Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-10-2009, 12:38 AM   #1
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: my two eyes, KLiiK, Sony PRS-700
Arrow USB Power Adapter

So I'll be receiving my Sony PRS-700 soon. I know it doesn't come with any charger so I'm scouting around to look for one. The Sony Charger is a bit cumbersome looking.

I'm thinking of getting a USB charger instead. This is a charger that plugs into the wall and charges USB devices. Apple makes one that looks like this:

The URL to get to the product description on Amazon is here:
http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Power-Ad...dp_ob_title_ce

Do you think a USB charger can work with the PRS-700? I know that for the PRS-700, charging by USB takes 4 hours and by the regular AC/DC adapter socket takes 2 hours. But to me, I'd rather have the slower rate charging if the USB charger works with it. The reason is because the USB charger is soooo much smaller! One point for having an eBook is portability and if one has to lug around a heavy (not to mention ugly) cumbersome AC adapter, that defeats the purpose.

Last edited by thibaulthalpern; 03-10-2009 at 02:06 AM.
thibaulthalpern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 07:05 AM   #2
hieubg
hieubg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-700
Yes, you can use this usb changer for PRS700. I'm now using iphone usb changer to charging my reader and i don't know how much time it take because i charging at night when i sleep. If you use the normal usb cable you can't read while charging but with this PSP cable http://www.amazon.com/SEM-USBPD-BK-D...6682712&sr=8-4 you can read while charging.
hieubg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It's very unlikely this charger will work. The Reader needs a real USB host (i.e. a PC) to charge, something that connects just 5V line won't work.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The PSP adapter I bought (for $8) is not heavy (but maybe ugly-ish). You can try this, but I'd recommend just getting the PSP charger, since that is known to work.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
hmmm.. thats a a cool looking adapter. let us know if it works, cuz like you said the psp charger is chunky.
Does any one know if the cell phone chargers that have the mini usb end work on the reader?
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #6
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I'm all for aesthetics, but does it really matter what your charger looks like? I purchased the charger for the 700 from Sony and it works great. I like that fact that it controls the charge going into the unit from the power source(the reason for the adaptor) and I even plug the charger into a surge protector for extra security. As much as my family spent on my reader, I don't want to take any chances using something that could cause problems. Good luck with your new reader!
Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist
thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thibaulthalpern ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I'm all for aesthetics, but does it really matter what your charger looks like? I purchased the charger for the 700 from Sony and it works great. I like that fact that it controls the charge going into the unit from the power source(the reason for the adaptor) and I even plug the charger into a surge protector for extra security. As much as my family spent on my reader, I don't want to take any chances using something that could cause problems. Good luck with your new reader!
Kaz
Everyone seems to be hooking on to the point where I mentioned the PRS-700 charger is ugly. In fact, that is the secondary point, PEOPLE!!! :-) The primary point is that the PRS-700 charger is HEAVY and CLUNKY. Then I added "and besides, ugly".

So, the point is that I don't want a heavy and clunky charger because that defeats the purpose of portability.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by hieubg View Post
Yes, you can use this usb changer for PRS700. I'm now using iphone usb changer to charging my reader and i don't know how much time it take because i charging at night when i sleep. If you use the normal usb cable you can't read while charging but with this PSP cable http://www.amazon.com/SEM-USBPD-BK-D...6682712&sr=8-4 you can read while charging.
That's great news! I'd rather spend the same money for the Apple charger than the Sony charger.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM   #9
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphapheemail View Post
hmmm.. thats a a cool looking adapter. let us know if it works, cuz like you said the psp charger is chunky.
Does any one know if the cell phone chargers that have the mini usb end work on the reader?
It is a cool charger. It's very small, about the size of a little cube. Here's another profile image of the adapter and you can see why if this little charger work, it's very good for the PRS-700.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
It is a cool charger. It's very small, about the size of a little cube. Here's another profile image of the adapter and you can see why if this little charger work, it's very good for the PRS-700.

I'm concerned it won't work, since mini USB AC chargers will not work with the Reader. It is cool though, and if it doesn't work I'm sure you have something else it could work with.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #11
Server
Anti-Narcissist
Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Server has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SØNY6
my own understanding is that if one were to use the Apple USB/AC charger
for the reader, you should be able to trickle charge the unit but nowhere near
as fast as using a regular AC charger. I will test this when I get home, but I
see no reason why it should not work. The only stipulation (as mentioned in
the past) make sure you use the SUPPLIED USB cable, as some cables do not
automatically have charging capabilities. Some just sync and others just charge
and the one Sony supplies does Both simultaneously.
Server is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #12
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
The supplied usb cable into my USB hub works, and so does my Blackberry charger. Though it's getting the USB charge so you can't read while it charges witch IMO is a good reason to get the PSP charger. (I mostly just use the USB cable and my mac though).
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #13
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I'm concerned it won't work, since mini USB AC chargers will not work with the Reader. It is cool though, and if it doesn't work I'm sure you have something else it could work with.
The person who owns this USB charger says it actually works with the PRS-700. This is the same charger that comes with the iPhone 3G, which the person who posted in the 2nd post says works.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #14
gokalp
gokalp began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs 700
You don't need a PSP charger to simultaneously charge and read. You can use a simple USB charger and use a PSP usb charging cable such as this one:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.17983

It has a PSP compatible plug which gets connected to the power on USB port. The cable is pretty cheap on dealextreme (with free but super slow shipping), and I find it really convenient as I do not like to carry multiple power supplies when I travel, whether for my PSP or for my PRS 700.
gokalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #15
thibaulthalpern
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokalp View Post
It has a PSP compatible plug which gets connected to the power on USB port. The cable is pretty cheap on dealextreme (with free but super slow shipping), and I find it really convenient as I do not like to carry multiple power supplies when I travel, whether for my PSP or for my PRS 700.
Just so that I don't damage anything, when I use that PSP cable plugged into a USB charger, do I plug the USB cable into the PRS-700's USB port for charging, or do I plug the DC cable into the PRS-700's AC/DC port, or I do both?