Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Change "I'm reading books" status with Calibre

Hello All!

I've got an Original Kobo (Non WiFi) that I just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.8.3 on a MAC OS system

All my (200) books are DeDRM books either originally ePub or PRC (I had a Cybook before). But they are all legitimate. I bought them on Fictionwise, Kobo, Amazon...

I have just put them back on my Kobo with Calibre (7.40), but now they are all in "I'm reading" section.

Is there a way with Calibre to change their status so they are in "Books" only and either "finished" or "Unread". I would like to have only the books I am currently reading 2-3 in the "I'm reading section.

Thanks

Georges
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
rischa
rischa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I find that when I put new books onto my Kobo, they appear in the I'm Reading section straight away, but if I then plug the Kobo back in to the PC, and eject it again, then they will disappear back into the library.

Not sure if this is the situation with yours, but maybe worth a try?
rischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
Hello All!

I've got an Original Kobo (Non WiFi) that I just upgraded from 1.4 to 1.8.3 on a MAC OS system

All my (200) books are DeDRM books either originally ePub or PRC (I had a Cybook before). But they are all legitimate. I bought them on Fictionwise, Kobo, Amazon...

I have just put them back on my Kobo with Calibre (7.40), but now they are all in "I'm reading" section.

Is there a way with Calibre to change their status so they are in "Books" only and either "finished" or "Unread". I would like to have only the books I am currently reading 2-3 in the "I'm reading section.

Thanks

Georges
Once your Device is detected by Calibre, you should have a couple new buttons above, specifically Device and Card a if you have an SD card inserted. select the one which has your books stored and you'll have a list of all the books on that device.

From here, you can edit the "Collections" column. If it's a book that's been read, change it to Read. If it's unread, leave it blank, and if your reading it, put in Im_Reading. Once done, it should be good, however, you may need to power cycle your kobo for it to take effect.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rischa View Post
I find that when I put new books onto my Kobo, they appear in the I'm Reading section straight away, but if I then plug the Kobo back in to the PC, and eject it again, then they will disappear back into the library.

Not sure if this is the situation with yours, but maybe worth a try?
Tried it, it worked for only 50% of my books, in fact the last batch I loaded. It was worth the try. Thanks a lot!

But all those books are still marked "New - unread" I would like to be able to change that with Calibre.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
captaingeorges
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
Once your Device is detected by Calibre, you should have a couple new buttons above, specifically Device and Card a if you have an SD card inserted. select the one which has your books stored and you'll have a list of all the books on that device.

From here, you can edit the "Collections" column. If it's a book that's been read, change it to Read. If it's unread, leave it blank, and if your reading it, put in Im_Reading. Once done, it should be good, however, you may need to power cycle your kobo for it to take effect.

I am making progress!!!

I have 94 books in "I am reading" section. however in Calibre, only about 6 are actually marked as "I am reading" the rest are either blank or marked read. I changed a few that were Blank and the result is strange. If the book was in I am reading, it stays there, but is now marked as finished... So I can now mark my books correctly with the collection column, but I cannot seem to be able to remove them from "I am reading" section

Any thoughts ???
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaingeorges View Post
I am making progress!!!

I have 94 books in "I am reading" section. however in Calibre, only about 6 are actually marked as "I am reading" the rest are either blank or marked read. I changed a few that were Blank and the result is strange. If the book was in I am reading, it stays there, but is now marked as finished... So I can now mark my books correctly with the collection column, but I cannot seem to be able to remove them from "I am reading" section

Any thoughts ???

sometimes I've had problems with setting multiple books at the same time, particularly if the book was part of the 100 free books. Usually I just get out of the device I'm trying to edit, and then go back and try the books that didn't change properly again. Eventually they do change over.

When I had wrote out my explanation, I took the opportunety to clean up some books I had started because I was showing it off to some relatives. I currently have only one book in the I'm reading pane, and I did have problems with The Arabian Nights Entertainments from the free books like you had described.

hope this helps.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
captaingeorges
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyke View Post
sometimes I've had problems with setting multiple books at the same time, particularly if the book was part of the 100 free books. Usually I just get out of the device I'm trying to edit, and then go back and try the books that didn't change properly again. Eventually they do change over.

When I had wrote out my explanation, I took the opportunety to clean up some books I had started because I was showing it off to some relatives. I currently have only one book in the I'm reading pane, and I did have problems with The Arabian Nights Entertainments from the free books like you had described.

hope this helps.
I will try again and we will see what happen! Also, since I changed the firmware to 1.8.3, no sign of the free books! I have read a few times in some posts, that people were trying without success to get rid of them, but in my case, it is not a problem!

The main thing is that I can read my books! No more synching for me. Buy a book, DeDRM it, Make a backup copy, send it to Calibre, then put it on my Kobo

Ready for 2 weeks on the beach in February!!!

Thanks a lot for your help

Georges
Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #8
razmichael
razmichael doesn't litterrazmichael doesn't litter

Device: Kobo WiFi
Hi captaingeorge,

I was about to send you some sql statements that you could run to move books from 'I'm reading' to finished or unread but then realized that you have the original Kobo so the Database structure is different - not much help. I did want to say that I visited 'your' Isle-aux-Grues many years ago and it was a fantastic place - I assume it still is (and allows lots of peaceful time to read??).
razmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #9
captaingeorges
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by razmichael View Post
Hi captaingeorge,

I was about to send you some sql statements that you could run to move books from 'I'm reading' to finished or unread but then realized that you have the original Kobo so the Database structure is different - not much help. I did want to say that I visited 'your' Isle-aux-Grues many years ago and it was a fantastic place - I assume it still is (and allows lots of peaceful time to read??).
Still the same! Very quiet especially in the winter. The Ferry is not running and commuting to the main land is done by plane... Not too many visitors... It is a great place to read by the woodstove...

