Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 09:35 AM   #1
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Moving Forward in E-Readers

This NY Times article gives high marks to the "All-New Nook" and the "Kobo Touch Edition." (Yes, B&N really called it the All-New Nook.)
A few quotes:

"...e-book readers just took their first slimy steps out of the primordial soup."

..."nearly identical readers that are clearly intended to embarrass the industry leader, the Amazon Kindle."

Worth a read.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/09/te...l?pagewanted=1

L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:41 AM   #2
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I might like the touchscreen for many of the functions, but Kobo went too far in eliminating the page turn buttons IMO.

It's funny, but after hearing so many people complain about the lack of "feel" in ebook readers compared with print books, I now find myself complaining about the lack of feel in the new Kobo vs. the old!

I'm glad that the Nook hasn't completely abandoned page turn buttons...yet.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
jridley
Enthusiast
jridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with othersjridley plays well with others

Device: Nook Touch
I agree, the page turn buttons on the Nook STR are wonderful and I wouldn't give them up. It's the only way to read one-handed. I do turn pages by tapping sometimes, it depends on how I'm holding it. The Nook gives so many ways to hold that all feel comfortable that it allows me to read for much longer at a stretch.

RE lack of "feel" versus paper: yes, I really miss paper; cramped hands, having to use two hands to read, having the covers curl up when they get exposed to more than 35% humidity, uncomfortable to hold, limited lifespan, disintegrating bindings. Ah, the good old days.
jridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #4
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you get to the end of the article?...

Quote:
All of this is clear evidence that the clunky primitiveness of the Paleozoic e-book era is finally drawing to a close. At this rate, before you know it, e-book readers will arrive solidly in the Jurassic period.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
many comparisons to old geological eras make it clear that they consider books in general a thing of the past.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2011, 12:21 AM   #6
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Article
..."nearly identical readers that are clearly intended to embarrass the industry leader, the Amazon Kindle."
I'm not sure how to understand that statement. How are they "intended" to embarrass the Kindle/Amazon? I mean, I wouldn't know how to embarrass someone/something that's the top dog.

What are they intending to do? Catch an Amazon Kindle in bed having a naughty-time romp with Sony reader while an iPad watches? THAT'D be embarrassing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'm not sure how to understand that statement. How are they "intended" to embarrass the Kindle/Amazon? I mean, I wouldn't know how to embarrass someone/something that's the top dog.

What are they intending to do? Catch an Amazon Kindle in bed having a naughty-time romp with Sony reader while an iPad watches? THAT'D be embarrassing.
Maybe it's the other kind of embarrassment. You know, the empathetic kind you get watching other people humiliate themselves.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 01:06 AM   #8
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post

thanks for the interesting imagery
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:02 AM   #9
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
In case you want to read the discussion of this article from a few days ago

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=138221
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #10
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namekuseijin View Post
many comparisons to old geological eras make it clear that they consider books in general a thing of the past.
If the names of the geological eras are to be used to describe books, would this not be more appropriate (please feel free to add/correct as needed, I got the era names from Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologi...od#Terminology" class="wikilink" title="MR Wiki entry">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geologi...od#Terminology), working backwards from the Jurassic era):

- Silurian: Written Numbers

- Devonian: Written Communication Before Books

- Carboniferous: Hand-Written Books

- Permian: Printed Books

- Triassic: On-Line Documents

- Jurassic: Electronic Books
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #11
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J. Sellers View Post
This NY Times article gives high marks to the "All-New Nook" and the "Kobo Touch Edition." (Yes, B&N really called it the All-New Nook.)
Nope, Pogue got it wrong. He misread the ad copy. Makes his riff on the name kinda embarrassing.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I might like the touchscreen for many of the functions, but Kobo went too far in eliminating the page turn buttons IMO.
I might have agreed with you since I really like the side buttons on the Kindle 3. But, after three days of reading on the Kobo Touch, using a little thumb tap on the right side holding it with my right hand, it works really well and is essentially the identical "action" as the Kindle 3.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-readers, kindle, kobo, nook