Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
Neo
Neo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3 Registration from Canada

hi all,

i am in Canada and planning on buying a kindle 3 WiFi version. Now my questions is: once I get K3 in Canada, is it possible to register it using a US address?

I was told if I register it as a Canadian address, then every book i buy, there will be like $2 extra charge. So anyone know how to register K3 to avoid the extra $2? (Or is this something only applies to the 3G version?)

obviously i am a newbie here, sorry if there's already some posts about this (There's some thread about K2 registration but i couldn't find anything on K3 Wifi.) thanks in advance.
Neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:42 PM   #2
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Welcome to the forum.

Post up in the introduction section and consider updating your profile to reflect your location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
hi all,

i am in Canada and planning on buying a kindle 3 WiFi version. Now my questions is: once I get K3 in Canada, is it possible to register it using a US address?

I was told if I register it as a Canadian address, then every book i buy, there will be like $2 extra charge. So anyone know how to register K3 to avoid the extra $2? (Or is this something only applies to the 3G version?)

obviously i am a newbie here, sorry if there's already some posts about this (There's some thread about K2 registration but i couldn't find anything on K3 Wifi.) thanks in advance.
Additional fees don't seem to be linked with devices but rather account settings.

If you enter a new address, in a different country, setting that as your new home address, the cost of books will update based on that.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 01:55 PM   #3
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
This one seems to keep coming up lately.

Canadians do not pay a $2 surcharge.
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Not quite what you are asking, but from a private message I sent to another user the other day regarding buying from the US store when living in Canada:

Hi,

Like I said in my first post, you just need to register a US address to your amazon account.

Do not create a second account. Just add a US address to your existing account (Your Account --> Manage Addresses and 1-Click Settings). It can be any US address - just make sure it is valid.

Then, to shop from the US store, you need to set your default country to the US and associate to your US address. This is done from the Your Account -> Manage Your Kindle screen.

Under the Your Country heading, click edit and select your US address.

You will then be able to shop from the US kindle store. If you have it set up, make sure your 1-click default address is still your canadian address with canadian cc number.

The trick is - make sure you do not buy directly from your kindle. Or amazon will start sending you emails wondering why you are purchasing books from a country different than the one associated with your kindle account.

Instead buy the book on your computer and select the 'Transfer via Computer' option and load it onto your kindle from your computer.

Keep in mind, that if the book is in both the canadian and us stores, it is often cheaper in the canadian store. so don't assume it is always better to buy from the US store.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada