Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-03-2012, 06:11 PM   #34441
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Hoping tomorrow won't be as busy as it was on Saturday. With the interview my father gave on the radio on Friday and the interview in the newspaper on Saturday about the phasing out of the incandescent lightbulb it was more than busy. We had over a 100 customers (a number we would be very happy with on a Saturday in December) and almost twice the turnover of a Saturday in December. No matter how good those numbers are for a Saturday in September I don't think my feet can take another day like that so soon.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #34442
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
In new Zealand they raise deer like you raise cow. It was quite yummy.
They do in the US too. (And in Europe.) But in the US you never hear about it. It's quite common to see venison on European menus, especially in Germany, Austria, Bavaria, etc. Wild boar too. In fact, all the deer that is sold in US restaurants MUST be farm-raised. It's illegal to sell 'hunted' deer. There is so much negative emotion generated by the idea of eating Bambi that advertising the facts would seriously affect sales. But deer aren't the only large game farmed. Buffalo too, but more folks hear about that as very few find buffalo loveable...

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:45 PM   #34443
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
They do in the US too. (And in Europe.) But in the US you never hear about it. It's quite common to see venison on European menus, especially in Germany, Austria, Bavaria, etc. Wild boar too. In fact, all the deer that is sold in US restaurants MUST be farm-raised. It's illegal to sell 'hunted' deer. There is so much negative emotion generated by the idea of eating Bambi that advertising the facts would seriously affect sales. But deer aren't the only large game farmed. Buffalo too, but more folks hear about that as very few find buffalo loveable...
I grew up in Pennsylvania, which has a huge deer population. Deer hunting is a major sport there, and the PA Department of Agriculture publishes a magazine called Pennsylvania Game News aimed at the anglers and hunters. (Licenses, taxes, tourists coming in from out of state to do it and the like are major sources of revenue for the state, so no surprise.)

Hunting is absolutely necessary, since we long ago killed off most of the natural predators, and it's the only way to keep the deer population in check. A friend lives in rural PA, and was offering me a side of venison a while back - he knows a local who will butcher to order. I have no place to store or good way to prepare it, so I had to decline.

Buffalo meat (in the form of Buffalo burgers) is fairly common in restaurants. Boar is less so, though a friend mentioned that they are now paying bounties on wild boar in Texas. Once again, the natural predators have largely been eliminated, and farms are ready sources of food for those in the wild. I suspect I could find boar on the menu there if I went to the right places.

Quote:
Stitchawl
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #34444
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post

Good Luck.

Time for me to get back to basic house cleaning and laundry. Ug!
Thanks!

I did house cleaning and laundry today, too - mostly so that I could put off starting to write!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #34445
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Hunting is absolutely necessary, since we long ago killed off most of the natural predators, and it's the only way to keep the deer population in check.
Actually, the biggest problem isn't natural predation. There are only a few animals that will predate on the deer population. It's unfortunate that we have eliminated many of the natural predators, such as the wolf but the typical 'deer' (smaller mammals such as rabbit, vole, fox, etc., comprise 95% of wolf food) that a wolf pack will take will be the sickly ones, and that only improves the health of the herd.

The real problem is FOOD. The growth of civilization and expansion of cities, towns, and farms, have drastically reduced to available food supply for the deer population. Even a small farm will remove the available food for dozens of deer. Imagine what putting in a town did! There just isn't enough food to feed and keep healthy all the deer, and as soon as one gets sick, dozens get sick, and the herd thins out drastically.

For a while in the 1800's, clear-cutting timber impacted the herd's ability to migrate from food lot to food lot during winter. With the spread of cities and towns, roads cut off deer migration trails. Deer won't even attempt to walk through snow that touches its breast, so even if there is a food supply 20 yards away, the deer will starve to death before trying to cross the snow. New laws passed in most states now require 50-100 yard wide forest strips to be left between lumbering sites so the deer can travel under forest canopy and not encounter such deep snow. 'Winter Kill," from starvation, the factor that most affects the deer herd has dropped tremendously since the new laws were put into effect. In the early Spring, Fish&Game biologists go to deer feed lots and look at the femur bones of dead deer, cracking them open to examine the color of the bone marrow. From this color tracking, they can tell if the deer died of malnutrition or from some other cause. I have quite a few photos that I took for VT. Fish&Game of these feedlot examinations.

