Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 08-11-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
DanCa
DanCa began at the beginning.

Device: none
CM 11 vs stock on HD+

I just bought a Nook HD+ and wonder if there is any downside (or no real upside) of installing CM 11.

I have no plans of using the BN store, my reading is mostly scientific articles and books.
DanCa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
You would have a newer version of Android. Whether that would be any benefit to you, I can't say.

You can use it stock and add a launcher, such as Nova, and it won't look like a Nook tablet.

I tried (and failed) to modify mine....so I would probably buy the download from n2acards.com, if I wanted to spend the money. (I did that for my 7" Nook-it runs kitkat).

If you can make a card yourself and dual boot, that might be your best option, then you can see which you like best, stock or CM 11.

I definitely like Kitkat better on my Nook HD.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #3
DanCa

I'll try it and will report. Thanks
Old 08-16-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
See http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583952 (including in particular http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=84) and http://iamafanof.wordpress.com/2013/...-xx-20dec2013/ for info/pointers on how to create CM1 SDcard.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Using SDFormatter seems to help a lot, although with CM11 my Nook HD+ has gotten really picky about microSD cards. I had to copy the data off my external one, reformat, and copy it back to make it happy. It was actually going into reboot loops at times, booting slowly, apps not launching at startup (all of them installed to the internal storage, none on the external), etc. It really, really disliked it, but it worked fine and dandy for most of a year with CM 10.1.

Also, it hated my installer microSD card until it was reformatted. Hated it so badly that the Nook wouldn't even turn on and required a hard reset. I installed CM 10.1 on two different Nook HD+'s with that card (including the one in question), so I have no clue at all what caused that. Once I got it formatted to make it happy it was fine though.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 01:21 AM   #6
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
If you're invested in the B&N ecosystem, it might matter. Things like Read In Store won't work, and the NOOK app for Android can't handle (for some reason) some "enhanced" ebooks and magazines.

If you don't care about these things, there's little reason not to run alternative firmware.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:36 PM   #7
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstro View Post
If you're invested in the B&N ecosystem, it might matter. Things like Read In Store won't work, and the NOOK app for Android can't handle (for some reason) some "enhanced" ebooks and magazines.

If you don't care about these things, there's little reason not to run alternative firmware.
You also, unless it's changed in the past year, have to sideload the Nook app to it after putting CM on there. They seem to have it listed as incompatible with the devices otherwise. Runs just fine after it's on there.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
DanCa

I played a bit with the BN stock ROM and then directly installed CM11 following these instructions here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...26&postcount=7
Everything worked very well. The only problem was that I could not mark the partition on the uSD card as active through the disk manager on windows 7, but using diskpart on the command line worked (description here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...=ws.10%29.aspx)

One thing I noticed is that for large pdfs (50 MB) all of the readers that I've tried (acroread, moon+, MuPDF) are not very responsive. Sometimes it takes 2 seconds to flip a page. Unfortunately I didn't try this on the BN ROM, so I don't know if it would be different. I highly doubt it.
In general I am very happy with CM.

Thanks everyone for your comments.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #9
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
I'm still running CM10 and keep getting notices that CM11 is ready to download. The SD slot quit working on my HD+, so I have to download it to main memory. Last time I tried to install it, my HD+ crashed during the install. Fortunately I was able to go back to CM10. Haven't tried it since. I'm perfectly happy with the way CM10 is running, so I'm looking for a reason to "upgrade".
PDFs were slower for me on the stock ROM, by the way. The HD+ isn't the speediest device around to begin with.
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:14 PM   #10
DanCa

Haven' tried 10, but from what I've read the difference is small. Let me know if you'd like me to try something out.
Old 09-09-2014, 07:05 PM   #11
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

CM11 works fine with no glitches? No mysterious reboots or any of that?
Old 09-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #12
DanCa

So far not a single glitch or reboot (in a week). The only problem that I have is that some pdfs crash the readers, but not the os.

I could not make it connect to Windows XP (that seems to be a common problem).
XP tries to install a driver and fails. Uninstalling the driver in the device manager (MTP device) fixes the problem.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #13
kevinp
Fanatic

I'm tempted to try it again, but I'm completely happy with the way mine is working right now.

I've discovered Google Play Books. I upload my PDFs from my computer and they appear on my HD+ and my phone and synchronize between the two. None of my PDFs have crashed yet. But, Play Books is very basic as far as readers go. Can't access the "bookmarks" in the PDFs if it has them.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
I'm still running CM10 and keep getting notices that CM11 is ready to download. The SD slot quit working on my HD+, so I have to download it to main memory. Last time I tried to install it, my HD+ crashed during the install. Fortunately I was able to go back to CM10. Haven't tried it since.
Did you first update your CWM recovery? CM11 installation requires CWM version 6.0.4.5 or newer. See http://forum.xda-developers.com/nook...mc-to-t2863171 for pointers on how to update HD+ EMMC from CM10 to CM11.

FWIW I am running CM11 M9 build (the M builds are now what used to be labeled "stable" releases -- for more info see http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cm-1...-release-items and http://www.cyanogenmod.org/blog/cyan...1-0-m6-release) and am pretty happy with it. I have held off on updating to M10 as some folks have reported having problems after updating to it (see recent posts at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2600572).

Last edited by livramax; 09-21-2014 at 11:21 AM.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #15
kevinp
Fanatic

No, I tried with whatever version CWM I put on there almost a year ago. Thanks for the link. I'll probably give it a go sometime this week.

Tags
cyanogenmod, nook hd+