Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #14806
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Okay, I'm probably going to be able to finish The Last Policemantoday (146/218)! It strikes me that this is the second brisk book dealing with an apocalypse told in first person in a row for me and, while Warm Bodies was good, The Last Policeman is the superior book. I just realized there are promised sequels for both of these. Ha!

Anyway, I seriously love The Last Policeman so far. To reference another apocalyptic book, like On The Beach, it is a look at how people live under the thread of impending doom. What would you still care about? Would you do your job? I haven't gotten to the end of the book but I'm wondering about the sequels-to-come. I, mean, it is not as if there is that much time left. Anyway, I think it should be a movie starring probably Joseph Gordon Levitt.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #14807
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool G. Norman Lippert and Richard Castle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Really enjoyed The Hobbit and though I called it a re-read my original read was in the early 70's and I sure had forgotten and/or misremembered a lot! Now back to my re-read of James Potter And The Vault Of Destinies.

I just finished my re-read of the three James Potter novels by G. Norman Lippert as a preparation for the fourth James Potter novel, James Potter and the Morrigan Web. I enjoyed the re-read and am looking forward to the release of the fourth book (supposedly before Christmas).

Ok, for a change of pace I just started reading the novella trilogy featuring the character Derrick Storm by the fictional writer, Rickard Castle. So far it feels quite different than the Niki Heat novels.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #14808
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by covingtoncat73 View Post
Okay, I'm probably going to be able to finish The Last Policemantoday (146/218)! It strikes me that this is the second brisk book dealing with an apocalypse told in first person in a row for me and, while Warm Bodies was good, The Last Policeman is the superior book. I just realized there are promised sequels for both of these. Ha!

Anyway, I seriously love The Last Policeman so far. To reference another apocalyptic book, like On The Beach, it is a look at how people live under the thread of impending doom. What would you still care about? Would you do your job? I haven't gotten to the end of the book but I'm wondering about the sequels-to-come. I, mean, it is not as if there is that much time left. Anyway, I think it should be a movie starring probably Joseph Gordon Levitt.
Thanks for the recommendation. Just added to my TBRL .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #14809
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Yep me too

Also started to read Charles Dickens's Christmas Carol which is my favourite Christmas story. Always watches the movies, never read the book. It's awesome!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:19 AM   #14810
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Benedict Jacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I just finished my re-read of the three James Potter novels by G. Norman Lippert as a preparation for the fourth James Potter novel, James Potter and the Morrigan Web. I enjoyed the re-read and am looking forward to the release of the fourth book (supposedly before Christmas).

Ok, for a change of pace I just started reading the novella trilogy featuring the character Derrick Storm by the fictional writer, Rickard Castle. So far it feels quite different than the Niki Heat novels.

Right after beginning to read A Brewing Storm I paused to view the two videos featured in my latest post on The Dresden Files thread. In one of the videos Jim Butcher recommends Benedict Jacka's Alex Verus series. Well that made me stop the Derrick Storm books and grab a copy of Fated, the first in the Alex Verus series. I've just started it.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2012, 03:59 AM   #14811
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am currently reading Wool Omnibus. Had to stop last night after part 3 because I was too tired to continue, and now I can't wait to go back to it!
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:35 AM   #14812
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I am currently reading Wool Omnibus.
Same here. I'm 85% in the book. Immensely enjoying it!
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #14813
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
Just reading the last of Arnaldur Indriðason's Reykjavik Murder Mysteries, having read from book 1 to book 8 without a break. I find that this is a great way of getting into the characters and getting some continuity.

I did the same with George RR Martin earlier this year and before that I did Wheel of Time without interruption.

I just find it so hard picking up the latest in a series and spending the first 100 pages thinking "was it him or was it her that...". I dread picking up the new Wheel of Time by Brandon Sanderson because there are just so many plots and sub-plots left up in the air and a never-decreasing list of characters that I hate having to keep going back to the appendix to remember who they are.

Where to next?

Thinking of venturing into Discworld, Harry Bosch or Jack Reacher. They should keep me going for a while.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #14814
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I was reading Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman when Going Alien, a collection of sci-fi short-stories by MobileRead author Jeffrey A. Carver ("starrigger"), came to my attention. After reading the sample—an engaging story entitled "Shapeshifter Finals" about an inter-planetary wrestling match between a shapeshifter and a human—I just had to buy the book and finish the story. Now I'm back to reading Misquoting Jesus, after which I'll read the remaining stories in Going Alien.

Interestingly, I meant to download a sample of another of Carver's sci-fi short story collections, Reality and Other Fictions, because the title intrigued me, but I must have accidentally sent the sample to one of my other Kindles. I've since downloaded a sample to my PaperWhite, and will no doubt read that one, also.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #14815
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Interestingly, I meant to download a sample of another of Carver's sci-fi short story collections, Reality and Other Fictions, because the title intrigued me, but I must have accidentally sent the sample to one of my other Kindles. I've since downloaded a sample to my PaperWhite, and will no doubt read that one, also.
I picked up Reality and Other Fictions when he offered if for free a while back but can't comment on it as I've not gotten to it yet.

Do you find the bible stories and the SF stories similar?
I know I do.

I'm working through some backs stacks, currently "Best American Essays 2008" as well as continuing to read essay selections from In Fact and from Touchstone Anthology of Contemporary Creative Nonfiction: Work from 1970 to the Present

mostly good stuff, with a stinker here and there...

Last edited by kennyc; 12-07-2012 at 03:43 PM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #14816
Dreamnine
Enthusiast
Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dreamnine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, iPod Touch 5
I just finished The Black Box by Michael Connolly - really good.

I forgot how much I enjoy his novels.
Dreamnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #14817
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Now I'm back to reading Misquoting Jesus,
Did the scribes really leave the 'r' out of celibrate?

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #14818
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
My next book is a traditional fantasy and second book in a series that I started last year (yep - I'm that slow). The book is The Wayfarer King by K C May, second book in the Kinshield Saga. Again, this is one for my review site.
I finished this a few days ago and although the story seemed competent, it didn't really spark a great reaction from me. I was quite impressed with the first book, but this this book felt like a closer that the author waited too long to write and did so grudgingly.

The prose is fine, the characters are as I remembered them, but the plot felt like the most efficient string of mechanisms to get closure. It was a shame really.

I also completed Ethan Frome today for the book club. Lovely writing and I enjoyed the feel of the story. The resolution (if you could call it that) was as empty and bleak as the landscape in which the story is set. Very worthwhile experience.

My next book is another indie book. Sea of Crises by Marty Steere, a mystery/conspiracy thriller. I enjoyed the sample so it will be interesting to find out if the novel delivers on its early promise.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #14819
bcgirl
Groupie
bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bcgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad2-64gb, Sony PRS-T1, KOBO mini
Think I am going to purchase "Merry Christmas Alex Cross" from James Patterson. Am a huge James Patterson (Alex Cross)fan and started to read the Cross-series again but now I want to read the new novel so badly!
bcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:47 AM   #14820
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Man-Kzin Wars XII created by Larry Niven. Wow. I bought this one back in December 2008, but I don't seem to have got around to it. It's time!
I hadn't read it. It was good, with attempts to fill in some of the gaps in Niven's Known Space future history. Interesting stories and characters, in-between the hot wars with the Kzin.

Next up: The Closed Worlds by Edmond Hamilton. The second in the series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote