Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Sony covers for $30

They are 30 bucks from Sony right now: Sony store

I like the colors of these covers, but I have the impression they don't really match the dark blue of the Reader.

Yeah, I know, compared to Readers for $99 or $50 this offer is not that exciting. But let the speculation begin! Does this sale mean that Sony plans to release new covers?
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I hope so. The "original" covers are nice, but there were widespread quality problems where it seemed at least 80% of the covers were off-center when the Reader was mounted to them.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2007, 11:14 PM   #3
jeffgrado
jeffgrado began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 770
Are these like the cover that comes with the Reader? Or is there a plastic covering inside?
jeffgrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:48 AM   #4
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think there is a plastic covering inside, but I can't say for sure because I have never seen them out of the box. Maybe an owner can help...
Old 07-13-2007, 12:57 PM   #5
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

The one I bought (the red one) was a very nice leather, it felt and looked better than the stock black cover. It's been a few months but if I remember right it was leather on the inside as well, not like a black/grey stiff peice wrapped in leather only on the outside. I can't check because I returned it due to the aforementioned alignment problem. When returning it the Sony Style rep checked the other three red covers they had in stock and all had various alignment issues.

I would like to have one and the better look and feel is worth the extra money to me, but I would not buy one unless I heard they fixed their quality problems with alignment or I was able to test fit it before purchasing to ensure it lined up properly.
Advert
Old 07-13-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The inside of mine is a fabric of some kind -- microsuedelike stuff.

You might try again on the covers, LG, we haven't heard any complaints on the alignment in a while, so perhaps they've gotten the problem, um ... straightened out.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Hmm, maybe next time I'm up in that area in Cincinnati (the closest SonyStyle store) I'll stop and take a look. My stock black one is starting to get a bit ragged after almost a year of use.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:36 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
You might also try Borders when in Cincinnati...

...if they're sold out at the Sony store.

That's where I bought mine back in Dec. I don't know if the price will match Sony's price; you might check with them to see if they'll match Sony's price - if they haven't already done that.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome View Post
Hmm, maybe next time I'm up in that area in Cincinnati (the closest SonyStyle store) I'll stop and take a look. My stock black one is starting to get a bit ragged after almost a year of use.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Interesting, last time I checked Borders did not carry the covers. I have a couple of local Borders down here that I guess I will check out first.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
Andanzas
Out of print

$25 from Amazon (no free shipping)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not Amazon selling the cover for $25. It's a third party.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #12
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
I bought one of the green ones. It's a nice smooth leather on the outside and suede on the inside. Very well done, imo.

Now, at least, maybe I won't lose my eReader in a pile of notebooks! With the original cover, it looks almost identical to one of the large Moleskines.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #13
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
I just got my brown leather cover in the mail from SonyStyle and I really like it. Nice smooth leather on the outside and kind of a suede finish on the inside like Studio717 mentioned above. I think it looks really sharp, much better than the stock cover imo. The one that I got doesn't have any issues with alignment and the magnets were put in correctly (read that their were issues with this on another thread).

I also got the book light that Sony sells for the reader and I am also very happy with it. It has a long neck so you can position it pretty much however you like it. The light is two LEDs that put off just the right amount of light so that there isn't any glare. The light also comes with two replacement batteries which is a nice bonus.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:09 AM   #14
nerys
Addict
nerys began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 500 - REB 1200
I got the green one when I got the reader and I like it. I SO wish I could get one in orange. I love orange :-)
nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #15
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
Original or new cover?

I had ordered a Sony Reader from sonyrewards.com and in the meantime, purchased a leather Sony cover from Borders prior to its delivery. Now that I have the reader, its original cover seems "pretty nice." The cover from Borders is still in its package and I am wondering if I should use it or not.

The questions -- Should I use the new leather cover? Does it have offer better protection to the Reader than the original cover or does it just look nicer or both? Comments are welcome....

Also---
Per a suggestion from someone in the forum, I did buy the 48cd hardshell wallet from VAULTZ that is sold at Walmart. It is built like a tank and will provide crush resistance for the Sony unit.
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote