Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
New Firmware possibly?

Well my friend says that a new firmware is on its way out very soon.... Not sure where he gets his information But here's hopping he is correct...

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Jack I'm very wary of new firmware because of ADE3.

I certainly won't rush in to download it - I'll wait to see what those who know how to dissect say, and if they determine that it is preparatory to ADE3 then I'll be giving it a miss.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I would be surprised if the next firmware included the ADE3. Unless the new RMSDK was supplied to them months ago, I don't think Kobo will have had time to change to use them and test with them.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
No offense intended, but so far there has been no impediment to rolling back to earlier firmwares or even writing a whole new image to an internal sdhc if you have one, so perhaps you're being a little over sensitive about the coming Armageddon there Chicken-little... ;-)

OTOH, Armageddon out of here before I get clobbered for kidding you about being Chicken little.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
OTOH, Armageddon out of here before I get clobbered for kidding you about being Chicken little.
<groan>
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2014, 11:33 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Apologies, you must pick four leaved clovers where they grow...

Not sure it matters, but is there any possibility the epub reader program will be left alone and only the kepub renderer affected? Does it matter? Will whatever solution is employed still work with books with no DRM?(One assumes, but one also recognizes the sort of trouble that can lead to...) If so, what are we worried about?
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:25 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
It is actually the other way around. ACCESS, the kepub renderer, has no support for the Adobe DRM. It is only used for kepubs, but has support for DRM-free epub2 and epub3 (I have no idea about the DRM for epub3). Any changes the new Adobe code brings in will only affect the RMSDK based renderer. This handles epub2 and PDF.

Personally, I have been expecting Kobo to move epubs to ACCESS. I think the Adobe DRM is what has been stopping them. But, they could use ACCESS for all kepubs and DRM-free epubs without much work.

And before anyone comments: Kobo would have to add support for a different reading position system to ACCESS. But, I suspect all they would really need to to is re-enable it. I am fairly sure the reading position used for kepubs is something that Kobo adds. If they do this, hopefully they will use the epub3 method. It will also work for epub2. And yes, here would be lots of wailing about the header and the page numbering system. There is already some evidence in the firmware that these might be changing.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:36 AM   #8
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
It is actually the other way around. ACCESS, the kepub renderer, has no support for the Adobe DRM. It is only used for kepubs, but has support for DRM-free epub2 and epub3 (I have no idea about the DRM for epub3). Any changes the new Adobe code brings in will only affect the RMSDK based renderer. This handles epub2 and PDF.

Personally, I have been expecting Kobo to move epubs to ACCESS. I think the Adobe DRM is what has been stopping them. But, they could use ACCESS for all kepubs and DRM-free epubs without much work.

And before anyone comments: Kobo would have to add support for a different reading position system to ACCESS. But, I suspect all they would really need to to is re-enable it. I am fairly sure the reading position used for kepubs is something that Kobo adds. If they do this, hopefully they will use the epub3 method. It will also work for epub2. And yes, here would be lots of wailing about the header and the page numbering system. There is already some evidence in the firmware that these might be changing.
Lots of things that they could (or should be able to do/fix) but it is a long slow haul with many pitfalls it seems. Gotta be a bit mortifying for the poor programmer.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:55 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

I certainly won't rush in to download it - I'll wait to see what those who know how to dissect say, and if they determine that it is preparatory to ADE3 then I'll be giving it a miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I would be surprised if the next firmware included the ADE3. Unless the new RMSDK was supplied to them months ago, I don't think Kobo will have had time to change to use them and test with them.
I think I read in the ADE3 thread that the (Linux) RMDSK 10 would be released to developers in March.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:39 AM   #10
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Yep - thanks everyone ... I'm sitting tight (Technisol you'll just have to imagine that , but the look says it all )
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #11
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post

Cannot fault you on that. But I would settle for some fixes, such as memory cards etc being recognized all the time.

regards

Jack
Old 02-07-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I do hope they fix two annoying bugs: the old one where you have to tap twice top center then in the page to access a book blocked loading (at least every second time), and the more recent one which means my hd can't access the wifi, while the 6" aura has no problem.

BTW, I've started again a limited use of the Sony PRS-T2 today (I needed a good external German dictionary for a book recently bought - because no epub available), and loaded it with the 35 PDFs and the 3 poor epubs not readable on kobos. My choice will be kobos for everything else, but it was so pleasant to read one handed with the buttons and to delete books instantly. Since it has a so-called A screen, which means the better white one (compared to the yellowish capacitive layer on the 6" aura), it is very pleasant to read with good daylight.

Last edited by anacreon; 02-07-2014 at 04:53 PM.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 PM   #13
jackastor
Wizard

firmware 3.2.0

Looks like once again my friend was correct, new firmware released.

regards

Jack