Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-20-2012, 04:08 AM   #1
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Font embedding

I'm trying to create an ebook of epub format with embedded fonts by using Sigil. And I'm not yet succeeded in that completly. Now i 'm doing it from my PC, i want to check whether it is working properly or not. It is somewhat working in different reading sofware i tried. I can read my epub with embedded fonts in calibre. I wanted to know if i embed fonts by using Sigil how can i validate it ? And one more stupid question is if i succeed in embedding fonts then 'll it display ebook properly on other devices like ipad, android phone, nook, etc. Is there any separate procedure (other than font embedding by using Sigil) to make my epub display properly with the font which i embed on different reading softwares and different readers?
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
I'm trying to create an ebook of epub format with embedded fonts by using Sigil. And I'm not yet succeeded in that completly. Now i 'm doing it from my PC, i want to check whether it is working properly or not. It is somewhat working in different reading sofware i tried. I can read my epub with embedded fonts in calibre. I wanted to know if i embed fonts by using Sigil how can i validate it ? And one more stupid question is if i succeed in embedding fonts then 'll it display ebook properly on other devices like ipad, android phone, nook, etc. Is there any separate procedure (other than font embedding by using Sigil) to make my epub display properly with the font which i embed on different reading softwares and different readers?
If you want to test font embedding support on proprietary EPUB variants , obtaining those devices is the only 100% way to be sure.

PC emulation only goes the first step in the test (PC's tend to have lots of RAM and higher resolution, COLOR displays). The acid test is always the final target.

Right now, I will guess that the will be exactly 0% chance that an embedded font will appear correctly on ALL EPUB reading devices

Pick your main Target Market and make it work there. Then try and make the fallback (no embedded font) look decent.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
sachin
Enthusiast
sachin began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
. Then try and make the fallback (no embedded font) look decent.
Could you explain this please?
sachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin View Post
Could you explain this please?
Code:
font-family: "Georgia", "Times New Roman", "Palatino", serif;
there are 4 font choices shown here: Georgia being the first 'pick' the rest being fall backs (in priority order)

http://htmldog.com/reference/cssproperties/font-family/
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
font embedding