Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think the Internet should remain free?
Yes, I believe the Internet should and will remain free! 4 80.00%
No, even though I don't like to admit it, the Internet content will cost us soon 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-2003, 11:19 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Do you think the Internet should remain free?

You probably all heard about the music industry campaign against online piracy.

In the NYT article Fighting the Idea That All the Internet Is Free, Thomas R. Eisenmann, an assistant professor at Harvard Business School claims "It was never really free...The hope was that advertising would pay for everything. That's not necessarily a flawed model. It has just been a lot harder than most people thought".

What do you think? Will we soon move to a "Premium" Internet, where free content would become a rare commoditiy?
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:48 PM   #2
St0rmD
St0rmD began at the beginning.

Device: Palm Tungsten T2
There has been "premium" content on the internet that you had to pay for ever since the internet was first opened to commercial use. There has also always been free content on the internet.

There will always be people who are willing to give away some content for free, and there will always be some things you have to pay for.

All this NYT article has accomplished is to sensationalize the issue, make it look like a "new thing" and suggest (falsely) that it's an all-or-nothing situation.

To which I say, pfft.
St0rmD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2003, 12:44 AM   #3
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Also, lest we forget, the internet is still a luxury that most of the world cannot afford. The cost to participate (computer, ISP,...) is beyond most peoples reach, much less their daily struggle.

Perspective and gratitude.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 10:31 AM   #4
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
Born and raised in the U.S. I am a person of very modest means by American standards. and MOST of my relatives can't afford the access to the internet that I have.
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote