Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 04-22-2003, 03:52 PM   #1
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Oxford Dictionary?

This is something I've been looking for, and it would be interesting to see whether anyone else has found it. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of the Oxford Dictionary of the English Language in eBook format. I have seen it in the book store a few times, but it's in twenty volumes, and costs a hideous amount, so I'm not interested on two fronts. I've also seen it on CD, and it's still got a rather ugly price tag. I keep thinking that someone will eventually put it on a handheld and make the price reasonable.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2003, 09:10 PM   #2
hardeeps
hardeeps began at the beginning.

Mobipocket sells the pocket version of the Oxford dictionary for their reader. You can find it here.
hardeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2003, 02:31 PM   #3
neurodoc
neurodoc began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515/Nokia 8850
Anyone who would like to share? I have other dictionaries, but none as good as the Oxford (Noah Pro, Pocket Lingo, Dictionary To Go, MS Dictionary and others). Anyone interested?
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:46 PM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally posted by neurodoc
Anyone who would like to share? I have other dictionaries, but none as good as the Oxford (Noah Pro, Pocket Lingo, Dictionary To Go, MS Dictionary and others). Anyone interested?
The best Palm dictionary I know is from the Merriam Webster sold by Franklin. You can find it here.
Quote:
Definitions for over 100,000 words
Phonetic spell correction to help you find words even if you don't know how to spell them
Inflection technology that allows you to type in any form of a word and get its root entry, e.g., typing "has" will bring up "have"
Wildcard search capability that lets you find entries using prefixes, suffixes, and other common word elements
Unfortunately, the reader is not the nicest (black&white, slow, low-res) by the look of it. A thesaurus is also available here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
The best and largest (160,000 words) dictionary I know (and own and use) is the Webster's New World College. It can be used with PalmReaderPro only and is available at the Palm Digital webiste. In addition to pronunciation, it gives etymologies, which I consider a terrific mnemonic device. It has one serious drawback, namely that it cannot be used in any other application. This means that every time you need to use it, you must open up PalmReaderPro. radleyp
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2003, 08:24 PM   #6
BasilC
Zealot
BasilC is on a distinguished road

Device: Palm Tungsten T3
The Oxford Dictionary available from MobiPocket is nothing like the full Oxford Dictionary of the English Language. It has fewer words and less detail on each word.

I use the A-Lex dictionary, which seems pretty good lexically and has very good functionality - it can be run as a DA and can find synonyms and cross references very easily. It can be downloaded from http://abstractrd.home.attbi.com
BasilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 04:24 PM   #7
saw9000
Zealot
saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.saw9000 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I currently use Merriam Webster's Collegiate through Palm Reader Pro, both because of the detail, and because of the integration with Palm Reader Pro. It's nice to be reading a book and be able to tap and hold a word to look it up in the dictionary.
Scott
saw9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #8
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
I too use the PRP merriam-webster collegiate dictionary, probably the best $25 i've spent on palm software.
of course, i bought it with the PDM gift certificate my parents bought me for christmas last year but, whatever.
Anyway, it's awesome. it has every word i've ever needed to look up, and it's faster than i'd expected. I'm thinking that PDM sped up the PRP dictionary engine altogether, simply because the mid-sized dictionary i had when PRP came out was a little slower than i liked, but now lookups are speedy enough for me (i'm running a 33mhz clie), so that makes me happy. but, yeah, it's great. highly recommended all around.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2003, 10:51 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally posted by BasilC
The Oxford Dictionary available from MobiPocket is nothing like the full Oxford Dictionary of the English Language. It has fewer words and less detail on each word.
Franklin bought 25% of MobiPocket and it seems that was a good thing, because they have now announced the new Merriam Webster Collegiate 11th Ed for MobiPocket!! See here for more.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:53 PM   #10
verndude
verndude began at the beginning.

Device: Clie t665c
Hi all,
With the Oxford English Dictionary weighing in at 1.7 GB I don’t think we will see it in eBook format anytime soon.
verndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:36 PM   #11
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

1.7GB what? Text file?
Old 09-08-2003, 05:04 PM   #12
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander
See here for more. [/B]
The same page now links to a demo version (you still use mobilpocket reader to access it). The direct demo download is here:

http://66.179.52.179/franklin/data/p...e%2DDemo%2Eprc
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2003, 11:21 AM   #13
Mobipocket
Enthusiast
Mobipocket began at the beginning.

Device: al
In fact it mainly depends on the picture size (pictures cannot be compressed as text).

I assume this 1.7 GB file contains pictures, or it will be compressed efficiently with the new compression algorithm (29.4 MB for the Electronic Pocket Oxford English Dictionary gives a 4 MB eBook).

We already published a 240 MB (XHTML size) eBook. The result was 22 MB (including few icons/pictures).

Therefore, such an eBook could be sold on a card like the Griffith's, the Oxford Handbook of Clinical Medicine, or the Britannica Concise Encyclopedia.

Quote:
Originally posted by verndude
Hi all,
With the Oxford English Dictionary weighing in at 1.7 GB I don’t think we will see it in eBook format anytime soon.
Mobipocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #14
Sigyn
Junior Junior Member
Sigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beautySigyn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: none
I made a very solemn promise to a family friend not to use Websters [long story] but do like Random House. As a still-learnint etemologist, what's good now?
Sigyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps you overlooked the fact when replying, but this thread is almost 10 years old. There would seem little to be gained in dragging it up from the dead.

Last edited by HarryT; 07-13-2012 at 10:03 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote