Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
rhtq35h
rhtq35h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Calibre not automatically adding books

Hi,

I have a folder set up where all my downloaded books are moved to. I have this folder specified in the auto add section, no formats ignored, and i have auto add files of all types checked.

I can add books manually from this folder but they aren't auto added.

I found a thread on this forum where someone posted that a space in the folder name could be an issue; I renamed the folder but no change.

Is there anything else I can look at? Thanks!
rhtq35h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhtq35h View Post
Hi,

I have a folder set up where all my downloaded books are moved to. I have this folder specified in the auto add section, no formats ignored, and i have auto add files of all types checked.

I can add books manually from this folder but they aren't auto added.

I found a thread on this forum where someone posted that a space in the folder name could be an issue; I renamed the folder but no change.

Is there anything else I can look at? Thanks!
What version NUMBER Calibre?
What OS?

Check the File permissions of the books in the folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #3
rhtq35h

I have the latest version of calibre, w7, and I checked the file permissions and it's all fine.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
On preferences > adding books > automatic adding tab:

Specify a folder. Use the "browse for folder" button to the right to reset the path (just to make sure. It needs the entire path, not just the folder name.)

Last edited by unboggling; 12-14-2013 at 05:43 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:32 AM   #5
rhtq35h

Yep, I've the full path selected.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it's checked, Uncheck Auto add files of all types. Any filetypes that are Checked under that in Ignore will be ignored. Or leave Auto add files of all types Checked, along with Unchecking all the Ignore filetypes that you want to auto-add.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
rhtq35h

I don't have any typos checked to ignore.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:56 AM   #8
unboggling
Wizard

Then I'm stumped

Edit: Is Add folder by any chance on a net share?

Last edited by unboggling; 12-14-2013 at 05:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The files you want to add should be in the directory itself, not in subdirectories. The directory should be on a native windows filesystem, not a networked filesystem/external disk/etc. The path to the directory should be short and simple (long and complex should also work, but it is best to keep things simple).
You must have read, write and delete permissions on the directory and all files in it. The files you are trying to auto-add must be of a known ebook format, files with random extensions will be ignored, unless you have the setting for auto adding all file types enabled.

Check for typos and make sure you have not clicked ignore for any of the formats.

If all of the above are done, and it still does not work then you are out of luck, you wil just have to live with manual adding.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:02 AM   #10
unboggling
Wizard

Deleted.

Last edited by unboggling; 12-14-2013 at 07:53 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
rhtq35h

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Then I'm stumped

Edit: Is Add folder by any chance on a net share?
It's on a NAS but I tested it on the computer directly and it doesn't work either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The files you want to add should be in the directory itself, not in subdirectories. The directory should be on a native windows filesystem, not a networked filesystem/external disk/etc. The path to the directory should be short and simple (long and complex should also work, but it is best to keep things simple).
You must have read, write and delete permissions on the directory and all files in it. The files you are trying to auto-add must be of a known ebook format, files with random extensions will be ignored, unless you have the setting for auto adding all file types enabled.

Check for typos and make sure you have not clicked ignore for any of the formats.

If all of the above are done, and it still does not work then you are out of luck, you wil just have to live with manual adding.
Thanks for all the replies. Checked everything there and no difference. I definitely had it working at some stage which it makes it all the more frustrating!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's on a NAS but I tested it on the computer directly and it doesn't work either.

Thanks for all the replies. Checked everything there and no difference. I definitely had it working at some stage which it makes it all the more frustrating!
The not on NAS/Network thing is not because it can't work.
It is because it is unreliable and can burp at any time.

As a test
Grab one of the books from the MR Library and directly download to your PC.
Now drag/copy to the Auto-Add folder ON THE PC.

does that work?
Old 12-14-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
rhtq35h

Yeah I tried a short path on my pc and it didn't work.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Yeah I tried a short path on my pc and it didn't work.
Is the pathname a simple ASCII name?
Old 12-14-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
rhtq35h

Yep, root folder called books. No subdirectories.