Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM   #1
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Saving passwords in Safari?

So, I treated myself to a new iPad Air the other day, and yesterday I locked myself out of it. But, we won't go there: too embarrassing.

But using Safari, I've been unable to find out how to get it to retain User Names and Passwords when you bookmark a site--Mobileread, for example.

I went up the chain of command of Apple Support yesterday. All friendly people, but so far nobody has been able to tell me how to do it, including the supervisor. One person suggested that since this wasn't a computer, that it didn't support that function.

So, I figured if Harry T can ask about Siri, maybe it's not too out of the way to ask about this problem. I'd appreciate any ideas on the subject.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:36 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Settings --> Safari --> Names and Passwords (set this option to ON.)

To check for which websites you have saved passwords, select Settings --> Safari --> Saved Passwords.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Settings --> Safari --> Names and Passwords (set this option to ON.)

To check for which websites you have saved passwords, select Settings --> Safari --> Saved Passwords.
Yeah, I've done that, and it doesn't save the User name and password from Mobileread, for example. After you bookmark the site, you have to enter the data every time you log on.

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Yeah, I've done that, and it doesn't save the User name and password from Mobileread, for example. After you bookmark the site, you have to enter the data every time you log on.

Jim
Works for me. I just went and tried it again and verified it does indeed work. I rarely use Safari on iPad to come to MR, so it had been a week or more since my last visit, yet it remembered me and didn't prompt for username or PW.

ETA: I'm using the fullsize website url of www.mobilread.com. I'm not sure what it does if you use the mobile url.

Last edited by jswinden; 01-10-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2014, 01:18 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

I just thought of something. Do you have Settings --> Safari --> Advanced --> Javascript option set to ON? Without Javascript active the username and PW script for the website won't run.
Advert
Old 01-10-2014, 01:51 PM   #6
Strether
Guru

Quote:
I just thought of something. Do you have Settings --> Safari --> Advanced --> Javascript option set to ON? Without Javascript active the username and PW script for the website won't run.
Yes, it's on. When I was talking with Apple support yesterday, they suggested I might need to turn on "Always Allow" in the "Names and Passwords" section. But when you do that, it wants a passcode, which requires that you enter it each time you turn the device on, which produced the embarrassment I mentioned above. Not interested in that at all. So do you have "Always Allow" on?

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Yes, it's on. When I was talking with Apple support yesterday, they suggested I might need to turn on "Always Allow" in the "Names and Passwords" section. But when you do that, it wants a passcode, which requires that you enter it each time you turn the device on, which produced the embarrassment I mentioned above. Not interested in that at all. So do you have "Always Allow" on?

Jim
I have Settings --> Safari --> Names and Passwords --> Always On set to OFF. Like I said, it works fine for me. I'm not sure what else might be interfering with your setup unless it might be your setting at Settings --> Safari --> Block Cookies. I have mine set to the From third parties and advertisers option. The Always option would prevent usernames and PW from being saved, I think.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #8
Strether
Guru

Quote:
I have Settings --> Safari --> Names and Passwords --> Always On set to OFF. Like I said, it works fine for me. I'm not sure what else might be interfering with your setup unless it might be your setting at Settings --> Safari --> Block Cookies. I have mine set to the From third parties and advertisers option. The Always option would prevent usernames and PW from being saved, I think.
Yeah, that's where mine is set, too.

Well, I appreciate your thoughts, Jack. The Apple supervisor is supposed to get back to me today after talking with his engineers, and he may have some thoughts.

It's a little academic, but I was trying to solve the mystery. I figured it was something simple, but maybe not. Somewhere in the process of dealing with the embarrassment mentioned above, which involved downloading a complete new set of data from the cloud (41 minutes!), my iPad version of Chrome synced with my PC version and imported all my bookmarks. Which, by the way, are retaining the necessary information. Something to do with cookies would be my guess, but haven't a clue what.

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Jim, I'm sorry I was of no help. I would like to know what the solution is when you discover it. Good luck!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Strether
Guru

I've just had an email from the supervisor, which reads, in part:

..."i do believe this is a non response issue with the SW of the device not relaying to the keychain actually being active..."

Does that mean anything to you? And do you have keychain settings, whatever they may be, activated?

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
I've just had an email from the supervisor, which reads, in part:

..."i do believe this is a non response issue with the SW of the device not relaying to the keychain actually being active..."

Does that mean anything to you? And do you have keychain settings, whatever they may be, activated?

Jim
I've never even heard the phrase "keychain", so I'll have to check on that. Wow, talk about a cryptic CS response!
Old 01-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
Strether
Guru

Quote:
I've never even heard the phrase "keychain", so I'll have to check on that. Wow, talk about a cryptic CS response!
Yeah. A part of me is concerned that if this device is not working properly, is something related going to come up to bite me later on after my 90-day warranty period is over. Talking with Apple support, they've aggressively pushed the extended warranty, which I'm not interested in, but...

Jim
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Okay, I learn something new every day....I found this keychain support link that might help.

It is a setting on your Mac running Mavericks: System Preferences --> iCloud --> Keychain option. Mine is not checked because I do NOT use the keychain, which I think is a PW memory feature.

I set the username and PW for Safari bookmarked pages directly in Safari, so that would explain why I'm not having the issue, assuming it is an iCloud syncing issue.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #14
jswinden
Nameless Being

I use the Firefox browser on my Mac Mini and my HP laptop, and use the Firefox bookmarks sync to keep them synced. But Firefox refuses to create a iOS version of their browser, so I use Safari on my iOS devices. I imported my Firefox bookmarks into Safari one time, but I don't sync them to Safari as I cannot find a way to do that. If you are syncing Chrome bookmarks to Safari, then I can see where there might be a snafu occurring somewhere, perhaps with the Keychain option if you use it.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #15
Strether
Guru

Mine is checked only because that's what the supervisor had me do. But I had the same problem, before it was checked and after.

I think what I'll probably end up doing is making an appointment at the Apple store where I bought it and have them brainstorm it and if they can't solve it, ask for a new one. Sound reasonable? Not sure how permissive Apple is in these situations.

Jim