Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #1
weirichk
weirichk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 300
My first dedicated ebook reader

Hello,

I've been reading ebooks since 2000 (thank you BAEN books) and yesterday I bought my first dedicated reader. Until then I had used PDAs, a tablet PC and most recently a blackberry to read. I wanted something that was small and easy to carry. And while I was enamored of the idea of an always connected device, keyboard/touch screen, mp3 player, etc. I eventually realized that I would almost never use most of that. It came down to a face off between the Cybook Opus and the Sony unit. At $80 cheaper and something I could see in a store, the PRS-300 won out. I wish it supported mobi format books since most of my library is in that format, but I can live without that. I wish the ebook software user interface looked nicer, but I can live with that also.

The only oddity I had was when I loaded some Sony format books then registered the device in Adobe Digital Editions. When I went back to read the books in that format they text looked like Sanscrit! Even deleted and re-adding them didn't work. The book I had in epub format was fine. I eventually re-downloaded the books in epub format and they are fine. Since then I bought a book from Sony's store and it is also fine. I am not sure what happened.

-Kurt
weirichk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Enjoy your 300! Strange, but I am GLAD that my Reader is an 'unconnected' device. It is more of an 'escape' for me for reading books just for enjoyment, with no keyboards or online or searches. Just books that I can open up and turn pages. Don't forget to check if you have a local library that lends ebooks!
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Congratulations on your new Reader, weirichk, and welcome to MR!

Don't forget to check out all the beautifully formatted ebooks on MR. Some very dedicated members spend a lot of time to make them available for us.

Jump in, ask questions, and learn about your new "toy'. Have fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 06:53 PM   #4
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Congratulations on your first dedicated ebook reader! One thing for sure? You are going to LOVE IT! I've been accused of being addicted. However, I don't mind, and I don't deny it.
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote