Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2007, 04:30 PM   #16
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapax legomenon View Post
Not to be flip, but who cares about Bestseller List anymore (except the companies with dinosaur business models)?

The Top 40/Top 10 Song List still exists, but who cares (except maybe to corporate DJ's)?

I would argue that lists like the NYT are merely a barometer of what books have received the biggest marketing budget. And that is not interesting except to booksellers trying to pick what books to stock. That's not really an issue with ebook sales.
There will always be those very very sad individuals who will read anything so long as it appears in the best seller list so that they can demonstrate what 'great taste' they have and how 'up to date' they are with what is deemed to be 'good'.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 09:41 PM   #17
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
For those who don't care about the best seller list--you've never published a book, have you? There's not much you can do to help your book--you do interviews, publicity, push your book at every opportunity, and when something comes along to give you a little bit of validation, boy, it feels good! If it helps your book sell more copies, then that's just gravy.

If your book doesn't at least sell through your advance, forget publishing another one. Unfortunately, it is important to authors.

(No, I haven't had a best seller on one of the big lists, but have hit the top 10 on some of the "categories" on Amazon.)
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2007, 10:22 PM   #18
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you show what ebook a celeb is reading without a direct shot of the device's front?
Silly rabbit... uh, Wolf. You just ask them.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:55 PM   #19
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
If Oprah likes your book it will sell. If she includes your book in her book club it will sell like hot cakes.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:59 PM   #20
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So, somebody needs to introduce Oprah to e-books. I'd do it, but I don't think she's into science fiction.
Advert
Old 10-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #21
bigumpah
bigumpah began at the beginning.

Device: Axim 5V, Irex Iliad
He, he! Actually, Oprah did endorse Cormac McCarthy's book, the Road, which could pass as sci-fi as part of her book club. The Road's a darned nice book, about a father and his son in post-apocalyptic world.

http://amazon.com/gp/product/0307387...123281-5754406

Vincent

Last edited by bigumpah; 10-19-2007 at 04:53 PM.
bigumpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 08:46 AM   #22
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Well, if anyone wants to give it a shot, Oprah.com's e-mail gateway is here. I'm going to think about an appropriate message, and I might urge someone at MobileRead to do so even more. After all, MobileRead has become somewhat of an authority on e-books in the industry, and should be able to construct a convincing and comprehensive proposal to consider the rich world of e-books (while I'm just one author who will sound like I'm blowing my own horn!).
Old 10-20-2007, 09:52 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sorry, who is this "Oprah" person?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 10:05 AM   #24
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Okay, since you didn't include a , I'll assume you're serious:

In a nutshell, Oprah is the today's most famous and celebrated of American talk show hosts and one of the richest women in the world. On her talk shows, she occasionally surprises her audiences by giving them ALL gifts, everything from cosmetic bags to (I swear to God) cars. Her book club is arguably as popular in the US for book selections and recommendations as the New York Times Bestseller List (that's why we brought her up). She also publishes a magazine... something else that could be a viable e-book product, once large-size e-readers go color.

(BTW, by my first sentence, I wasn't suggesting that everyone in the world should know Oprah! Just messing with you!)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 10-20-2007 at 10:09 AM. Reason: web site addition
Old 10-20-2007, 10:06 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
HarryT lives under a rock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oprah_Winfrey
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #26
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Her book club is arguably as popular in the US for book selections and recommendations as the New York Times Bestseller List (that's why we brought her up).
Yep. Any book she recommends is pretty much guaranteed to end up on the Best Sellers list. She has millions of very devoted fans who will basically buy anything she recommends, whether it's a book, a movie ticket or anything else. Getting a product on her Favorite Things show before Christmas is a major pursuit for droves of marketeers.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 01:59 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I personally don't care for most of what Oprah has to recommend. If it has her seal of approval, I tend to stay away. I am not a lemming.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:16 PM   #28
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
HarryT lives under a rock.
No... he lives on an island. And it's a fair swim away from Oprah's territory. Seriously, I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't live in the U.S. to know U.S. celebrities, any more than I can identify most UK celebs (and when I do haunt UK sites, I often find myself saying, "Whodat? Whodat? Whuzzat?").
Old 10-20-2007, 02:23 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
No... he lives on an island. And it's a fair swim away from Oprah's territory. Seriously, I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't live in the U.S. to know U.S. celebrities, any more than I can identify most UK celebs (and when I do haunt UK sites, I often find myself saying, "Whodat? Whodat? Whuzzat?").
I've asked my wife (who is from Scotland) if she's ever heard of Oprah before moving to the US and she said she has. So take that for what you will.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:05 PM   #30
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer

I've never endorsed nor condemned her recommendations, and more than I endorse or condemn the NYT recommendations. But I recognize them as influential over many people's buying habits.

The fact that Oprah (and other critics and lists) do as well as they do, is simply because people trust their opinions. Sure, there are a lot of people who simply give up their opinions for someone else's, simply because everyone else they know is doing it... but even that is usually because they believe the people they know are fundamentally like them, and so they trust their opinion about another opinions.

Bottom line is, there's nothing wrong with following someone else's opinion or recommendation, as long as you believe they share your values and tastes. If you feel they do not, then you should not be expected to follow their suggestions.