Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 12:09 AM   #1
cancelx
Nervous Groupie
cancelx began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Pro
How to Turn a Website into an Ebook?

Hi all.

I found some online books I want (public domain now)

But, they are ONLINE. TOC is a bunch of hyperlinks that lead to the online Text chapters.

Is there a program that will automatically turn it into an ebook, like epub or something?

here is an example of the site i mean:

http://worldinvisible.com/library/ch...ng/content.htm

I'm trying to get
GK Chesterton: The Everlasting Man (in epub)
William Wilberforce: Practical Christianity
Andrew Murray: With Christ in the School of Prayer

thanks all

ps--- I have some in PDF (for on the PC) but read that PDF does not translate to PP well.....

Last edited by cancelx; 04-18-2010 at 12:11 AM.
cancelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:54 AM   #2
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
I looked at the web page and wasn't sure how you'd go about making it into an ebook, but how about search online for the books already in ebook format? Here is The Everlasting Man. I know it's in .lrf format, but I would think you could download it, import it into Calibre, and then convert it to epub.

Here's a link to With Christ in the school of Prayer. That one has an epub download.

I wasn't able to find the William Wilberforce book, but try this link. It might be possible the book you're looking for can be found under a different name.

I hope that helps! Usually whenever I'm looking for a particular book (especially something in public domain) I'll search for it at inkmesh.com. Then I'll narrow it by free books, and sometimes by Sony books, as those will generally be epubs.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 01:08 AM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
cancelx, doesn't the Pocket Pro read rtf?

What I do is cut and paste the website document into an MS Word document, and save it as rtf. I then move the file onto my jetBook Lite, and have no problem reading the book.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 03:05 AM   #4
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Can't you also just bring up the book online and then save the page as html and read that on the PP? I've done that before.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
try this
http://www.instapaper.com/m
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by keng2000 View Post

IF you use FIREFOX, you can get the add on Print to PDF. I use that and then convert it if need be or as mentioned save it as a usual html file....
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
If your reader can read html and follow links, the easiest thing to do is download the site using sitesnag, a utility published by Ziff Davis. If you can't find it, PM me. It doesn't work on a lot of newer web sites but it snags "The Everlasting Man" just fine.

If you want an epub it gets a little trickier. You can copy all of the files into a zip archive. I always copy the contents into a TOC.HTM file first although that's not strictly necessary. Sometimes I end up with two Table of Contents. I also find I have to drag the files in the order I want into the zip. So drag table of contents first, then introduction, then chapter 1, etc. Then I drag the zip into Calibre and convert to epub. You'll have an epub but it may not be in the order you want it to be. With some fiddling you can get it to work.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #8
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Hallo
I happen to have Everlasting Man in epub and just posted it. Here is the link. link
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
weatherwax
Guru
weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherwax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650 (red), Kindle PW2, Galaxy Note 8
Not sure about the Wilberforce, maybe this one?

A Practical View of the Prevailing Religious System of Professed Christians
In Gutenberg.
weatherwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #10
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I copy and paste all the chapters onto notebook and then save it as epub.....
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM   #11
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

another thought...look out

You guys are GREAT !

Thanks.

The links to the books ARE the ones, and the advice on capturing sites etc... will keep me busy experimenting for others.

Greatly appreciated !

PS--- so, what is the hyperlink ability of the Pocket Pro anyway?
Jim McLaren posted some readers can Read HTML and follow Links... can the PP?

Thanks,
JAmes

ps#2-- instead of asking a bunch of annoying questions (sorry)
Is there a site that will explain the Formats the PP does AND what each can do?
I mean, what format(s) will give a hyperlink TOC
What formats have no TOC
What can read HTML with links
etc...?

would I be so lucky that there is such a site (grin)
james

Last edited by cancelx; 04-18-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: see title
Old 04-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #12
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancelx View Post
You guys are GREAT !

Thanks.

The links to the books ARE the ones, and the advice on capturing sites etc... will keep me busy experimenting for others.

Greatly appreciated !

PS--- so, what is the hyperlink ability of the Pocket Pro anyway?
Jim McLaren posted some readers can Read HTML and follow Links... can the PP?

Thanks,
JAmes

ps#2-- instead of asking a bunch of annoying questions (sorry)
Is there a site that will explain the Formats the PP does AND what each can do?
I mean, what format(s) will give a hyperlink TOC
What formats have no TOC
What can read HTML with links
etc...?

would I be so lucky that there is such a site (grin)
james
I'm not sure if any particular format uses hyperlinks as opposed to TOC... I think it all depends on how the book is put together. Most of my books are in epub, and almost all of those use TOC. But I purchased the NIV Bible published by Zondervan, and it uses hyperlinks. It was pretty much impossible to navigate. If I wanted to go to Revelation, I'd have to push the 'next' button to get through all the other books. Then I'd have to do the same thing again to get to the chapter I wanted. And it would usually lock up before I'd get where I wanted to go, so I ended up just deleting it. Even though it's an epub, I'm pretty sure the book wasn't made for e-ink devices. It was made for touch screen, and although they say it can be used on Sony, and other ereaders, it didn't work for me. That probably doesn't help much, though... I don't think you'll know if a book uses hyperlinks or TOC until you download it, but from what I've seen, most books use TOC. And the Pocket Pro seems to do fine with other hyperlinks I've encountered, as long as they're not used excessively.
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura81 View Post
Can't you also just bring up the book online and then save the page as html and read that on the PP? I've done that before.
IMHO HTML is best. Locking down fhe flow by using aconverting to PDF is a poor choice
I just did a short test:
I saved a few pages of Everlasting Man (Ctrl-S Save Pages As (into a new folder that you can create as part of the first save) and left the name as supplied (important).

[ Note: this procedure was text done with only pages. No images were destroyed ]
Once I had captured all the pages I wanted..
I Sigil 2.0 (beta3) which created a NEW document.

Over in the "Sigil "Book Browser" I clicked the Plus next to Text.
(Ignore the default Section shown)

Right click on Text. Select add existing
Select the first saved page (Intro in this case)

Repeat this for each additional source page

Now (Sigil) Save As "The Everlasting Man" (.epub)

For this case, I then cleaned up a tiny bit. I removed the Link at the bottom of intro (and Ch1) to an external "List of Books"

Saved
Opened Saved file with Calibres EBOOK Viewer (where I discovered that the above external (and internal to book) links cause Firefox to load the page selected instead of jumping to the page in the viewer)

Sigil is fun once you figure out some of the bits
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #14
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
IMHO HTML is best. Locking down fhe flow by using aconverting to PDF is a poor choice
I just did a short test:
I saved a few pages of Everlasting Man (Ctrl-S Save Pages As (into a new folder that you can create as part of the first save) and left the name as supplied (important).

... SNIP ...

Repeat this for each additional source page

... SNIP ...

Opened Saved file with Calibres EBOOK Viewer (where I discovered that the above external (and internal to book) links cause Firefox to load the page selected instead of jumping to the page in the viewer)
I would have to agree that HTML is the best for this book.

The beauty of using sitesnag is it automates this for you. It will automatically download every section (all 20 for this book) and will fix them up for local browsing so that when you click a link in the book it opens up the corresponding link in the book, not in your browser. You can still use any text editor to change files if you want after that.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:21 PM   #15
cancelx
Nervous Groupie

hey jim
i cant find this program
i can only find sitesnagger, which seems different than your post.. ?