Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
relative or symbolic paths

Is it possible to use relative (to the library) or symbolic paths in the Author Link property, same thing for links in 'long text' columns like Comments

I tried a few things but they didn't work. So if it's possible please spell it out in baby language and/or piccies

Thanks BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Wasn't sure what you meant as I only knew about the default author search link and often wondered what folks meant with Author Link. Today I found it and immediately remembered reading your post.

The short answer is, yes you can use relative paths in Author Link.

But...

the starting point is the Calibre program folder.

I just typed ..\..\ in one Author Link field to see where I would end up and when I clicked the Author, an Explorer window opened indeed with the selected folder being two levels above the calibre program folder.
To be sure it wasn't just a fluke, I changed it to ..\ and ended up in the folder in which the Calibre program folder is located. So it does work but it's not relative to the library in use.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Wasn't sure what you meant as I only knew about the default author search link and often wondered what folks meant with Author Link. Today I found it and immediately remembered reading your post.

The short answer is, yes you can use relative paths in Author Link.

But...

the starting point is the Calibre program folder.
@At_Libitum, thanks for trying.

I can probably assume this what a relative address does for everyone, not just me

I also tried using an environment variable in the path - CALIBRE_AUTHORS, but that didn't work either. I'm not sure how portable environment variables are in a generic sense.

For the author_links I could hack the database, but that's not so easy for the links embedded in long_text columns like Comments. I think I'll put the issue on the back burner for a while to see if I can hatch another plot.

BR
Old 11-27-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
At_Libitum
Addict
At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.At_Libitum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KyBook
Not sure what you want to achieve, and it may be a lot of work. But if you cannot get what you want by modifying the link, would modifying the target be of use?

e.g. creating shortcuts in the file system to the location you actually want to end up, and point the author link to the shortcut? That way the shortcut can be placed in a, perhaps easier to reference, known location.
At_Libitum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by At_Libitum View Post
Not sure what you want to achieve, and it may be a lot of work. But if you cannot get what you want by modifying the link, would modifying the target be of use?

e.g. creating shortcuts in the file system to the location you actually want to end up, and point the author link to the shortcut? That way the shortcut can be placed in a, perhaps easier to reference, known location.
Nah, I want to rearrange (move) the data, so I'm up for changing the links anyway - I was looking for a way to use an indirect reference so that if/when I want to move them again it will be easier.

Its not critical - just something I'd like to do. Didn't realise when I started creating these supplementary author folders and book files that I would soon have almost 3000 of them. The directory structure I'm using is too shallow.

BR
Advert
Old 12-04-2013, 05:27 AM   #6
aliceten
aliceten began at the beginning.

You can use Long Path Tool for such issues, it works good.
aliceten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliceten View Post
You can use Long Path Tool for such issues, it works good.
Thanks aliceten - however my query has nothing to do with path lengths.

I have author links and links in long text columns specified as absolute paths - I was looking for a way to use relative (to the library) or symbolic paths so that in the future I could move things without having to re-enter/edit the links.

BR