Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
monafam
monafam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
*.HTM Conversion Issues

I have a program with a lot of documents on it, which I wanted to convert to my Kindle. This program will do a "PDA" version to read, but it saves it as an *.HTM file. I have a few different converter programs which seem to convert this (I've also tried saving as a TXT file), but I keep running into problems.

This is my problem -- on some pages, the bottom of the writing cuts off and does not continue on the next Kindle page, so I am not certain how much of the actual text I'm losing.

I've looked this up, but I'm not sure if my searching has been too generic as I've not come up with a good answer.

Does anyone have this problem? Is there a fix for it?

Thanks in advance for any assistance! I'd like to really make the most of this database of documents I have along with my Kindle.
monafam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:31 PM   #2
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
This is just a guess, but I suspect this might be caused by the text being contained in a single cell in a table. The Kindle isn't very sophisticated in how it handles tables, and if a table cell contains more text than will fit on the screen, it doesn't carry it over onto the next page as far as I know.

If the table is being used simply to control the layout, I'd recommend removing the table formatting, and replace it with simple paragraphs.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 12:06 PM   #3
monafam

How do I go about removing the table formatting, etc.? Thanks!
Old 02-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #4
monafam

Bumping to see if anyone can help. This is a fast moving board!
Old 02-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #5
lmittell
Enthusiast
lmittell began at the beginning.

Device: K2, K3, Jetbook Lite, iPhone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by monafam View Post
Bumping to see if anyone can help. This is a fast moving board!
You can edit the HTML file directly, but that requires a smattering of knowledge of HTML code. It's not a big deal to obtain that knowledge, there being a number of websites containing good free tutorials on the subject, such as W3 Schools.

If this gives you the heebie-jeebies, you can use a WYSIWYG HTML editor. Kompozer is a very good one, is free, and has a very small footprint. It's available at this link.

Microsoft Word and Open Office also have WYSIWYG edit modes for HTML files. I've heard that Word generates a lot of superfluous code, but I've never put it to the test. I've heard almost nothing in this regard about Open Office. The latter is free at this link.

No doubt other listers will chime in here to share opinions about their favorite editors.

Good luck,
Larry

Edit: Always back up your original file before an edit. There are few things more frustrating than unintentionally fouling up a file and not being able to get back to where you were.

Last edited by lmittell; 02-01-2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Additional info
lmittell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2011, 03:29 PM   #6
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
If it isn't a table thing: You might open the html and select all, then copy and paste into notepad, if it looks okay save as .txt file.
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
lmittell
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
If it isn't a table thing: You might open the html and select all, then copy and paste into notepad, if it looks okay save as .txt file.
Good suggestion. Open the file in your browser to exercise this option.

Larry
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #8
Mark Rehorst
was engr, now dentist
Mark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic somethingMark Rehorst has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle DXG
An alternative method is to leave the files in .html format and use Mobipocket Creator to convert them to a Kindle file. Output will be a .prc file which the Kindle loves. You can even set up an active TOC that way.
Mark Rehorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #9
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
what I would do.....

I'd download the free software: Calibre. Save you document as an .htm file. Open the file in Caliber and then convert it to a .mobi file. Two bits says it'll work fine on your Kindle. It certainly works fine with Word docs with embedded jpeg images.

I can't use Mobipocket since it will not run on a Mac.

L
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:34 AM   #10
lmittell
Enthusiast

The table formatting should be removed prior to Calibre conversion, assuming the former is what's causing the OP's problem.

Kindle/MOBI format doesn't play nice with HTML tables in any case.

Larry
Old 02-02-2011, 06:29 PM   #11
monafam

Thanks for all of the responses. I copied the text in question and looked at it in another program and it was indeed in a table format. I converted the table to text and it worked fined on my Kindle. I think I'll check some of the other suggestions, but for now, I'm glad it works.

Thanks for all of your assistance!