Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #31
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartveld View Post
Yes, I've seen those "why-don't-you-stop-whining-and-read" reactions before. I use an ereader to read, certainly. I happen to be very picky when it comes to fonts and all standard fonts on the Kindle are ugly. The only way to use your own font is to hack the device (ixtab made a brilliant hack for the KT).
And then the Glo: create a dir named "fonts", put in your font and bingo!
5.3.0 supports custom fonts without any jailbreak by this method (read a bit more user-friendly description here).

Just look at screenshot.

(This way was available up to 5.2.0, was missing in 5.2.0 and now is working again in 5.3.0. Thanks to adamselene for re-discovering it.)

Last edited by eureka; 11-30-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: thanks to adamselene
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #32
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Is the Kobo Glo really comparable? I have not seen one but the comparison that I saw on Youtube was very unflattering to the Kobo. The Kobo screen tinted all of the the text blue when the light was bright and in typical use the lettering was much more black and white on the pw.

That said I am definitely jealous of the extra storage.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #33
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
Anyway, I'm currently looking into how 5.3.0 can be jailbroken. I'm not entirely there yet, but I did find a vector* which requires manual user intervention (interaction ON the device screen), no way to automate it. Would that qualify as "benign and safe enough" for you? If so, would you agree that Amazon should leave that little loophole in? And do you think they will?
I don't know what's safe enough. I'm simply pointing out that there are possible threats and that people should consider them.

I don't have a problem with jailbreaking. I don't think it should be illegal. I think that you should be able to modify your gear as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences if it goes blammo.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 AM   #34
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Whatever the results and the rights and wrongs and whether Amazon's actions are necessary, it adds to Amazon devices' reputation as the most closed platforms on the market. -10

And that stuff about uploading the log file to Amazon is bordering on Orwellian. What's in that file? It deserves its own thread. Is there one? There should be.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #35
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Whatever the results and the rights and wrongs and whether Amazon's actions are necessary, it adds to Amazon devices' reputation as the most closed platforms on the market. -10
If you already percieve Kindles as the most closed platform, then it surely does not hurt Amazons reputation in any way to enforce that. They could even put that as a plus for them to show investors / publishers how serious they are about security holes and fixing them. I don't agree with it, but just saying that it makes sense from a business view of point.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #36
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Not even sure why people buy the kindle in the first place and then complain it does not work as a can opener etc. It is a great READER!!! Enjoy it, and yes if you do not want it to read with, definitely find something else.
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #37
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondelfin View Post
Not even sure why people buy the kindle in the first place and then complain it does not work as a can opener etc. It is a great READER!!! Enjoy it, and yes if you do not want it to read with, definitely find something else.
The OP specifically said that they only wanted to read on their Kindle:
Quote:
Yes, I've seen those "why-don't-you-stop-whining-and-read" reactions before. I use an ereader to read, certainly. I happen to be very picky when it comes to fonts and all standard fonts on the Kindle are ugly. The only way to use your own font is to hack the device (ixtab made a brilliant hack for the KT).
And then the Glo: create a dir named "fonts", put in your font and bingo!
I definitely wouldn't have bought a Kindle if it wasn't for the jailbreak/homebrew community. I won't fault Amazon for not including epub support, but their pdf handling on the Kindle Keyboard is pretty much unusable (I haven't been following the newer models closely enough to know if pdf handling has changed on them). Meanwhile, the homebrew community has created a GREAT pdf viewer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PauN_9O4dM&feature=plcp

Jailbreaking isn't just about turning your Kindle into a can opener. It's about filling in the holes as far as features go, and at least to me, being able to hack/jailbreak something is as much of a selling point as anything else (even though it's obviously not an "official" feature).
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #38
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
Quote:
the comparison that I saw on Youtube was very unflattering to the Kobo. The Kobo screen tinted all of the the text blue when the light was bright and in typical use the lettering was much more black and white on the pw.
The Kobo fonts can be adjusted to look just as dark as the ones on the Paperwhite.
The Kobo is less blue than the Nook Glowlight but a wee bit more blue than the Paperwhite. And my third Paperwhite (I'm a glutton for punishment, I guess) is more blue than the first two I tried.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:46 PM   #39
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hmmm. The PW seems just fine the way it is to me. I bought it to read books on.
I am glad you happen to like the way the books are formatted on Kindle.
I happen to have a bit different taste. Previous versions of Kindle had an option to make text left justified and to set narrower margin. Why did they remove it?

