Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #46
ile
ile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Yes, agreed, but I don't happen to have a WiFi in my home, and I had hoped that I don't have to get it... let's just say that I'm old school and I prefer wires (it's true btw, although it doesn't explain why)
ile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #47
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Right, didn't even think of that . Like I said, it might still work (and probably does), but I haven't tested it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #48
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

Yes, I've disassembled some of the jars and I can assure you they are indeed obfuscated as hell.

That said, if I'm not mistaken, all that would really need to be reverse-engineered for homebrew development to take off is the display driver.
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #49
Ged_uk
Enthusiast
Ged_uk began at the beginning.

Device: K3-3G, HTC HD2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mubertmumphrey View Post
Yes, I've disassembled some of the jars and I can assure you they are indeed obfuscated as hell.
Yes looks like they use this product http://www.allatori.com/ not fun going through those files
G
Ged_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #50
zenob
zenob began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi,

I cannot connect to usbnetwork when i'm already connected to internet via wifi. Any idea how to fix it ?
zenob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #51
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Is there a way to configure my K3 so that:
  • ssh support over wifi
    This seems possible but looks to require a change to the firewall rules.
  • ssh password login required
    This looks to require a new sshd that requires a password. I haven't came across this yet.
  • usb port can be left as mass storage while ssh for wifi is enabled
    Not sure if this is possible.

My ideal situation is to be able to sftp files to and from from the kindle just by turning wifi on. I suppose if I have the kindle connected over usb and mounted, certain directories would no longer be accessible over wifi until I unmount.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM   #52
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@badbob001: Yes, the latest usbnetwork hack with K3_WIFI=true & K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true in the config file allow you to do just that, on all three counts. (And supports shared key auth, for a truly secure passwordless login).
Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 PM   #53
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@badbob001: Yes, the latest usbnetwork hack with K3_WIFI=true & K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true in the config file allow you to do just that, on all three counts. (And supports shared key auth, for a truly secure passwordless login).
Thanks for the info! For the new users, it seems that the usbnet documents are missing information to how to actually get it work after installation. Namely:
  1. ;debugON
  2. ~usbNetwork
  3. ;debugOFF

Then from the settings screen, I entered 711 to see my kindle's wifi ip address. I can continuously ping it. When I try to ssh in, I enter root and then am prompted for a password. Where can I can get this password? It certainly is not 'fiona'.

Alternatively, I'm trying the shared key authentication method. I downloaded puttygen and created a ssh-2 rsa key. I saved the private key locally and then export a openSSH formatted key to the kindle's usbnet/etc/authorized_keys. I try to connect with putty configured with the local private key, the kindle doesn't accept my key. I try a reboot of the kindle and now I can't ping or ssh to it. Do I need to run usbNetwork every time I restart or turn on the wireless? Is there a quick tutorial on this? Is there a way to check the current state of usbNetwork from some Kindle status page or over usb storage?

Since I'm using K3_WIFI=true and K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true, should I change DISABLED_auto to auto since this config should not affect my mass storage usb?

Also it appears that if the kindle is mounted as mass storage, wifi networking is disabled. Is this expected? I suppose this is a minor issue and just need to remember to unmount it before connecting over wifi.

Is the wifi suppose to be on even when the kindle goes to sleep? I was able to ping the kindle even though it showed the screensaver screen. I think I had it charging, but would it automatically suspend the wifi when on battery?

Last edited by badbob001; 10-17-2010 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM   #54
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@badbob001:

* I seem to remember updating the bundled readme with basic info about the whole private commands shindig...

* You'll have to switch it using passwd from an usb connection, with the K3_WIFI option off. Or run the passwd file through johntheripper. Or don't bother, and use pubkeys auth .

