Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
danazx
danazx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PPRS-700
Help Sorting DRM

hi,

I've reviewed a few threads about DRM, Adobe Digital Editions and Sony Store. Pretty confusing stuff.

I am trying to use overdrive.com to check out ebooks from the library.

I'm using a mac 10.5.8, ADE 1.7.1 and the Reader Library 3.1. My understanding is that ADE is useless for transferring books my ereader as the ereader does not show up on a mac.

My computer and my reader are authorized with my adobe ID. I've double checked this by checking under "About Reader Library" it has the correct email.

I've downloaded two type of books (all adobe protected) epubs and pdfs. I can open the epub on my computer in Reader Library and transfer it but can not open it on the ereader (I get a "Restricted Page" error. I can no open the PDF file, I get a message that the Computer is not authorized.

I do use a different email when I log into the actual sony store. Does that email have to match the email that the computer and ereader are authorized with? Is the ereader automatically authrized with the same info as the computer? It seemed like that's what happened but I am now completely confused.

BTW, I can open books that I got from the store. I've only gotten a few and really don't care if I can access them anymore so if anyone can tell me how to reset with out having to call anyone that would be great. Make a new store account?

Thanks!
Dana
Dana
danazx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:32 AM   #2
blueglide
blueglide began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Don't you just love this stuff!?! I think the Sony store software and its integration with ADE is a mess...my computer is no longer authorized with them but I can still buy/download/transfer books. Oh well, it works. Your problem sounds like the Sony store is confused about your AdobeID accounts also and so some of your stuff is authorized and some not..who knows. If you start deactivating and reactivating things you're gonna have the same problem I had which is the dreaded 'too many activations' error. If you truly don't care about the few books you have already downloaded and you don't want to wait on the phone forever with tech support, you could always create a new AdobeID account and start from scratch with 6 new activations. I would create a new Sony store account too....can't remember for sure but I believe I used the same email info for the store account as the AdobeID. The problem trying to debug this problem is that by the time you sort it out you will probably have used your allowed activations and then you have to have tech support straighten it out.
blueglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 AM   #3
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
On my windows machine I had to enter my Adobe ID within the Sony Software was that an option on the Sony software for the Mac?
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
blueglide

Yes, that option was there..but I was/am a total noob to this stuff (didn't even know what an AdobeID was). From what I have been able to gather (and remember) the Sony software asks for your AdobeID and if you don't have one it creates one in the background??? but at the same time it takes you to the Adobe website where you can create one or login. I think what happens is you end up with your AdobeID account and an anonymous account that Sony creates...thats why I still get told everytime I login to the store that my computer is authorized to another account even though its authorized to the only AdobeID I have. My reader has stayed authorized in the store but my computer will only stay authorized for at most a day...yet, it still works! Sounds like the OP has a similar problem.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
danazx
danazx began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PPRS-700
another try

I'm going to try a few things before resetting my adobe id as I am about 99% sure that it is fine. I've had an id for years as I'm a graphic designer and have used adobe products for over 10 years, I've always had just one.

I'm a little closer. What I had done before was when I downloaded the files from overdrive I had them open in the sony reader library (SRL). As I mentioned the epub worked fine on the computer but the pdf did not. When I tried opening the in ADE, same thing.

I changed the email I used on the SRL. So now the email and password match my adobe id.

I redownloaded the files and had them open first in ADE instead of the SRL.

Now both the epub and pdf open fine on the computer in the SRL and ADE. But I'm still getting the restricted page error on the reader after I transferred the new downloads (via SRL as I can't transfer it via ADE on a mac).

Can anyone tell me how I can check what the authorization id is on the reader? I'm assuming it can be different than on authorization id on the computer. (I don't see how...but that doesn't mean anything!)

Thanks
Dana
danazx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
blueglide

Have you tried deauthorizing and then reauthorizing your reader thru the Sony store account...in 'manage devices' section yet?