Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Possible to have same Calibre library active on 2 devices?

As previously mentioned, I got really tired of being unable to investigate a new book to read on my Nook.

So I bought a Lenovo Yoga 10" tablet which I'm hoping won't be too large to use as a reader. My plan is to use Calibre's search functions on the Lenovo to find my next book to read. Probably that could involve a little data massage because data always needs tweaking.

My destop computer is the best place to do major data massages, metadata updates, etc. because the screens are nice and large and I can open up lots of columns.

Both computers are on the same home network, but there's nothing truly multi-user about Windows networking. I've heard of putting the Calibre database on Dropbox but wonder how secure that is. I'll be using the same database sequentially, not at the same time.

Recommendations?
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Multi-user calibre? Not as this time.
Calibre database on dropbox. Not supported and don't cry when it breaks.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TdeV - How about running calibre-server on the desktop, and accessing the library on your lenovo via a browser - has search and rough equivalent of 'tag browser', and you can download books

With appropriate precautions you can access the server over the net - does mean to desktop has to be on all the time.

Assuming it's a windows lenovo you could maintain a copy of library on dropbox via a file synch process, and have the lenovo use calibre to access that library.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
And the content server has a 'Pick a random book', just like Calibre does.

AFAIK you can't use that quite the same. I have a VL 'Not Read': Random will honor that restriction on the Desktop. In the content server, random is from the Library being served ( You can serve just a VL)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 PM   #5
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
This soums promising. Will have to learn more!1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@TdeV - How about running calibre-server on the desktop, and accessing the library on your lenovo via a browser - has search and rough equivalent of 'tag browser', and you can download books

With appropriate precautions you can access the server over the net - does mean to desktop has to be on all the time.

Assuming it's a windows lenovo you could maintain a copy of library on dropbox via a file synch process, and have the lenovo use calibre to access that library.

BR
Dont know enough about Calibre server, will need to find out more. Where?
Dont' understand about your remarks with to "file synch process" - you've more to tell me more about it yes?

More I should know yes?

TIA
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2015, 12:09 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@TdeV - here's a good place to start - pretty sure it hasn't changed much ==>> How To Access Your eBook Collection Anywhere in the World

And here's the relevant command line ==>> calibre-server

If you go to the Preferences ->Sharing over the net and click the Start server button, and then the Test Server button - you should be able to see your library in your desktop browser.

Take note of the url (will be an ip address and a port number - eg 10.1.0.2:8080) and enter that into the lenovo browser - if the desktop and lenovo are on the same 'network' then the calibre server page should show. If it doesn't then you may need to tweak your network.

If you like what you see then someone can help with the next step - accessing the calibre-server over the 'net. The principles of that is covered in the How to Geek write up.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:34 PM   #7
MartyTX
Dedicated
MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartyTX ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 1 & 4, Nook ST, Dell 11-3000, iPhone 5s
This is my totally simplistic method to maintain a reading list. Calibre is needed on only 1 device; a home network and cloud storage are not required:

- I do all of my searching, tweaking, fine-tuning and decision-making using calibre and the nice large screen and mouse on my desktop.

- I pick 20 good reading candidates in calibre and flag them in a "Read" column with a red "X".

- I do all of my reading using Marvin on my iPad Mini. I use calibre with the iOS-Reader/Marvin-XD plugins to make sure the books are on my iPad Mini.

- After reading a book, I flag it in the "Read" column with a green "checkmark". When my list gets down to 5 books, I add new books to get the list back to 20.

Wash ... Rinse ... Repeat. This procedure makes sure I have an ample supply of "good reads" on my iPad.
MartyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:59 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Dont know enough about Calibre server, will need to find out more. Where?
Dont' understand about your remarks with to "file synch process" - you've more to tell me more about it yes?

More I should know yes?

TIA
calibre-server (simple web server with downloadable catalog of your books) is a good option if all you need to do is download books to the device. If you intend to edit metadata, you will of course need to run the calibre GUI...

It is perfectly safe to do so as long as you do not run two copies of calibre at the same time using the same library, and make sure to sync all changes before and after running calibre.
The simplest way is to simply put your books in Dropbox or similar (not Google Drive, it breaks things major time). Dropbox will sync your library, and all changes will propagate to each computer.
Make sure to sync beforehand, so your library is current.
Do not run Dropbox while calibre is running, or they will fight over the files.
Make sure to sync all changes after you close calibre.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dropbox, multi-user