Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Febrary 2010 Book Club Poll
Gone with the Wind by Margaret Mitchell 26 25.00%
The Accidental Tourist by Anne Tyler 8 7.69%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 11 10.58%
Shadow Game by Christine Feehan 9 8.65%
It Happened In Egypt by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933) 4 3.85%
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris 17 16.35%
His Robot Girlfriend by Wesley Allison (HistoryWes) 12 11.54%
The House of the Seven Gables by Nathaniel Hawthorne 7 6.73%
Lord of Scoundrels by Loretta Chase 6 5.77%
Romancing Mr. Bridgerton by Julia Quinn 4 3.85%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2010, 11:09 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I probably will But there's an awful lot on this list that I want to read!
I did! It's a classic that I have not read.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
was spot on, as the British like to say.
Spot on! We do like to say 'spot on'.

What happens if we end up with a tie??
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #18
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

It hasn't happened yet. (even though this question has been asked every month)

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:54 AM   #19
CarolineNH
Expert napper
CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.CarolineNH will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, Kindle Fire 10
Ooh, there are several! I'm a huge GWTW fan (my darling eldest child got me the 75th anniversary GWTW DVD gift pack for Christmas); of the ones I've not yet read, I'm drawn to three in particular - Shadow Game sounds *fabulous*! Of the freebies, I think I might like It Happened in Egypt, and possibly His Robot Girlfriend.

I have to go back and read the summaries again before I vote...
CarolineNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Vote early, vote often!
Old 01-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #21
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post

So do I. Must be my British roots!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #22
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
HRG! HRG! HRG! HRG!

C'mon, Jon. Surely you can get into a book about amorous androids!
I read this book and while it was sweet, it kind of had no plot. So I voted for Dead Until Dark
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:13 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gone With the Wind has taken an early lead. That would have made my late mother very happy. Gone With the Wind was her favorite movie, although her prediction that it would never appear on TV later showed her to be a less than infallible prophet.

I once took her to see the restored version when it played in a local theater several years ago, and I believe it did her heart good to see how the audience applauded when Clark Gable first appeared on the screen.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
I've gone with Gone With The Wind (sorry).

I won't read it unless there is an incentive (or enforcement) like a bookclub.

Besides, I've had it listed as 'reading' on Goodreads since I joined and I want a change.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:53 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I've gone with Gone With The Wind (sorry).

I won't read it unless there is an incentive (or enforcement) like a bookclub.

Besides, I've had it listed as 'reading' on Goodreads since I joined and I want a change.
Never feel bad about what you vote for
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #26
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Quote:
I don't feel bad about it, I just would like to be able to sit down and read it. But I only get a few dozen pages before I move to a different book.

Which is easy to do with over 2000 on shelves and I don't know how many on CD, DVD, etc
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #27
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...unless you vote wrong!

Old 01-25-2010, 02:19 PM   #28
kennyc

Yes! Vote Libertarian!!!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:33 PM   #29
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
Dead Until Dark is the first book in Charlaine Harris's series The Southern Vampire Mysteries / Sookie Stackhouse novels. In this first installment, the author introduces the character of Sookie Stackhouse, a young telepathic waitress from the fictional town of Bon Temps, Louisiana, and her world, an alternate history where vampires, shapeshifters and other supernatual beings coexist with humans. In Dead Until Dark Sookie begins a romantic entanglement with her vampire neighbor and is faced with a series of murders in town.
Quote:
Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews. It's a romantic mystery / urban fantasy. It's actually written by married couple. It has an e-book version.
How did this sneak in? (BTW: Fun book ) Bold, my emphasis.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yes! Vote Libertarian!!!
Oh, no! Politics!!! This thread is doomed for sure, now!

And you said I was evil!