Notices

Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM   #1
parryl
Enthusiast
parryl began at the beginning.

Device: iliad / nokia 6600 slide
mind mapping tools ?

hi folks,

any one seem any version of mindmaping tools for irex ?

some thing close to www.imindmap.com ?

thanks
parry
parryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
Notice that "Mind Map" is a trademark :/

While I'd wish for something like that, I'm sure there isn't any dedicated eInk software for mindmaps.

However the iLiad got a Stylus-Notepad.. Why not just make MindMaps (aka semantic webs) there?
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Can Iliad run Java application?
There is an excellent freeware mindmapping program 'freemind' written in Java.
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki....php/Main_Page
Since it is written in Java, it may work on Iliad if Iliad can run Java application.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
It can run Java applications, but the JVM is not a standard Sun JVM so it may lack some features.
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Question: What features would you want the software to do, a normal paper-style notepad cannot do?
Advert
Old 05-21-2008, 08:24 AM   #6
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
Question: What features would you want the software to do, a normal paper-style notepad cannot do?
  1. drag branches around from one place to another;
  2. add notes to branch items;
  3. produce xhtml or other exports that have the mindmap image at the top where each branch is a hyperlink to the notes
...and there are others. I too use freemind and find it very useful. It would be awesome to have a compatible application on the iliad, but I can't see it happening soon unfortunately.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 AM   #7
mvoosten
Zealot
mvoosten began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Would love one too!!
mvoosten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
axel77
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daudi View Post
  1. drag branches around from one place to another;
  2. add notes to branch items;
  3. produce xhtml or other exports that have the mindmap image at the top where each branch is a hyperlink to the notes
...and there are others.
I don't know about the others...but I'd wish this 3 features too.

I wonder however if we could not instead wish for a "general purpose" paper-note editing tools, where you can link notes together, and drag them around after the "post-it" paradigm... For this mindmaps(TM) would be just a special use case...

Last edited by axel77; 05-21-2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I don't know about the others...but I'd wish this 3 features too.

I wonder however if we could not instead wish for a "general purpose" paper-note editing tools, where you can link notes together, and drag them around after the "post-it" paradigm... For this mindmaps(TM) would be just a special use case...
We can definitely wish for this. I'll start wishing right away

But seriously, you are right about it being better to conceive of this as a special case. However, someone has to write the thing, and while there seem to be several people willing to use java it probably can't be done with java because of the limitations of the VM on the iliad. That leaves C++ I think, and I get the impression there aren't too many C++ programmers hanging around here with time on their hands. I'm wandering dangerously close to the limits of my knowledge of programming etc. here, so correct me if I wrong.

But then again (taking a confident step beyond the limits of my knowledge), the scribbles are written directly to the framebuffer so does this mean that the limitations of the installed java could be less important (e.g. no gui toolkit or at least no swing, perhaps no AWT). If the java VM could write directly to the framebuffer then perhaps someone with java skills could write something to manipulate scribbles directly on the iliad.
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 AM   #10
axel77
Fanatic

I'm a C++ coder, I just have not the time right now...

And sure when you write software dedicated to the iLiad, java would be IMHO a very questionworthy decision.

My personal problem with coding a hugh project dedicated especially to the iLiad is, beside other projects being a tad more important right now, I'm not too confident in iRex' future... Honestly I'd don't be too surprised if they'd get out of business in a year or two... they still do the good fight. But new silver casings and removed Wifi will not get the device uptodate to meet costumers desires, like suspend, fast boot time, SD card, reduced stylus gaps. etc. and all together we are currently left with no idea what they will come up with.

Also the iLiad is AFAIK the only really "codable" device, so when it might go we are left without any devices. (And no Astaks Windows CE is no option ) Nor is there a deviceindependent API availabe for Stylus I/O...

Last edited by axel77; 05-21-2008 at 10:31 AM.