Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 08:28 AM   #1
BrentB
Connoisseur
BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.BrentB can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Best source formats to convert to epub?

I think I saw a list of the best formats to convert to epub in order of best to worst somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it with the search. Could someone post a short list? I've got a couple files in a few different formats (PDF, TXT, LIT, LRF, & RTF) and was wondering which would convert to epub the best.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Of those, probably LIT. PDF and TXT will convert terribly. RTF would probably work, but you wouldn't have a cover image, or table of contents... And I don't know enough about the LRF spec to offer a judgment on it.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
I think I saw a list of the best formats to convert to epub in order of best to worst somewhere, but for the life of me I can't find it with the search. Could someone post a short list? I've got a couple files in a few different formats (PDF, TXT, LIT, LRF, & RTF) and was wondering which would convert to epub the best.
From Calibre's FAQ.
Quote:
What are the best source formats to convert?

In order of decreasing preference: LIT, MOBI, EPUB, HTML, PRC, RTF, PDB, TXT, PDF
>>>>>>>>>>>>==========<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Of those, probably LIT. PDF and TXT will convert terribly. RTF would probably work, but you wouldn't have a cover image, or table of contents... And I don't know enough about the LRF spec to offer a judgment on it.
My format of choice has been to convert from Lit, usually with great success 99% of the time. Only lit files that were converted to lit from txt or pdf are bad. Lit files created as lit files from the bottom up are great. A badly formatted lit file (like any other) can be seen prior to conversion and should just be avoided. Garbage in, garbage out.

If you add a cover image before you convert to epub even a converted rtf file will have a cover when it changes to epub.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-04-2010 at 08:53 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete
Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Don't forget formats like ODT. If you are starting with an RTF or TXT or such then importing that into openoffice and saving as an ODT will let you do some fancy formatting on chapter headings and so on that might not be in the RTF.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2010, 06:55 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Don't forget formats like ODT. If you are starting with an RTF or TXT or such then importing that into openoffice and saving as an ODT will let you do some fancy formatting on chapter headings and so on that might not be in the RTF.
Good point if you have to start with rtf or text. Here is an old thread that talked about using ODT macros to setup text conversions to PDF.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I agree about using LIT and avoiding LRF. LRF is not based on HTML.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
I use Calibre to convert from LRF to Epub with no problems at all.
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #9
rmm200
Groupie
rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmm200 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Not on your list, but html or xhtml will convert best, since EPub is just a wrapper around xhtml and css. Any process that converts what you have to xhtml - and looks good - will work well.

Another note - I downloaded a really awful looking EPub from Guttenberg. I downloaded the zip version, extracted the xhtml, and used Calibre to convert it back to EPub. The graphics came back (missing in the original EPub), and the result was outstanding. This was the very good book on knot tying, which was useless without the woodcuts.

Robert

Last edited by rmm200; 03-05-2010 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Add book note
rmm200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #10
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm200 View Post
Not on your list, but html or xhtml will convert best, since EPub is just a wrapper around xhtml and css. Any process that converts what you have to xhtml - and looks good - will work well.
LIT is also just a wrapper around (X?)HTML and CSS. And as a bonus it already has an OPF file to yoink metadata and TOC from.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
This was the very good book on knot tying, which was useless without the woodcuts.
Can you post it or give me a link? I had a request for a book on knots just the other day!
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #12
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
LIT is the best in my experience, and PDF is the worst.
I have trouble importing some RTF and HTML for conversion. Calibre would just freeze during "adding" stage. Other than that, Calibre is a godsend.
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

Another note - I downloaded a really awful looking EPub from Guttenberg. I downloaded the zip version, extracted the xhtml, and used Calibre to convert it back to EPub. The graphics came back (missing in the original EPub), and the result was outstanding. This was the very good book on knot tying, which was useless without the woodcuts.

Robert
LOL! I downloaded that book too, though I haven't had time to play around with it to see if it even worked or not.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote