Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
Shelley Brewster
Shelley Brewster began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
For Florida Fiction: Hiaasen, Leonard & Levine

As a Floridian, I love Carl Hiaasen’s wacky novels books and Paul Levine’s harder-boiled, yet witty novels, so I enjoyed seeing them mentioned together on Kindle Nation.
K.N. also links both authors to Robert Parker’s Spenser series, another of my favorites.

I enjoyed Hiaasen’s “Star Island” this summer and just downloaded Levine’s $2.99 Kindle version of “Mortal Sin,” which I read in hardcover years ago. Both writers won the John D. MacDonald Florida Fiction Prize, as did Elmore Leonard and James W. Hall, two more of my favorites.

Here’s what Kindle Nation said over the weekend about “Mortal Sin.”.

“[A twisted sense of place and people] is what Paul Levine does in his Jake Lassiter series. And in the same way that this is true for Hiaasen and Parker, it is true for Levine that it doesn't matter where you start. I mean, you gotta start at the beginning of a book, don't get me wrong. But whether you start with this one, “Mortal Sin” -- which is my favorite so far -- or go back all the way down the alley to begin with “To Speak for the Dead,” I think you're going to laugh out loud, and Jake is going to make you think, and you're probably going to want to have a beer with him.”

What writers of Florida fiction do you like?
Shelley Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
John D. MacDonald is way up there on my list. His Travis McGee series is outstanding. Based on Florida in the 60's and 70's.

If you like Hiaasen then you might also like Tim Dorsey

I notice that you have 2 posts and both praise Levine. Do you have some kind of affilliation?

Last edited by edbro; 10-18-2010 at 03:55 PM.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Jeff Lindsay's Dexter books are set in and around Miami. I'm currently reading Dexter is Delicious. I agree with others who've written that the series has never really been the same since the "midichlorian" explanation of the Dark Passenger, and Dexter is being seriously denatured, but the wordplay and wry observations still mostly work.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM   #4
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm a little slow on the uptake, as I just discovered this thread from October. But thank you, Shelley.

Edbro, John D. MacDonald was a huge influence on my writing. Many reviews of the early Lassiter novels said things like "Jake Lassiter is Travis McGee with a law degree." (L.A. Times, if I remember correctly). In the mid-1990's, I was the second winner (after Elmore Leonard) of the John D. MacDonald Award for Florida fiction, something that's very meaningful to me.

The first line of JDM's "Cinnamon Skin" haunts me still. "There are no 100 per cent heroes." It's always been my touchstone for creating a protagonist.

No doubt in my mind that my old pals Carl Hiaasen and James W. Hall also credit JDM as a major influence.

Thanks.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I'm reading a mystery book set near Sarasota right now: Cat Sitter Among the Pigeons.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I've enjoyed Tom Corcoran's Alex Rutledge crime novels. The Rutledge character is a commercial photographer based in Key West who shoots forensic pix for the local police and sheriff as a sideline which gets him involved in murder cases, the classic "amateur sleuth" format. They're fun reads, particularly if you are familiar with the Keys.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I recently read a good thriller called The Perfect Woman by James Andrus. It is set in Jacksonville. It was either free or cheap at Amazon. I highly recommend it if you are looking for a murder mystery.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Have you read Swamplandia by Karen Russell?
Carl Hiassen has a review at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Swamplandia-eb...7616468&sr=1-1
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
And of course there's Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' The Yearling and Cross Creek.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM   #10
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The spookiest part of Four and Twenty take place in Florida. In the swamp. Scary!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #11
jkeene
Connoisseur
jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.jkeene understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Kindle 3
Red Thunder by John Varley has Florida eccentrics, swamps and rocket ships. Fast and funny sci-fi, highly recommended.
jkeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I'll add all the Randy Wayne White books. They are similar to the Travis McGee series but not as dated.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #13
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
I'll add all the Randy Wayne White books...
I agree they're good, but not personal my favs.

One book I enjoyed was Miami Noir (http://www.amazon.com/Miami-Noir-ebo...7725596&sr=8-3), edited by Les Standiford. It's a collection of short stories by a number of different writers. Its a great sampler.

BTW, a number of Randy Wayne White's books were originally published under the pen name Randy Striker. If you dig around in used bookstores you may find them under that name. The new reprints have both on the cover (e.g. "Randy Wayne White, as Randy Striker").
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:02 PM   #14
egtalbot
Leader of the Conspiracy
egtalbot doesn't litteregtalbot doesn't litter

Device: kindle
I love Hiaasen, but hands down funniest Florida fiction guy is Tim Dorsey. The man is certifiable. His main character is a lovable serial killer with a zest for Florida history. No manner of description could possibly do it justice. I'd start with Orange Crush, which is not his first, but it is one of his best and you can read it without having read any others no problem.

Another great funny Florida author is Laurence Shames. His writing has real moments of brilliance even beyond the moments of humor and the pace is much slower than Dorsey's. His stories featuring Joey Goldman are the ones I've realy enjoyed.
egtalbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:03 PM   #15
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Elmore Leonard and Paul Levine

Here's a photo of me with Elmore Leonard from the mid 1990's. He was the first winner of the John D. MacDonald Fiction Award. I was surprised and proud to be the second. James W. Hall and Carl Hiaasen would follow....two of my favorites.

Paul Levine
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"mortal sin", carl hiaasen, jake lassiter, kindle nation, paul levine