Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #1
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Best Way to Make Covers

What's the best program, service, or method for simple creation of cover images for ebook that show up well on e-ink screens? I'd like something that will make a cover more attractive than Calibre's auto-generation function creates. Even a template that I can alter myself would be fine.
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Calibre's "Generate Cover" plugin is a much more flexible cover generator. You can add this plugin from calibre's Preferences/Plugins dialog.

To expand further you need a decent bitmap/image editor or drawing program that can export JPEG or PNG bitmaps to create either the complete cover or background images for use with the Generate Cover plugin.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
You can use something like Photoshop or Gimp, too. Make a new image. The size ratio is 600x800 (9x12 cm). Then fill in the title and the author, arrange them like you want and use a picture of the original cover, if you can find one, or of the author, or something somehow related to the book.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
1. Adobe Photoshop / GIMP
2. Adobe Illustrator / Inkscape

I would go with option number two. Vector graphics. You never know what will the standard e-reader resolution be 5 years from now. Just look at the iPod touch. The first 3 models (2007-2010) had a 480x320 screen. If you created a 320x320 CD cover and thought to yourself "oh, it's fine for that display", and then in 2010-2011 got the 4th "gen" with its 960x640 display... Guess what? Your cover looked blurry. And you had an entire frigging collection of blurry covers.

But not with SVGs. They scale really well when zoomed and they generally look much more uniform and sharp than rasterized content (or "pixel-based" as someone on this forum put it). Also, SVGs can take up less space when done properly and can even include rasterized content (eg. nature photos, author mugshots, etc).

If you're looking for service I'm sure you can find someone to design covers for you. For a fee. They'll usually do a much better job than simply using a template.

But if you're looking for templates, I'm sure you can find some too.

Methods? There are lots of tutorials and tips on how to create ads, brochures, posters, portfolios, presentations, logos, etc. Even if they may not seem relevant to creating book covers, they're actually very closely related. I'm sure that reading up on design in general can help, if you're serious about this.

Last edited by DSpider; 11-29-2011 at 09:24 AM.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
You can also use ImageMagick. That makes it easy to generate standardized covers from the command line. The following unix shell script generates a bare-bones cover, save it as 'generatecover', make it executable, and run it as
./generatecover "<author>" "<title>"
, and it'll generate a cover.jpg file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
author="$1"
title="$2"
font="Times-Roman"
convert -size 600x800 xc:khaki -gravity Center -fill black -font $font \
 -pointsize 72 -annotate +0-100 "${author}" \
 -pointsize 64 -annotate +0+100 "${title}" cover.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	79697  
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
A good way to make cover images.

Hi Rand

I've done a few covers recently and the one thing that you need more than anything else is a keen eye and a very good imagination. That said, here's the process I use. (I'm not a pro by the way, I'm just a lot better at it than the people who ask me to do it )

What you need to start with:
  • A background picture/image, choice is only limited by imagination.
  • Some form of overlay editor. Sounds complicated, but the likes of good old PowerPoint will give you plenty of options.
  • Finally, you need some sort of image format editor, that's a fancy way to say a photo or picture manager. If you have PowerPoint, sniff around the start menu for Office and you will find MS Picture Manager, it's limited, but VERY effective for getting your cover the right shape, scale, crop etc.

So lets look at item one, a background image. One thing I would definitely not advise is "robbing" a picture from the web. Of course if you're only using your cover in calibre or your own device I suppose that's okay. Anyway, a good photo is an excellent place to start. Alternatively there are some really cool image design programs out there. I personally use Bryce 7 A LOT. Takes a bit of learning to get really creative, but there are lots of people using it and sharing their tips and tricks on YouTube. Bryce PLE is free from DAZ Studios.

Next you want to add some text. Let's stick with Powerpoint for now, but you can use just about anything that will let you draw on your picture. Photoshop is good, but expensive. Paintbox is rough and doesn't scale well later and the options are limited, but it works. So, what I normally do is...

Open a new file in PP and insert my picture. It will generally scale it to fit if it's to big. Don't worry if it's too big or the wrong shape, we'll get to that later. However, it is important that you only add text and graphics to the area that you will be using as your cover. A 3:4 ratio is normal for most ereader formats. (i.e. 600x800 pixels) AND, if you are going to upload your cover for thumbnail conversion, many sites, such as Kobo will crop it further to a more traditional paper book size of 5:7, so leave a little space down the sides when you add your text.

Notes for text. Keep it big and simple. Have a look on Amazon or B&N at published covers. Sometimes you'll get a fancy designed title, but everything else is plain and simple. Avoid fancy fonts like lucinda, comic sans etc There's a reason you don't see them a lot on cover, there @#$%.

Once you have your text laid out you need to scale it, i.e. get the font the right size. Don't be afraid to get big! Once it's on an ereader or a website your not going to be able to read that subtle little by-line, so ditch it or make it BIG. Once your happy with that, align it all. Vertically and horizontally. This is where the keen eye bit comes in. If you center your title in the middle it will generally look cheap and awful, drop it down to about a third from the bottom, or lift it up to nearer the top. Do likewise with your auhtor name, and add any by-line stuff in as appropriate. Use the box around your text as a guide and move it with the arrow keys on your keyboard. It's slow, but you can see it coming into alignment, and indeed passing the optimum point.

Everything looking good? Excellent, now make new slide and copy everything you've done on to it. Now repeat all of the above again. Then repeat as many times as required until you have several variations of your cover. Fonts, sizes, colours, spacing etc. Sounds like a lot of grief, but you'll see the worth when your done.

Okay, now here's the bit that most people muck up...

Pick the final image you are going to use, left click and drag a box over everything on the slide and then select "Group" from the "Arrange" menu. Done? Good! now right click on the cover and select "Save as picture". Tada! you now have a single image cover in, most likely Jpeg format. Png is okay for overlays, but Jpeg is probably best for cover images, as it will convert easily later if you change formats.

So now we want to make your big square picture into a nice hi-res cover the shape of your ereader screen. Ideally you also want to reduce the size a little as well, i.e. 600x800 3:4 ratio. So open your picture manager and locate your cover. MS picture manager has a nice simple set of tools, usually down the right-hand side of the screen. The first tool you want is "crop". Select 3:4 from the options and it will put a big square the correct size over your picture. You can move the square about to make sure everything is centre as you want to see it. Then click the "Ok" button. BANG! You've got a perfect cover shape.

The last thing you may want to do, because it will save you any compatibility issues later, is reduce the overall size. i.e. scale it. This is really easy, just pick the resize tool and select 600x800. Bosh!!! you're done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I said, there are a number of free and paid for programs you can use. What you've got or what you want won't really affect the process of creating a snazzy professional looking cover. How you get it into your book is a whole other post. (Did I say "post"? this has turned out to be more of a feature blog)

Here are two alternatives I did for a guy a few weeks ago as an example of what you can achieve with a bit of patience and creativity.

Images removed

Best of Luck

G:0)

Last edited by Whackatagin; 02-14-2012 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Sorry, sold the pictures and rights.
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
DSpider
Evangelist
DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DSpider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2 2014
Quote:
Png is okay for overlays, but Jpeg is probably best for cover images, as it will convert easily later if you change formats.
Don't convert anything from JPG. It's already compressed and if you compress it even further it will start to look terrible. Here's what I mean (link). All those artefacts will stand out when you convert from a lossy format to another lossy format.

Go with PNG if the image is pretty much flat with a low colour count and no gradients. And always keep the original .psd file (Photoshop) or .xcf (Gimp) as they contain the layers, text effects, etc. Who knows, maybe you'll wanna change something in the second edition or use the same effects for a second novel.
DSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #8
Whackatagin
Tweaker
Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Whackatagin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle / KOBO / PC
Yup,

All valid points DSpider. The reason I prefer jpeg is that once you have a correctly sized file for a mobi it will generally take it at face value. If the image is not exactly the correct perspective or oversized then, yes I agree, you will suffer some degridation in quality directly proportional to the scale of the change. However, pngs are great for websites and will work well for ebook covers, but the problem the novice has is that they don't take into account that pngs quite often have transparency, which will often lead to black areas during format conversion. Or, while the file reports as being "exactly" the right size, it may have a very small border which will appear as white space.

It's all mute, your absolutely correct in your comment, the jpeg route is just a little more novice friendly I think. I use both, horses for courses

G:0)
Whackatagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
covers