Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #46
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Personally, if Sony stopped their support of the Reader tomorrow, it wouldn't bother me one whit, since I so far haven't purchased any content from them. Fictionwise has been my source for E-Books for years, and I expect they will continue to produce Sony format books for multiformat books even after Sony drops it. I also tend to pick up a lot of free books from various sources.

It is going to be interesting to see what happens when Adobe gets into the market and what kind of support they get. If they do things right, they could very well create a standard themselves, and maybe make some of these formats obsolete. It could be a boon for Sony owners, especially since they seem to be working with Adobe.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #47
sumpleby
sumpleby began at the beginning.

Device: waiting for my Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Have you emailed amazon before they actually announced and started to sell Kindle with the same type of questions?
I bet you didn't because if you did you would have gotten exactly the same response as you got from Sony.
The great thing was that I didn't HAVE to. Because Amazon made sure that all the info you needed was out there. You didn't have to email them or go digging around for info because they made sure that their info was out there. And in mainstream areas, not just techie places that the average person might not know about or visit.

But I can say that every time I have ever emailed Amazon about anything, they have answered me, so I'd say that if I'd needed to email about the Kindle, I'd have gotten some kind of an answer even if only a "don't know at the moment"--not dead silence.
sumpleby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
It is going to be interesting to see what happens when Adobe gets into the market and what kind of support they get. If they do things right, they could very well create a standard themselves, and maybe make some of these formats obsolete. It could be a boon for Sony owners, especially since they seem to be working with Adobe.

Jason
Adobe are already heavily into the eBook market. I wouldn't called PDF a "boon" for anyone. It's pretty much the worst possible eBook format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:18 PM   #49
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpleby View Post
The great thing was that I didn't HAVE to. Because Amazon made sure that all the info you needed was out there. You didn't have to email them or go digging around for info because they made sure that their info was out there.
No. It was not out there. It appeared only when they actually started to sell the gadget. The same is applicable to Sony. From the moment they announced the reader and started to sell it all the info was out there.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:22 PM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Don't tell me I am going to have my Sony Mini Disc experience all over again...

I guess that is why I try to avoid DRM'd content from Sony, for books or music.
Why is it most of you seem to FORGET that Amazon has caused a BAD EXPERIENCE with eBooks in the past. They screwed over untold number of people when they dropped eBooks from their sales and no longer allowed redownloading of purchased content. Sony has no bad reputation for eBooks. But Amazon SURE DOES!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #51
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it most of you seem to FORGET that Amazon has caused a BAD EXPERIENCE with eBooks in the past. They screwed over untold number of people when they dropped eBooks from their sales and no longer allowed redownloading of purchased content. Sony has no bad reputation for eBooks. But Amazon SURE DOES!
Valid point. Even given that, I do trust Amazon more than Sony and have had better dealings with them through the years.

The real lesson for me is only to buy DRM'd books in formats that allow its removal.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 05:57 PM   #52
tsgreer
Lovin' the e-book life...
tsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with otherstsgreer plays well with others

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Sony PRS-505, Amazon Kindle, BeBook (with OpenInkpot)
Quote:
Just to be Devil's Advocate for a sec. Yes, Amazon had a bad experience with ebooks in the past. So maybe they have re-entered the market because they are sure it will work this time. I'm thinking Amazon remembers their bad experience much more clearly than we do, since they probably lost money on the deal.

Seems like they they might have figured out a way to do it right this time.

Last edited by tsgreer; 03-12-2008 at 07:01 PM.
tsgreer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #53
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I haven't forgotten which is why I didn't buy anything with the idea I'd keep it permanently. Of course if I can remove the DRM then I'm happier to spend even more money on books because then it's up to me how long I keep them.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #54
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I actually got screwed myself.... that being said, this is a pretty different situation and I've DEFINITELY been screwed by Sony many times so... eh.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 AM   #55
TheLongshot
Groupie
TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.TheLongshot knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Adobe are already heavily into the eBook market. I wouldn't called PDF a "boon" for anyone. It's pretty much the worst possible eBook format.
If you call shoehorning a document publishing format into the eBook realm being "heavily into" the market. Fact is, PDF has always been a poor fit for eBooks, and everyone knows it.

When they make a real effort there, it could be big.

Jason
TheLongshot is offline   Reply With Quote