Would it be THAT difficult to give us choice of font sizes, user-installed fonts, justifications, line space, margins ...
PaperWhite doesn't even support hyphenation!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #40
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am glad you happen to like the way the books are formatted on Kindle.
I happen to have a bit different taste. Previous versions of Kindle had an option to make text left justified and to set narrower margin. Why did they remove it?

Would it be THAT difficult to give us choice of font sizes, user-installed fonts, justifications, line space, margins ...
PaperWhite doesn't even support hyphenation!
I don't generally mind the full justification, but in some books it results in gaps that are either too big or too small. They should restore the option to turn it off.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #41
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I don't generally mind the full justification, but in some books it results in gaps that are either too big or too small. They should restore the option to turn it off.
... but this problem only exists because hyphenation isn't supported. See the second screenshot of this post for a "good" layout. (Yes, shameless self-advertising )
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #42
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
Is the Kobo Glo really comparable? I have not seen one but the comparison that I saw on Youtube was very unflattering to the Kobo. The Kobo screen tinted all of the the text blue when the light was bright and in typical use the lettering was much more black and white on the pw.
I think NNolan is spot on, the review maybe makes it look a lot worse than it actually is. In terms of the quality of the light the PW is probably the best, but the blue tinge to the Glo isn't that noticeable. Most people won't even see it unless they compared it side by side with a Kindle for example. Then again some might find it a little cold, and the light is also brighter on the Glo. Some find it a touch too bright in a dark room, and perhaps if your eyes are sensitive they might tire more easily using the Glo than the slightly warmer, less harsh light on the PW?

The light on the Glo is however a lot better than the Paperwhite in that it's more uniform across the screen. It doesn't suffer from colour blotches at all and has far less shadows.

Comparing a 'good' Paperwhite screen to a Kobo Glo with them both set at similar light levels there will probably not be a great deal to choose between them, but at least with the Glo you know what the light and screen will be like before you buy it, whereas with the Paperwhite, there doesn't seem to be any guarantee!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #43
BuddyBoy
eBookin' Fool
BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BuddyBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KK, iPad (Ex Prs 505, 500, Reb1100-2150, Rocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie View Post
Wow! you really are picky. Well enjoy the new toy and would love to have feedback on it.
I am one of those people who wouldn't know a 'jail-break' if it came up and bit me on the bum. Technically minded I am not. So I am not one who can talk about this with full understanding. Nor do I care to, as all I wish do on my K3 is read. I think, that in general, I represent a majority of the members here. Yes would like a little more control over organising my books, but all in all just want a good e-reader. Which the Kindle is.
This cracks me up. "I am not one who can talk about this with full understanding. Nor do I care to," but nevertheless I have an opinion, and I think most people are like me.

BuddyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM   #44
cathie
Connoisseur
cathie doesn't littercathie doesn't littercathie doesn't litter

Device: kindle, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
This cracks me up. "I am not one who can talk about this with full understanding. Nor do I care to," but nevertheless I have an opinion, and I think most people are like me.

Sorry, my bad
What I meant to say was, that MOST people who OWN a kindle use it to read. And they bought it for it's ability and reliability as a good reader, NOTHING ELSE. They have no interest to 'tweek' or 'jailbreak' etc. I being one of them.
As I said I am not technically inclined, which is why I joined this forum, to gain insight and understanding of what can be done to my kindle. Believe it or not, alot of kindle owners do not subscribe to this site.
So in essence what I am trying to say is, I understand the homebrewings crowds frustration with this, BUT as they are a small percentage of kindle owners who feel like this, I don't think that Amazon are going to take their wishes into account.
cathie is offline   Reply With Quote