Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
pablo2340
pablo2340 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Prs-300
Conversion fails when book file is large and library is in Dropbox

I have some book files which are quite large (e.g. 7.8 Mb). My Calibre library is held in my Dropbox account. When I try to convert one of these book files to another format (it does not seem to matter what format), the conversion fails, with the error message:

calibre, version 1.26.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>IOError</b>:[Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'c:\\users\\paul\\documents\\my dropbox\\public\\pablo2340\\thomas cahill\\sailing the wine-dark sea (1800)\\sailing the wine-dark sea - thomas cahill.epub'

The details of the failure are:

calibre 1.26 isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.5
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\single.py", line 278, in accept
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\convert\metadata.py", line 236, in commit
File "site-packages\calibre\db\legacy.py", line 465, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 57, in call_func_with_lock
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1157, in set_metadata
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 1144, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\cache.py", line 945, in set_field
File "site-packages\calibre\db\backend.py", line 1357, in windows_check_if_files_in_use
File "site-packages\calibre\utils\filenames.py", line 370, in __init__
IOError: [Errno 13] File is open in another process: u'c:\\users\\paul\\documents\\my dropbox\\public\\pablo2340\\thomas cahill\\sailing the wine-dark sea (1800)\\sailing the wine-dark sea - thomas cahill.epub'

Would it help, I wonder, if I were running the 64-bit version of Calibre (which I THINK I used to have)?
If I close down Dropbox, the conversion goes ahead without a hitch...

Any ideas?

Paul
pablo2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Paul
The cloud (and net attached storage) is not officially recommended (supported).

Now you know why.
It is not reliable under all cases. You found one of those (the hard way).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you are using Dropbox then you should disable Dropbox syncing while using Calibre to help avoid such problems.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:10 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo2340 View Post
Would it help, I wonder, if I were running the 64-bit version of Calibre (which I THINK I used to have)?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo2340 View Post
If I close down Dropbox, the conversion goes ahead without a hitch...

Any ideas?
You already found your solution. Simply pause syncing on Dropbox while you are active with your library then resume sync when you are finished.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
pablo2340
pablo2340 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Prs-300
Yes, stopping DropBox seems to be the solution.
Thanks, all, for your help.
Paul
pablo2340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
conversion, dropbox