going to do with this, but it's kind of cool. I installed DOSBOX. This is still kind of messy, but I have run an old Risk game, Wolfenstein 3D, and Windows 3.

I'm having a lot of fun with this toy. Definately a 10.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #275
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Mantano which is my epub Reader works on the Fire. So I am a happy camper! add ColorDict with my dictionaries and it's pure bliss!
Blossom hi, could you tell me a bit about ColorDict and Dictionaries!

Regards

Alibaba32
PS. Going to buy the Fire when available in Europe. Thanks to all the forum members for their reviews and sure-Fire advice.
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #276
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alibaba32 View Post
Blossom hi, could you tell me a bit about ColorDict and Dictionaries!

Regards

Alibaba32
PS. Going to buy the Fire when available in Europe. Thanks to all the forum members for their reviews and sure-Fire advice.
ColorDict is a dictionary program that works with Mantano and Cool Reader or by itself. It's available on the Market. I'm not sure where else. The default dictionary is Wordnet but on the net you can search for StarDict dictionaries and it will use that format. There is info on how to install them on Colordict's website.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 06:53 PM   #277
Alibaba32
Alibaba32 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle pc
Blossom, many thanks for the info, will do some web searching.

Regards
Alibaba32

Not long now, but Happy New Year in advance.
Alibaba32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:38 AM   #278
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:

Regards
Alibaba32

Happy New year to you too!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #279
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by friktion View Post
UNBELIEVABLE! I am happy on a "12" level.

I had bought a Kobo tablet (2 weeks ago), and received my Fire tablet yesterday at 17:00. The Kobo was neat, but irritating in so many little ways (I realize this is my own opinion, though).

No in-betweens, no reservations, this thing is SO much sturdier and I find the interface is so well-thought out.

If you are a beginner, you can keep all their screens - and be fed the easy way everything you like - or, if you are nosy and curious like me, it will take you about a minute to start changing the setup to suit your needs.

I AM SOOOOO HAPPY with this tablet!

And thank you, from an Android newbie (although not a computer newbie) for all the tips and tricks and especially those of you who mentioned DropBox ...
For most things, I'm happy at the 10 level. It was an unexpected gift and I can't afford an iPad (which I really, really want). I might say that I would like a camera, microphone and speaker but I'm on the thing from 9 AM to 9 PM without all that. I hate to think how many hours I would use it if all that was there. I have to work some time.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #280
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm still using the NOOK app for some of my magazines (The Economist, The Atlantic, Bloomberg Markets, and the Nation). There are no specific Kindle Fire editions for these. What you get is basically an RSS feed. Which is fine for the eInk Kindles. I found a few magazines that are Kindle Fire specific, but the selection is paltry. I hope this improves very soon. I'd like to give up the NOOK app if I can.
The Nook application works on the Fire.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #281
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Now why do you want Win 3.1 on your Fire?
Why not? I miss Win 3.1. LOL
Old 01-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #282
beej231
Addict

Quote:

Regards
Alibaba32

Happy New Year (sort of behind)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #283
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love the form factor (compared to my Xoom). I was very skeptical at first but it's so portable, holdable and usable. It's not the best for web browsing but everything else work fine or better.
I think Apple is totally wrong about a no market for a product between iPhone and iPad. Many ppl can't afford an iPad but need something a little larger than the phone and find the regular Kindle a little boring by comparison. (I loved mine but found it quite dull compared to a friend's iPad and even my own iPhone). The Fire fills the gap quite nicely with a totally different market of apps. Love it.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #284
beej231
Addict

I'm not quote sure why my replies end up on the wrong place.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #285
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by beej231 View Post
... Many ppl can't afford an iPad ....
I can afford it, I just don't want it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote