Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Jenab6
Jenab6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Transferrng files between Kindle Paperwhite and an SD card

I am looking for a way to transfer ebooks between a Kindle Paperwhite and an SD card, using USB cables and a minimum of other hardware. My library is expected to run to about 4000 books, and I want them all local. The linking hardware must be powered by rechargeable batteries, but it should be less power-hungry than a laptop. (I'll buy a laptop to solve this problem, if necessary, but there ought to be a battery-operated device that will do these transfers with a lower power requirement.) The best solution would be for Amazon to create and sell its own brand of expanded storage media for the Kindle Paperwhite. I'd buy one. I don't want to jailbreak my Kindle, but I will if I have to, in order to get the ability to increase the storage with SD cards.
Jenab6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:39 PM   #2
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenab6 View Post
I am looking for a way to transfer ebooks between a Kindle Paperwhite and an SD card, using USB cables and a minimum of other hardware. My library is expected to run to about 4000 books, and I want them all local. The linking hardware must be powered by rechargeable batteries, but it should be less power-hungry than a laptop. (I'll buy a laptop to solve this problem, if necessary, but there ought to be a battery-operated device that will do these transfers with a lower power requirement.) The best solution would be for Amazon to create and sell its own brand of expanded storage media for the Kindle Paperwhite. I'd buy one. I don't want to jailbreak my Kindle, but I will if I have to, in order to get the ability to increase the storage with SD cards.
The cheapest that comes to mind is a netbook. Around $200-$300.
4000 is alot of books I don't think you get them all on your PW which only has 1.2GB of storage. You do get 5GB of Cloud though you can store books on.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Raspberry Pi?

http://www.raspberrypi.org/

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
VaultBoy
Addict
VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaultBoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle of many shapes, PIPBoy 3000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
The cheapest that comes to mind is a netbook. Around $200-$300.
4000 is alot of books I don't think you get them all on your PW which only has 1.2GB of storage. You do get 5GB of Cloud though you can store books on.
If you're not opposed to used, check ebay or craigslist. Probably find one much cheaper.
VaultBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #5
Jenab6
Jenab6 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Whatever I buy, I has to work on rechargeable batteries alone. The Kindle set up is going into the boonies, where there will be no electric utility power, ever. To run appliances, I use an array of 50W solar panels, a bank of 12V 35Ah sealed lead-acid batteries, a voltage regulator, and either a power inverter (12VDC to 120VAC) or a car cigarette plug charger (12VDC to 4.2VDC) for 18650 Li-ion batteries.

Can the Raspberry Pi run on batteries alone? If so, it might be just the thing.
Jenab6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenab6 View Post
Can the Raspberry Pi run on batteries alone? If so, it might be just the thing.
Definitely. See this for example: http://cgi.cottonpickers.plus.com/~c...pic.php?p=7#p7

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote