Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #1
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Calibre as a service possible?

I would like to run Calibre as a service or on start up but without requiring a GUI window to be opened (or minimized even).
Basically, I want to set up Calibre to, say, grab some newspapers and ready them for my device so that I can grab them later by simply dragging and dropping them from the directory instead of using the GUI to send them to my device.

I tried calibre-server, but that seems to be only the web interface to the library. It doesn't seem to actually run any jobs (such as downloading a newspaper when scheduled to do so).

So, is this possible?

Thanks,

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The ebook-convert command will download newspapers.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

That sounds like I would have to maintain my own schedule and call ebook-convert with a set of parameters to do this.
And, maybe that's what I'll have to do, but I was really hoping to leverage the power of Calibre and it's feed of newsources and the configuration interface to set things up and then just let it run in the background doing it's thing.

Mitch
Old 01-09-2010, 04:04 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have it autostart with the --start-in-tray option
Old 01-09-2010, 04:49 PM   #5
Mitch G
Connoisseur

But of course!
And thanks for the quick replies.

Mitch
Old 01-09-2010, 06:40 PM   #6
Mitch G
Connoisseur

When I responded above, I assumed I could find a "run at startup in system tray" option in the Calibre configuration options.
Is that because I'm not seeing it? Or because it's not there and I need to go and figure out how to do that in XP.

Mitch
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's a command line option.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Mitch G
Connoisseur

And the command line options for calibre.exe are documented where?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:24 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
And the command line options for calibre.exe are documented where?
In the documentation. Or just run it with the --help command.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
BrianG
BrianG began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
--help?

I have been looking for the documentation for the command line options of calibre.exe as well, and I could not find anything in the User Guide.

When I try to run "calibre --help" or "calibre -h", I don't get any output from the command line (on Windows/Vista/32bit). Not sure what is going on, but can't seem to get anything on calibre.exe.

Any thoughts?

thanks.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Do you get invalid command or file name? If so, calibre isn't in your path.

Here is what I get:

~$ calibre --help
Usage: calibre [opts] [path_to_ebook]

Launch the main calibre Graphical User Interface and optionally add the ebook at
path_to_ebook to the database.

Whenever you pass arguments to calibre that have spaces in them, enclose the arguments in quotation marks.

Options:
--version show program's version number and exit

-h, --help show this help message and exit

--redirect-console-output
Redirect console output to a dialog window (both
stdout and stderr). Useful on windows where GUI apps
do not have a output streams.

--with-library=WITH_LIBRARY
Use the library located at the specified path.

--start-in-tray Start minimized to system tray.

-v, --verbose Log debugging information to console

--no-update-check Do not check for updates

Created by Kovid Goyal
~$

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-09-2010 at 09:41 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 PM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG View Post
I have been looking for the documentation for the command line options of calibre.exe as well, and I could not find anything in the User Guide.

When I try to run "calibre --help" or "calibre -h", I don't get any output from the command line (on Windows/Vista/32bit). Not sure what is going on, but can't seem to get anything on calibre.exe.

Any thoughts?

thanks.
Does not work on XP pro SP3 either, even in the calibre2 dir. any othe arguments and Calibre just launches the GUI.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Probably a windows specific bug. Open a ticket and I'll look into it.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:59 PM   #14
Mitch G
Connoisseur

That explains why I wasn't seeing anything when I tried -h/--help - I'm using XP as well.
Thanks for posting the output, pilotbob.

Mitch
Old 01-10-2010, 12:00 AM   #15
Mitch G
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Probably a windows specific bug. Open a ticket and I'll look into it.
Ticket 4511 has been opened.

Mitch