As for my little problems, I will eventually figure it out!!! With the help of many good souls on this forum. I just realize that I had a Cybook from the first batch a few years ago and now I have a Kobo from the first batch...

Live and learn!

Regards,

Georges
Old 01-18-2011, 08:42 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Hi captaingeorge,

Raz

I think on the 1.8.3 version of the original firmware that the SQL tables would be identical to the WiFi version....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
razmichael

I cannot validate the original Kobo database structure not owning one, but I'll pass some sql statements that work for me with my wifi version. I built a samll microsoft access database that show the various books and those that are set for I'm Reading. You can then select all or select ones and these will be removed from I'm Reading section. I did find some books that did not show up in Calibre for some reason so this technique came in handy but it does require some work to install SQLite drivers first and you need Access 2007 or 2010. On the other hand, if you just want to directly write/update the database directly then Firefox has a good add-in available (search in Firefox for SQLite Manager add in). From this you can view and run sql queries directly to the Kobo database. Suggest making a backup first and/or testing on a backup.

To view the books that are marked I'm Reading:

SELECT ContentID, Title FROM Content WHERE BookID is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

Case 1 'This marks I'm Reading books as complete

UPDATE [content] SET [ReadStatus]=2, [FirstTimeReading]=0, [___PercentRead]=100 WHERE [BookID] is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

Case 2 'This marks I'm Reading books as unread

UPDATE [content] SET [ReadStatus]=0, [FirstTimeReading]=-1, [___PercentRead]=0 WHERE [BookID] is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

If you feel adventurous the Microsoft DB is available at

[URL="https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B21PNyGPngBOYWUyYTc1NjQtNDExMi00ZTY5LTllM zQtODVkOWJiZWE5NThj&hl=en[/URL]

Be careful with it as I have not done extensive testing although I use it often and have not had a problem (keep a db backup!!!).
Old 01-19-2011, 07:23 AM   #12
captaingeorges
Zealot

Quote:
I cannot validate the original Kobo database structure not owning one, but I'll pass some sql statements that work for me with my wifi version. I built a samll microsoft access database that show the various books and those that are set for I'm Reading. You can then select all or select ones and these will be removed from I'm Reading section. I did find some books that did not show up in Calibre for some reason so this technique came in handy but it does require some work to install SQLite drivers first and you need Access 2007 or 2010. On the other hand, if you just want to directly write/update the database directly then Firefox has a good add-in available (search in Firefox for SQLite Manager add in). From this you can view and run sql queries directly to the Kobo database. Suggest making a backup first and/or testing on a backup.

To view the books that are marked I'm Reading:

SELECT ContentID, Title FROM Content WHERE BookID is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

Case 1 'This marks I'm Reading books as complete

UPDATE [content] SET [ReadStatus]=2, [FirstTimeReading]=0, [___PercentRead]=100 WHERE [BookID] is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

Case 2 'This marks I'm Reading books as unread

UPDATE [content] SET [ReadStatus]=0, [FirstTimeReading]=-1, [___PercentRead]=0 WHERE [BookID] is NULL AND ReadStatus=1;

If you feel adventurous the Microsoft DB is available at

[URL="https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B21PNyGPngBOYWUyYTc1NjQtNDExMi00ZTY5LTllM zQtODVkOWJiZWE5NThj&hl=en[/URL]

Be careful with it as I have not done extensive testing although I use it often and have not had a problem (keep a db backup!!!).
Do you think that firefox for Mac also has those plugins ??? I could install firefox on my mac.

I am one of those "uncle Steve followers". Vista made me change religion a few years ago...

Regards,

Georges
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
razmichael

Here is the link to get the sqlite manager add-on https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...qlite-manager/. Firefox uses SQLite internally for bookmarks etc so I would think it does the same on a MAC. Easy enough to find out.

I should add that there are other sqlite managers out there although my quick tests found the Firefox tool to best the better given the price - free. I don't use firefox anymore for general browsing but keep it around for specific things such as this.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
captaingeorges
Zealot

Hi All!

Success at last!

I was a little bit shy about going to play in the database with Sqlite plugins, So I tried one last thing. I deleted all my books completely, then eject and unplug my Kobo. Then I put them all back with Calibre, then eject and unplug. All were in "I'm reading" section. Plug my Kobo again, chose "manage library", then eject and unplug.

Miracle! they are all in Books. Nothing in "I'm reading". Great.

Now working with collections in Calibre to put the proper tags "Read" and I'm reading"

All is well that ends well!!!

Thank you everybody with your suggestions. I learned from all of you!

Regards,

Georges
Old 01-19-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
razmichael

Glad it worked out. In general books added to Kobo will show up in the I'm Reading section automatically when first installed and then are removed after the next sync or manage - just as you discovered. Somewhere in the user guide it explains this. It is to let you see all newly added books rather than have them 'buried' with all the rest when first installed.

The database is not really that complicated and, since it is just a file, you can copy it and "play" with the copy to see how it is structured. You can also replace it with a backup very easily if you mess up. As I mentioned, I had a book that did not show up in Calibre (never did figure out why) but was in the database and showed in my app - this was how I removed it from I'm reading. Having said that, if your not comfortable with playing witht he database then best to just leave it alone!

Enjoy your winter island reading by the wood stove!