Quote:
A friend lives in rural PA, and was offering me a side of venison a while back - he knows a local who will butcher to order. I have no place to store or good way to prepare it, so I had to decline.
Almost all rural butchers in heavily hunted areas will butcher and freeze in 'user sized packages' in exchange for the hide. A large number of them run 'freezer lockers' for hunters as well as folks who prefer to purchase hind quarters or sides of beef, pork, lamb, etc. The cost per pound when buying a side of beef is probably close to 1/4 of what you would pay in the stupidmarket, and many people don't have room to store that much in their home freezers. We always bought hindquarters of beef because of the savings, and the rural butchers usually run 'specials' where if you purchase and pay for storage, they throw in a dozen chickens, several slabs of bacon, some sausage, etc. It really is worth it financially to look into this, especially if someone is offering a FREE side of deer. Most deer meat needs to used as stew meat or burger, (more than half the dressed weight,) but you can get 2-3 good roasts, and 4-5 nice steaks from a side!

(Stick a couple of cloves of garlic into slits in the roast, put in a roasting pan surrounded by new potatoes and onions, top with a couple of sprigs of rosemary, then pour a cup or two of red wine over it all and cook! )

Stitchawl

Last edited by Stitchawl; 09-03-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #34446
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
Thanks!

I did house cleaning and laundry today, too - mostly so that I could put off starting to write!
Same here. It is amazing how much better organized the house has become since I have been home. I am working on getting the hubby to do more.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 AM   #34447
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Same here. It is amazing how much better organized the house has become since I have been home. I am working on getting the hubby to do more.
Husbands are NOT supposed to do more. We are supposed to sit in our Lazyboy recliners in front of the fireplace, and drink preferred beverages, smoking our pipes while the dog brings in the newspaper, while the wives, dressed nicely of course in skirt and blouse (including pearls,) lights the candles on the table in preparation for serving his favorite meal that she spent hours cooking...

God, I wish I had a recliner... God, I wish I had ROOM for a recliner... Excuse me, but I have to go peel the potatoes...

Stitchawl
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dreams And Goals.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	91799  
Old 09-04-2012, 06:46 AM   #34448
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am back to working on my thesis. I hope to be finished writing by Christmas. Wish me luck! I'm sort of freaking out thinking about what I will do when it is done.
Very best of luck

Right now it's all work and no play (apart from quick MR forays, naturally).

And I wish Stitchawl would stop talking about food. I think you are obsessing about that which you cannot have .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 AM   #34449
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
And I wish Stitchawl would stop talking about food. I think you are obsessing about that which you cannot have .
Ya think?

I just had Apple Pie a la Mode tattooed on my chest....
It was either that or Crepe Suzette and I figured all those flames would hurt too much.

Stitchawl
Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #34450
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So mentioning that I had three double stacked Chocolate and Vanilla Oreos for a snack would be bad? I am having them with a nice Pu-erh
Old 09-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #34451
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
So mentioning that I had three double stacked Chocolate and Vanilla Oreos for a snack would be bad? I am having them with a nice Pu-erh

MODS.... Am I allow to call people bad names here? No? Oh... OK. More than one way to skin a cat...

ProfCrash, a few days ago I went to the Chinatown district of Kobe and stocked up on supplies. Yesterday I went to the computer district in Osaka and stocked up on supplies (It's common in Japan for similar stores to all be in one area rather than spaced out around different neighborhoods. Makes no sense to me re:competition, but that how they like it.)

Today I'm going to the VOODOO district....

Stitchawl
Old 09-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #34452
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Hey, you talked about going to a store dedicated solely to Oolong and Pu-erh knowing ow jealous I would be. I got Oreos today. We are even.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:20 AM   #34453
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
Hey, you talked about going to a store dedicated solely to Oolong and Pu-erh knowing ow jealous I would be. I got Oreos today. We are even.

Well..... ...... ..... .... ..... yeah.

Stitchawl
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 AM   #34454
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
the stores would like a customer like me who cannot tell one tea from the others, but still love it anyway
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #34455
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Today's root canal treatment was easy and quick compared to the other two I had. The most painful was the anaesthetic injection and the clamp thingy which dug into my gums. The anaesthetic is now wearing off and the only thing that's sore my jaw and the area of injection. Knocking on wood that it stays that way.

I also asked how much it is going to cost me and it was less expensive than I thought it would be so I can get the tv for in my bedroom on Monday as planned.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?