Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #46
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I always use the advanced search first time, seems to remember the settings for the rest of the session then.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #47
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW
Ke-ripes...BoB has it for $8.70. Competition is a wonderful thing.
Now $9.87, but still a great deal. Unfortunately, it seems this book is not available to Canadian customers via BoB.

Are there any Canadian customers here who use workarounds to purchase via this site?

Last edited by holymadness; 09-11-2012 at 12:37 PM.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I think it is great. I won't buy books from Apple since they cannotbe liberated but it is nice to see the competition.
See the post on our friend Alf's site about Requiem. (haven't tried it myself)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #49
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, K3
Here's something revealing:

The US Amazon.com price on Neil Gaiman's "American Gods" is $7.59.

When I go to BOB and click on the "buy for Kindle" button, I'm redirected to US Amazon.com and the price is $6.99.

Apparently Amazon is punishing its own customers for shopping from Amazon first, but rewarding people who shop around to compare prices, and who are then redirected to their own website.

This is good to know, and I'm going to start making even more use of the Calibre compare prices function.
robbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #50
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbw View Post
I'm going to start making even more use of the Calibre compare prices function.
What is this?
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #51
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:

When I go to BOB and click on the "buy for Kindle" button, I'm redirected to US Amazon.com and the price is $6.99.

Apparently Amazon is punishing its own customers for shopping from Amazon first, but rewarding people who shop around to compare prices, and who are then redirected to their own website.

This is good to know, and I'm going to start making even more use of the Calibre compare prices function.
How strange. I'll have to start checking that in the future. I'm glad I got the $2 price on that one last January.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #52
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

There are two versions. "Regular" American Gods is $7.59 going through Amazon direct or through BoB. American Gods 10th Anniversary Edition is $6.99 going through Amazon direct or BoB. (at least that's what I'm seeing)
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #53
Rebecca_06
Rebecca_06 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
What is this?
I had to google this, as I totally missed that Calibre had added it. Looks like a really great feature!

Quote:
calibre can now search over a dozen web stores like Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Waterstones, etc. for ebook editions of the book you want. The results are displayed sorted by price, so you can easily find the lowest priced edition to add to your collection. This feature, like the rest of calibre is plugin based, so look forward to new stores being added in the future.

Note that if you have customized your the toolbar in calibre in the past, you may not see the Get Books button in the toolbar. You can go to Preferences->Toolbar and add it to the toolbar manually.
Link.
Rebecca_06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:23 PM   #54
robbw
Connoisseur
robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
What is this?
It's called "Get Books".

Look for the blue* icon with the globe in the top of your screen (I'm using Mac, YMMV).

*blue, not blue-green.

Last edited by robbw; 09-11-2012 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #55
robbw
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There are two versions. "Regular" American Gods is $7.59 going through Amazon direct or through BoB. American Gods 10th Anniversary Edition is $6.99 going through Amazon direct or BoB. (at least that's what I'm seeing)
Now the Amazon site is even more confusing for me. Dealing only with the 10th Anniversary edition, I get a BOB-referred Amazon price of $6.99. When I search Amazon for the 10th Anniversary edition, the first price listed (10th Anniv.) is $7.59, the second price listed links to $6.99.

Maybe the site is under active revision?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by melmac View Post
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who finds their site a nightmare to search on. When I type in an authors name I should then be able to drill the results down to only show ebooks instead of dozens of audiobooks I don't want. Sometimes I think web designers never spend any time using their own site.
You can go to advanced search and choose only ebook formats without audio.
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:13 PM   #57
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
See the post on our friend Alf's site about Requiem. (haven't tried it myself)
Had a couple of eBooks from Apple and Requiem 3.3.5 worked fine.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:19 PM   #58
robbw
Connoisseur

Thanks sadievan, that's good to know.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #59
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
It seems the retailers are staying within the 30% commission.

To be honest, it now will take me longer to shop as I have to calculate which site is cheaper. There may be sales, discount coupons and codes, store rebates, credit card rebates, formats, and ease of purchase to factor in.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #60
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Now $9.87, but still a great deal. Unfortunately, it seems this book is not available to Canadian customers via BoB.

Are there any Canadian customers here who use workarounds to purchase via this site?
I have my family's cabin in the US listed as my address for BOB--any US address will do. I buy in US currency, and check out using the Google wallet option, as their regular cart says that the address must match the address on my credit card. I had Hot Spot Shield tuned on when I bought a book from them yesterday, but I am not sure you have to actually do that.

BTW, the book I bought (Chabon's Telegraph Avenue) was $9.xx yesterday, and is $13.xx today. It was not available in Canada at the time. Amazon, yesterday, was charging $16.xx for the kindle edition in the states.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote