Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #106
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatNY View Post
currently there are more Android apps than iOS apps
--Pat
Just curious.

Do you have any link that supports that statement?
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #107
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanciFreez View Post
I will hide it from my wife.. she will not know the difference, because of the look..
Now ... that is a smart guy, lol ...
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 10:58 PM   #108
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Just curious.

Do you have any link that supports that statement?
Google hit 1 million apps last July. Apple just now hit 1 million apps.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #109
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The apps may have more features, but I'm more interested in device features; such as GPS and NFC. They're available on my N7.2, but not on base iPads. To get GPS, you need to spend another $130; and NFC is non-existent.
Right; but that is of marginal importance to me compared to the advanced functionality of the various apps I consider "mission-critical" for me.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #110
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Right; but that is of marginal importance to me compared to the advanced functionality of the various apps I consider "mission-critical" for me.
And of prime importance for me.

Different needs, different devices. Ain't competition grand?
Advert
Old 10-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #111
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it's wonderful. Right now, it would be impossible for me to use an Android device as my primary handheld device -- Android apps are just lacking the iOS apps' quality at this point. However, I'm absolutely enjoying the new Nexus 7 as my secondary tablet; it's a delightful little machine, fully on a par with an iPad in terms of user experience.

Regarding the apps' capability, the situation may reverse in future, Android apps catching up with and later overtaking iOS apps. Not just in terms of quantity as now, but especially in terms of quality. By pushing iPad mini Retina into the luxury niche, Apple has just made a step in that direction of a "reversal of fortunes".
Old 10-24-2013, 07:59 AM   #112
jocampo
Layback feline

iPad Air and iPad Mini with Retina announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Google hit 1 million apps last July. Apple just now hit 1 million apps.
?

That's an Apple link not a Google link. Android has lot of flavors and screens.

As far as I know , Apple iOS (iPad optimized apps) are still more.

Now , combined, Google maybe has more. But they both play with numbers as I don't think Apple makes a distinction between iPhone and iPad optimized apps.

Last edited by jocampo; 10-24-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #113
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

The article contains data/links to both iOS and Android. Both are over 1 million apps now. Who got there first is irrelevant.

Quantity is secondary. It's about quality. iOS is a clear leader in terms of apps quality for now. Also, in terms of tablet-optimised apps, iOS has a dominating lead over Android for now.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:00 AM   #114
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
?

Now , combined, Google maybe has more. But they both play with numbers as I don't think Apple makes a distinction between iPhone and iPad optimized apps.
No, Google officially has more Android apps in the Play store than there are iOS apps in the iTunes store. From this past July ...

Quote:
Android's Google Play store has just officially reached over 1 million apps and it is now finally outgrown the Apple App Store and its 900 000 applications. That's a huge achievement for Android, the platform that launched as the underdog, after Apple first started the app revolution.

Link
What's most impressive about this feat is the speed with which Google overtook Apple in this area. Just a few years ago, maybe 2 or 3, Android apps were maybe 1/10th the number of apps that were in the Apple store.

The only logical conclusion from this is that Android app development has been exponentially more active than iOS app development over the last few years.

--Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #115
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Also, in terms of tablet-optimised apps, iOS has a dominating lead over Android for now.
Do you have a link for that claim? I have over 200 apps on my 9" Android ablet and I don't see a single one that doesn't work very well with it. Maybe you can name an app or two that isn't optimized for Android, but is for iOS?

-Pat
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #116
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Do you have a link for that claim? I have over 200 apps on my 9" Android ablet and I don't see a single one that doesn't work very well with it. Maybe you can name an app or two that isn't optimized for Android, but is for iOS?

-Pat
My primary use for a tablet is reading PDFs, Pat. The reason I use my iPad, and not my Android tablet, for that purpose is that I've not found an Android PDF reader that comes close to the truly wonderful "Goodreader" PDF reader for iOS.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #117
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
?

Links to both are there.

And it's total number of apps in their respective stores. The original statement made no mention of tablet optimized apps. You're introducing that parameter now.

Funny how Apple stressed overall quantity when they were in the lead. Now that Android has surpassed them in that category, tablet optimized apps are the all important figure. Go figure...
Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #118
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:

-Pat
I've yet to encounter an app on my Nexus 7.2 that didn't scale properly.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 AM   #119
PatNY
Zennist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
My primary use for a tablet is reading PDFs, Pat. The reason I use my iPad, and not my Android tablet, for that purpose is that I've not found an Android PDF reader that comes close to the truly wonderful "Goodreader" PDF reader for iOS.
I'll give you that, Harry. I've tested at least 7 or 8 apps on Android for PDFs looking for an ideal one. The best I've found that I like is the native Nook reader app, which shows each page in large thumbnails on a sliding strip on the bottom. It has bookmarks, but doesn't have other annotations like notes or highlighting. Otherwise I think it is almost perfect.

What does Goodreader have for PDFs that you particularly like?

EDIT: Harry, here's what I think an ideal PDF reader should have:

--Large thumbnail navigation