* Never tried with putty (with or without pageant, or whatever putty's ssh agent name is, not sure right now ) on windows, but I did try with putty & ssh-agent on Linux, and it worked. Make sure the authorized_keys file is not messed up, and has UNIX line endings. You shouldn't have to restart neither your Kindle, nor the sshd for this to be taken into account. I tried OpenSSH & dropbear generated keys, but AFAIK puttygen keys should work too. I'd suggest setting up your router with a DHCP rule to always give the same IP to the Kindle's MAC address, that should help with the IP issue, which in turns answers your last query (if there's nothing listening on the ssh port, then usbnet's off, and if it doesn't answer pings, you got the wrong IP, or wifi's off).

* You can, there shouldn't be any issues remaining with the autoboot feature.

* No idea about wifi+usbms, I'm not sure I even tried that more than 30s to see if I didn't mess up anything in the scripts .

* Apparently, yes, the wifi stays somewhat on during suspend. (I suppose that's to be expected, for all the Whispernet sync/auto deliveries stuff to take place properly). It may be in a slightly lower power consumption state, or switched off after a time, or only on for some period of times, I never really looked into that.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-17-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #55
Froggy666uk
Froggy666uk began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbob001 View Post
Alternatively, I'm trying the shared key authentication method. I downloaded puttygen and created a ssh-2 rsa key. I saved the private key locally and then export a openSSH formatted key to the kindle's usbnet/etc/authorized_keys.
Hi badbob001,

Apparently puttygen doesn't export keys in the required format. The following link tells you how to edit the puttygen generated file to fix - worked fine for me!!

Cheers,
Dave.

http://www.walkernews.net/2009/03/22...sa-public-key/
Froggy666uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:28 PM   #56
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That's way wrong/out of date.

Last I checked (and that was a few years ago, so it's not really something new), there's a prominent whole section of puttygen's GUI dedicated to the pubkey in the right format for OpenSSH's authorized_keys file after generating a key pair.

But, yeah, if you missed it, and you're using the pubkey file itself, of course, you'll have to tweak things a bit.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #57
badbob001
Fanatic

I have been trying to get this to work and ever since the initial time, it has been downhill since. Something mysterious is intermittently blocking network access to my Kindle 3G over wifi. If I start a continuous ping to the kindle and then start it's wifi, I will soon get ping replies. But after about 20-30 seconds, the pings will time out. In that very brief 20-30 seconds window, I can ssh to port 22 and login. But once the pings timeout, my ssh connection is lost. It's not my local PC since it's the same behavior from another PC. My PCs are on wired connections and the kindle shows a wifi signal strength of 4/5 bars.

For giggles, I uninstall 0.24.N and it's the same result where my pings are blocked 20-30 seconds after turning on wifi. Could there possibly be some changes that the uninstall doesn't revert? IPtables changes?

If I keep waiting, every 5-10 minutes, the pings will respond for a few seconds and port 22 is accessible again. And the cycle repeats. Any idea what is going on? It's almost as if a kindle's firewall is starting up, dying, and respawning.

Literally, this is all I've done in my latest session:
  1. Install 0.25.N
  2. Mount to USB
  3. Edit usbnet/etc/config to set K3_WIFI=true and K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY=true
  4. Copy authorized_keys to /usbnet/etc/
  5. Unmount
  6. Turn on Wifi
  7. ;debugOn
  8. ~useNetwork
  9. ;debugOff
Is there some sort of log I can access to see what it's doing? I suppose I would need to get networking over USB working to view that. No other hacks are installed such as the screensaver or font hacks.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #58
NiLuJe
BLAM!

It may simply be the Kindle power management daemon that's doing its thing... (AFAIK, there's no rules blocking ICMP pings, ever, so, iptables probably has nothing much to do with this ).

Do an open ssh connection actually hang? (EDIT: reread your message, yes. That's weird).

(And, yeah, you could look at /var/log/messages, dmesg, or a full ;dumpMessages).

Just to be sure, do the wifi actually work on the Kindle during these 'blackouts'? (ie. the browser).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-18-2010 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #59
badbob001
Fanatic

It turned out to be some weird ip conflict on my network. Now it's working great. Thanks!