Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 06:14 AM   #1
Bamber
Bamber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TOC and Index links in Sigil

I am creating a non-fiction ebook in ePub format in Sigil. I imagine it must certainly be possible to create forward links from the Table of Contents and backward links from Index entries - but I can't discover how to do it! Advice welcome.
Bamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
toc_editor

Use the TOC Editor - that should give you what you need. Otherwise it's just 'ordinary' html code ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
Bamber
Bamber began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks. Had found the TOC editor, but your advice led me to the HTML I needed for Contents - <h1 title="Alternate text">Normal text</h1> . Index entries linking back to specific paragraphs in the text a different problem though.
Bamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
It is, and there have a number of threads (well at least one) on the subject, I think the consensus was it needs to be done manually (although some devices do incorporate "back-buttons.")
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamber View Post
Thanks. Had found the TOC editor, but your advice led me to the HTML I needed for Contents - <h1 title="Alternate text">Normal text</h1> . Index entries linking back to specific paragraphs in the text a different problem though.
Read the HTML specs about Anchors <a and using hash marks

As GeoffC said: some readers incorporate a back button.
Mine has one, but only if I used the "Catalog" button to get there (Catalog is the TOC that comes from the NCX file,which is whot the TOC editor shows you).
Inline-(HTML) TOC, put all the linkage burden on the Author.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 01:08 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
It is, and there have a number of threads (well at least one) on the subject, I think the consensus was it needs to be done manually (although some devices do incorporate "back-buttons.")
this is one area where Microsoft word does well. The footnotes in word make reverse links for you.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
this is one area where Microsoft word does well. The footnotes in word make reverse links for you.
But you can't have multiple links to a footnote then
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
But you can't have multiple links to a footnote then
Well you can, there can be multiple return points in a list and you click the one that returns you to the correct point. We have this feature in our wiki by the way where multiple links can refer to the same text, and you have a list of returns numbered the same as the references.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:02 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I meant that you can't if the footnote number is a return link (what I assumed is what Word does). There is only a footnote number, so it can be a link to a single place. Of course, if the return link is something added to the footnote, you can have as many as you like, and I've done that several times
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
alecE
Evangelist
alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alecE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs505, prs650, kobo Glo HD liseuses
This may help as well
alecE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #11
Kindleishard
Kindleishard began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Sigil: TOC to add as below:

-Verify TOC inherited from Headings H1 H2 etc in html: Tools > TOC editor: verify that NCX file seems ok
else: menu bar: heading 1 for table of content, chapters; heading 2 for sub chapters; heading 3...

-Table of Contents:
(I used “hyperlink” (LS and LE) in TOC in openoffice to have TOC at beginning of book)

How to reformat Sigil:

save epub and rename it in zip, then in winzip find content.opf
add: <guide> <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Text/same as other lines.html"/> </guide>

IT WORKS if added here in content.opf:
</metadata>
<guide> <reference type="toc" title="Table of Contents" href="Text/Kindle_test.html"/>
<manifest>

save and rename in epub
Kindleishard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
contents, epub, index, links, sigil