Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Glo's minimum light setting too bright for a dark room?
Yes 92 54.44%
No 61 36.09%
Undecided 16 9.47%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #16
frankieGom
Interested
frankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverfrankieGom exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kobo Touch & Glo, Sony PRS-T1
After some fiddling around, I settled for lowest setting when reading in low light situations.I don't know whether I'd use a lower setting but there's only one way to find out...

Is this a HW limitation or can this be changed in SW, that is the big question!
frankieGom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #17
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
It isn't a showstopper for me, but I would use a dimmer setting than currently available when reading in a dark room.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:11 PM   #18
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
It can probably be changed in the firmware as it is likely a PWM (pulse width modulation) based dimmer with a MOSFET driver since there are so many discrete steps offered. The thing is they probably can't go too dim without making it look blotchy depending on just how "homogenous" the diffuser is, and the high end should be resistor limited for maximum current just in case the device goes off kilter so it can't burn the LEDs out if they got left on at max voltage/current.

Me being me, I have to ask you guys with the minimum brightness problems, "Don't any of you have sunglasses?" I know, I know, they stay in the car so you don't loose them...

I wouldn't mind seeing the white on black reversal option on the regular touch too. With broad stroked fonts it might be easier on the eyes. I like the option on my android tablets, but, of course, they're backlit.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #19
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Looks like responses are pretty evenly divided! I think the white on black background idea is fantastic if feasible with a software update, and not just on the Glo...
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #20
mutant_matt
Enthusiast
mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.mutant_matt can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Touch
Well, I just voted for it to go dimmer, though I'm not that bothered, as it's pretty much nearly dim enough on the minimum for me.

However, I just had a play with a Kindle Paperwhite in Waterstones and that has both many more smaller gradations, and goes quite a bit dimmer. I also couldn't fault the display in any way, so have no idea if the fuss about the paperwhite has any bearing on this. It looked good to me. (still prefer the way you use a Kobo though, seems more intuitive to me at least).

Matt
mutant_matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #21
symon79
symon79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I think it's too bright as well, not comfortable to read in pitch black.
I would like to have both options, inverted text (white on black) and a dimmer setting of the light (even if this means more shadows).
symon79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #22
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I read on my new Glo last night in bed and I didn't find the lowest setting too bright. (Trying the highest setting, though, almost made my eyes pop out of my head!)
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #23
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yeah, at the highest setting you can use the Glo as a torch lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanna View Post
I read on my new Glo last night in bed and I didn't find the lowest setting too bright. (Trying the highest setting, though, almost made my eyes pop out of my head!)
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #24
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
No. The lowest level is fine for night time reading. During the day I use it anywhere between the lowest level and the 50 % setting.

Ditto
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #25
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Glo owners! Do you find that the minimum light level when used to read in the dark is too bright?
Since Kobo gave the option to adjust the light from min levels to higher intensity its a moot point. For some of us the brightest light level makes the reading easier on the the eyes. For others the lowest setting is what works best for them. Yet again the various levels in between will work best for others. Bottom line is no the light is not to bright as its complete adjustable. If there was no way to adjust it then prehaps this would be an issue but as it stands you can adjust it. And as to shadows, well they could have positioned the bulb a little lower to avoid this.

Regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #26
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
Since Kobo gave the option to adjust the light from min levels to higher intensity its a moot point. For some of us the brightest light level makes the reading easier on the the eyes. For others the lowest setting is what works best for them. Yet again the various levels in between will work best for others. Bottom line is no the light is not to bright as its complete adjustable. If there was no way to adjust it then prehaps this would be an issue but as it stands you can adjust it.
You have completely missed the point. We are complaining because the MINIMUM adjustment is not low enough for us when reading in total darkness. We want to be able to make it even lower.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #27
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I voted NO as for me the lowest level is not too bright. In fact I find lowest + 1 to be OK as well. My room is in almost total darkness.

However, the inversion proposal is good, I would like to try that if it could be made available.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #28
mduser
mduser began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by symon79 View Post
I think it's too bright as well, not comfortable to read in pitch black.
I would like to have both options, inverted text (white on black) and a dimmer setting of the light (even if this means more shadows).
I agree with this. I find the light much too bright in total darkness. I even find I am holding the device farther away (stretch my arms more) too reduce the brightness a little that way. I've always thought my eyes were too sensitive for bright lights in a dark environment. I also have my bedside clockradio at its dimmest setting. Maybe vitamin A deficiency (or overdose ).
mduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #29
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I have a Kobo Glo and use slightly above the minimum in the dark when reading in the rocking chair with my son. He prefers it to my ipod touch so I think it is lower than the settings I have been using on that. I really like the light settings.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #30
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
What does the .config file look like? I know in the Touch you can use a simple text editor to manually change the Full Page Refresh rate to any number you want among other things.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote