Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #1606
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series, as of now there are 3, Fated, Cursed and Taken.
Attachment 100384Attachment 100386Attachment 100387

These have been on my Amazon wish list for a while now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danskmacabre View Post
What do people think the minimum age recommendation for reading the Dreseden files series is?
My son is 12 and a voracious reader, but this series seems too adult (referring to sexual content and torture scenes etc) for his age, but not sure when is appropriate to allow him to read it.

I know he could understand and process it though, just concerned about the adult concepts.
With the concerns regarding violence and sexual content I would say 15, although I think a mature 13 year old might be able to handle the series just fine.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-31-2013 at 08:05 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #1607
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I'm quite sure he would love the books"in principal" it's just too violent for a 12 year old. there's sexual and sexually violent scenes in it.
Was just trying to say that Harry Dresden is not a Fifty Shades - trilogy. For that one to be able to enjoy the plot (and there is a good plot in Fifty Shades) you need to be somewhat more open-minded. How much violence is in super hero graphic novels? And they are supposed to be for kids, not?

And maybe I have ta agree with Nyssa there and put the number to a teenager.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 10:02 AM   #1608
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Was just trying to say that Harry Dresden is not a Fifty Shades - trilogy. For that one to be able to enjoy the plot (and there is a good plot in Fifty Shades) you need to be somewhat more open-minded. How much violence is in super hero graphic novels? And they are supposed to be for kids, not?

And maybe I have ta agree with Nyssa there and put the number to a teenager.
Well there is a scene in book one with a naked couple with their guts pulled out and is described graphically, I think that is too much for a 12 year old.

TBH I'll probs go with around 16, from then onwards he'll probably be reading what he wants regardless of my views anyway.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #1609
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Well there is a scene in book one with a naked couple with their guts pulled out and is described graphically, I think that is too much for a 12 year old.

TBH I'll probs go with around 16, from then onwards he'll probably be reading what he wants regardless of my views anyway.
You are quite right. Forgot about that. And if you remember right, Harry does get sick. So Jim is making sure that you as reader are aware of the wrongness (that a word? if not now it is) of the whole crime-scene. I actually remember reading something similar
Spoiler:
on an island. This time a girl on girl action, very visual. ( You will know when you get there. ) (Turn Coat)

Quite possible that I feel like a kid in the candy store reading the series, that I forget not everything that is funny and hilarious to me as an mature adult is equally entertaining for a growing developing younger little person.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-31-2013 at 11:54 AM. Reason: spoiler tag added
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #1610
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
What do people think the minimum age recommendation for reading the Dreseden files series is?
I began reading little segments of some of the books out-loud to my daughter when she was around 12-13. These mainly involved scenes that focused on Mister and, later, Mouse. So some selective editing was done on my part with just the omission of what was left unread.

She asked if I could loan her the books for "busy work" in school last year and I did thinking at 15-16 she could handle anything that might be referenced in the books.

Honestly, if your child is going to public school - anywhere - they have been exposed to way worse than anything that might appear in the Dresden series. Not being jaded here, just realistic.

Either way, when I think back to my reading selections when I was the same age, some of the horror and sci-fi books I was reading was probably a little over what I should have been exposed to, but I turned out OK...

...right?
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #1611
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
I began reading little segments of some of the books out-loud to my daughter when she was around 12-13. These mainly involved scenes that focused on Mister and, later, Mouse. So some selective editing was done on my part with just the omission of what was left unread.

She asked if I could loan her the books for "busy work" in school last year and I did thinking at 15-16 she could handle anything that might be referenced in the books.

Honestly, if your child is going to public school - anywhere - they have been exposed to way worse than anything that might appear in the Dresden series. Not being jaded here, just realistic.

Either way, when I think back to my reading selections when I was the same age, some of the horror and sci-fi books I was reading was probably a little over what I should have been exposed to, but I turned out OK...

...right?
Sorry, but that just hit a bit of a sore spot, with me. Public School has nothing to do with it. If your child is around any other children they will hear a lot.. period!

Examples:

1. The first curse word I ever heard said by a child was at a parochial (religious) private school. And although this school was a K - 12, the child was in 3rd grade (a grade lower than me at the time).

2. A friend of mine (A) invited the daughter of a friend of her's (B) for a sleep over. The girls were ages 10 (public school student) & 11 (home school student) respectively. While putting clothes away in her daughter's room, "A" saw a "Sex Quiz". Horrified she called her friend "B", who immediatly blamed "A"'s daughter becuase, well you know, she's in public school!!! Turns out the quiz was created by "B"'s daughter who was in the habit of reading the romance novels her mother left around the house.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-31-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #1612
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Those are bad examples... everyone knows the religious schools are for the kids kicked out of public school and the home-schoolers are not allowed anywhere.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 PM   #1613
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
I just finished Cold Days.

Holy crap. I didn't see that coming. Or, more accurately, I didn't see any of those coming. Wow. I don't think I need to list the things I'm referring to, for those who have read it.

Also, I see romance ahead for

Spoiler:
Toot and Lacuna

which should make things fun later.

I only wish "later" was "now". I literally just finished it ten minutes ago and I miss Harry already.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 10:40 PM   #1614
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Those are bad examples... everyone knows the religious schools are for the kids kicked out of public school and the home-schoolers are not allowed anywhere.
I've never been kicked out of a school in my life, thank you.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:47 PM   #1615
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I just finished Cold Days.

Holy crap. I didn't see that coming. Or, more accurately, I didn't see any of those coming. Wow. I don't think I need to list the things I'm referring to, for those who have read it.

Also, I see romance ahead for

Spoiler:
Toot and Lacuna

which should make things fun later.

I only wish "later" was "now". I literally just finished it ten minutes ago and I miss Harry already.
I know exactly how you feel. I did have a feeling about one thing, towards the end, but was hoping very much to be wrong... sadly, I wasn't. So now I'm hoping it leads to one of the best tag teams EVER!!
Old 01-31-2013, 11:14 PM   #1616
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I did have a feeling about one thing, towards the end, but was hoping very much to be wrong... sadly, I wasn't. So now I'm hoping it leads to one of the best tag teams EVER!!
I had this really odd few minutes where...

Spoiler:
I kept forgetting that Molly was there, until Harry mentioned it again, so for a bit I was thinking of the others present since Sarissa was now "assigned". I kid you not, for half a second, I actually wondered if Mac was the next Winter Lady. Yeah, I know that makes no sense, but I think I was caught up in "end of the book panic". And honestly, we don't know WTF he is. I mean, I'm pretty sure whatever he is isn't female, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

So I was going to plow right into the Shift Omnibus, but it's not on the reader yet and the USB cable wasn't where I could reach it from the bed (yeah, I know) so I decided to dive into one that's been on my "Next Reads" list FOREVAH - Already Dead by Charlie Huston, first of the Joe Pitt Casebooks. And then I find that Huston doesn't like the usual writing conventions, like properly formatted dialog. And now I don't know if I'm going to keep reading. Just because Cormac McCarthy got away with it, doesn't mean other people can. Huston uses em-dashes. That's it. Just em-dash before the words spoken.

-- Someone says this.
-- Someone else says this.
-- This person chimes in.

I'm annoyed.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:23 PM   #1617
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I had this really odd few minutes where...

Spoiler:
I kept forgetting that Molly was there, until Harry mentioned it again, so for a bit I was thinking of the others present since Sarissa was now "assigned". I kid you not, for half a second, I actually wondered if Mac was the next Winter Lady. Yeah, I know that makes no sense, but I think I was caught up in "end of the book panic". And honestly, we don't know WTF he is. I mean, I'm pretty sure whatever he is isn't female, but at this point nothing would surprise me.

**Snort**

Oh, thanks for reminding me about him. I forgot there was a question about his .. umm .. being.

Quote:
So I was going to plow right into the Shift Omnibus, but it's not on the reader yet and the USB cable wasn't where I could reach it from the bed (yeah, I know) so I decided to dive into one that's been on my "Next Reads" list FOREVAH - Already Dead by Charlie Huston, first of the Joe Pitt Casebooks. And then I find that Huston doesn't like the usual writing conventions, like properly formatted dialog. And now I don't know if I'm going to keep reading. Just because Cormac McCarthy got away with it, doesn't mean other people can. Huston uses em-dashes. That's it. Just em-dash before the words spoken.

-- Someone says this.
-- Someone else says this.
-- This person chimes in.

I'm annoyed.

Yeesh! Both the missing cable and the annoying format sucks!! Hopefully the story is compelling enough to allow you to continue resting in bed, and enjoy your reading.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:39 PM   #1618
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
**Snort**

Oh, thanks for reminding me about him. I forgot there was a question about his .. umm .. being.
Yep, and I'm not entirely pleased being left hanging, but I have hopes that it means the unraveling of that mystery will be done in a big way.

Quote:
Yeesh! Both the missing cable and the annoying format sucks!! Hopefully the story is compelling enough to allow you to continue resting in bed, and enjoy your reading.
Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #1619
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
My son is 12 and a voracious reader, but this series seems too adult (referring to sexual content and torture scenes etc) for his age, but not sure when is appropriate to allow him to read it.

I know he could understand and process it though, just concerned about the adult concepts.
It's going to depend a lot on the kid, but if he's reading any adult books now, these ones are probably fine. I wouldn't necessarily hand my just-turned-12 nephew the Dresden Files (and he's really still reading middle school stuff, and not "voraciously"), but I started reading Stephen King when I was 12-13, and he's more graphic in every respect than Butcher. If you were to brush book one under the rug (it does, after all, revolve around sex magic, and isn't that vital in setting up the characters) he would probably be fine.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:43 AM   #1620
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I actually think Harry set a record there in the wizarding world...

Spoiler:
Not killing 1, but 3 Fae ladies in his career.....so far....

What I also found interesting is
Spoiler:
that Mab actually said she was human before. Makes me wonder who killed her predecessor.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy