Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
powers1736
powers1736 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where to buy Sony PRS-300

Hi all,

I tried searching the forum for where I could buy a PRS-300 in a store, not online but had no luck finding an answer. I really don't mind buying online, I would just like to see one before I make the purchase. Unfortunately I live in Upstate New York so there are no Sony stores in the are. I tried best buy, Borders, Barns and Nobles, all to no avail. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
powers1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
Have you checked Target, Wal-Mart, or Sam's club? They were selling the 505 so some already have their shipment of the 300/600. My local Wal-Mart doesn't (in western South Dakota) but I haven't driven the 40 miles to "city" where the other stores are located and my local WM is slow when it comes to electronics.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
The only store that seemed to report having any in yet was Best Buys. I don't know where you are at but I live in Saratoga and the Best Buys here and in Albany don't have them in yet. I ordered online from a company out on NYC and got mine the next day. But Borders should have them in stores by the end of the month. Most likely Target will too.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:41 PM   #4
boca
Connoisseur
boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.boca has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by powers1736 View Post
Hi all,

I tried searching the forum for where I could buy a PRS-300 in a store, not online but had no luck finding an answer. I really don't mind buying online, I would just like to see one before I make the purchase. Unfortunately I live in Upstate New York so there are no Sony stores in the are. I tried best buy, Borders, Barns and Nobles, all to no avail. Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Eric
Best Buy have the silver ones plus cases... Although once you get to the store good luck getting anyone there to actually know where the display is, or even what a Sony Reader is!
boca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #5
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
I am thinking Sony wants to make the initial release theirs before they release it to the other stores....I believe I read somewhere here it may be available at Border on the 18th

Cheers to Sony for releasing Readers at popular Store Chains

Jeer's to Sony for the HUGE lack of advertising to get a larger popularion to know these devices exist.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2009, 04:12 PM   #6
weasty
Enthusiast
weasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmosweasty has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle paper white, kobo mini, nook glo, iPad 3
I live in a major city in south dakota and I may be going out later today to look if I do and I see any in the stores I will post it here.
weasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
powers1736
powers1736 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks guys!
Yeah so I looked everywere suggested that was within a 30ish mile radius. Target had the 505 on display! It looked even better then I thought it would. No 300s anywhere though. And boca, good call about best buy not knowing was a sony reader wasAnyhow, should be ordering the 300 tonight! Cant wait to get it Thanks again to all who replied!
powers1736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:04 AM   #8
zacheryjensen
Addict
zacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-bookszacheryjensen has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I am thinking Sony wants to make the initial release theirs before they release it to the other stores....I believe I read somewhere here it may be available at Border on the 18th
I can back that up. My local Borders store has signs that explicitly say it'll be there on the 18th. I am getting impatient!
zacheryjensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #9
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Quote:
My local Borders store has signs that explicitly say it'll be there on the 18th. I am getting impatient!
Was at Borders last evening...none on display. Asked them when they would have their shipment. Their computer is showing November!!!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
It all depends on location. Until a few days ago, no stores here in the midwest had either new reader in stock except SonyStyle stores, which suck because they charge a 15% restocking fee in you decide to return it. And you only get 14 days to take it back.

Most Best Buys have the 300's, or are getting them in on the next shipment, but it'll be harder to find the 600 (they are backordered on their website and only available online, it says). You can order the 300 online and it'll ship in about 1 day if your local store is out of stock.

I talked to the people at Best Buy and they have a favorable return policy if you are still skeptical. They said it's 30 days and there is no restocking fee.

Like boca stated in an earlier post, the one problem with getting these in retail stores is that the people working there know nothing about them. You can go up to the dude working at Walmart and ask him about a Sony Reader and 9 times out of 10 you're going to get a blank stare and a, "What?"

I've had my 300 for about a week and I really like it. I have a near-sized photo, a review, and a couple of videos of it posted over here:

http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/sony-prs-300.html
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote