Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-15-2014, 03:20 AM   #16
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
It is also entirely likely that his readers will pick up the book on their smartphone/tablet through the Kindle app, while passing through the airport.
I was talking about his numbers that say the Kindle e-book sales peaked for him at 2012.
My point was that the ratios of paper versus e-book are different for a very successful bestseller writer, midlist author, midlist author with large backlist, rookie, and indie and bestseller indie (such as Amanda Hocking). Romance writers for Harlequin of mills and Boon are category by itself, with readers with entirely different shopping habits.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:02 AM   #17
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm not one for worrying about what an authors political or any other views are (within reason!), but I have to say, what harriska2 says about not buying any more of his books did cross my mind immediately after seeing this interview. I'll probably just try and get them even cheaper than I normally do instead though...

The most I've paid for one of the Reacher books since getting my Kindle is £3.99, I usually wait a year after its release to get it at that price or lower. I've got enough other books to read in the meantime so I don't need to spend £10 buying the latest one as its released. So if he isn't fussed about the significance of those who see a difference between £8 and £10..... well I don't matter at all to him then.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I was talking about his numbers that say the Kindle e-book sales peaked for him at 2012.
My point was that the ratios of paper versus e-book are different for a very successful bestseller writer, midlist author, midlist author with large backlist, rookie, and indie and bestseller indie (such as Amanda Hocking). Romance writers for Harlequin of mills and Boon are category by itself, with readers with entirely different shopping habits.
And since his source is his publishers, I am not so sure I believe his numbers. They already have a reputation of fudging numbers...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #19
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
I just have to ask, since comments like this seem to pop up quite alot: Do you realy mean this or is this some exaggeration? I mean do you really do not read anything from anybody who has another opinion than you? If we would be talking about some crime or extrem political views, I could understand it. But not reading a book because an author has a different opinion about a contract dispute between two big companies?
Yes, I am. I also do not watch movies with Tom Cruise or Mel Gibson. I don't patronize crazy people nor people that think poorly of us "poor folk." Don't put money in the pockets of people like that and you don't become part of the problem of them thinking they have power over us. I also think the whole idea of a publishing house is stupid. Can't wait until they go away. I like small time authors like LJ Sellers who self publish. I *always* buy her books.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:32 PM   #20
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
While I don't agree with Lee Child's view, I don't mind that it differs from mine, it's everyone's right. What I did mind though is how insulting he can be to anyone not agreeing with him if you read the comments at the bottom. It'll make me rethink purchasing any future books for sure.

And I won't watch any Tom Cruise movies either.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2014, 03:55 PM   #21
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I can say when a celebrity is "out there" (as far as MY views are concerned) I do boycott their work. A couple that I have boycotted were Mel Gibson and Tom Cruise for various reasons. I can now add Lee Child to that list. I just felt that I was being looked down upon.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 03:58 PM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickloraine View Post
I just have to ask, since comments like this seem to pop up quite alot: Do you realy mean this or is this some exaggeration? I mean do you really do not read anything from anybody who has another opinion than you? If we would be talking about some crime or extrem political views, I could understand it. But not reading a book because an author has a different opinion about a contract dispute between two big companies?
I will point out that not patronizing an author may be a very trivial matter for some, needing no extreme reason for doing it.

If one has huge TBR stack, and wide pool of men's adventure genre books to choose from, paring it down by eliminating an author who's comments you find insulting or not in your best interest may only only be one round ahead of paring down based on hairstyle.....

Did Child really say "if a person could afford it at £8, they can afford it at £10?"
That, plus his slipping of his own political views inappropriately into his books, is enough to make me not want to patronize him any more either.

I've enjoyed Jack Reacher for the most part, but he didn't change my life, and there are just too many men's adventure writers out there who DON'T annoy me.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 04:15 PM   #23
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
Tom Cruise [....] I can now add Lee Child to that list.
Hey, you can refuse to see the next 'Jack Reacher' movie and boycott two at once!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:52 PM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I will point out that not patronizing an author may be a very trivial matter for some, needing no extreme reason for doing it.

If one has huge TBR stack, and wide pool of men's adventure genre books to choose from, paring it down by eliminating an author who's comments you find insulting or not in your best interest may only only be one round ahead of paring down based on hairstyle.....

Did Child really say "if a person could afford it at £8, they can afford it at £10?"
That, plus his slipping of his own political views inappropriately into his books, is enough to make me not want to patronize him any more either.

I've enjoyed Jack Reacher for the most part, but he didn't change my life, and there are just too many men's adventure writers out there who DON'T annoy me.
I have no problem with people boycotting authors, actors or whomever for what ever reason. It's your money (that's a generic you, not you specifically) to spend as you will. I must say that I didn't find his interview insulting nor to I consider his views extreme. I certainly don't think it deserves the vitriol expressed by some in this thread.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 PM   #25
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
His comment that his digital to paper sales ratio is declining is an interesting data point and clearly skews his perspective. I suspect this holds true for most bestselling/blockbuster authors, since attaining that level of sales means capturing a lot of casual readers. Casual readers picking up only a few books a year won't be reading digitally on a Kindle and they probably don't care what the book costs.

But he's shortsighted if he thinks the status quo is representative of the future. More and more people have tablets and phones and even casual readers will eventually move to digital content. They'll have more choice (content and price), from public domain classics to backlist bestsellers of years gone by to indie hits everyone is talking about on social media, rather than the 20 current paperback bestsellers racked at Walmart. He's probably right to be wary of the digital future and defensive of the publishing industry that's made him rich.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I have no problem with people boycotting authors, actors or whomever for what ever reason. It's your money (that's a generic you, not you specifically) to spend as you will. I must say that I didn't find his interview insulting nor to I consider his views extreme. I certainly don't think it deserves the vitriol expressed by some in this thread.
The interview is fine to me as well. But did you also read his comments responding to others below that? There's quite a few comments to read through, but that's when I found him insulting and condescending.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
[...]and even casual readers will eventually move to digital content.[...]
And it is already happening.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:36 PM   #28
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The interview is fine to me as well. But did you also read his comments responding to others below that? There's quite a few comments to read through, but that's when I found him insulting and condescending.
Any reason to believe those comments are actually from the real guy?
Old 08-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #29
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Any reason to believe those comments are actually from the real guy?
Hopefully Passive Guy was able to verify that, but even if he didn't, it sounded like Barry Eisler has met him before and was comfortable that it was him. That may be the closest to a verification we get this time around.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:23 PM   #30
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
The BBC interview is available at YouTube
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote