Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-25-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
jktreads
jktreads began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color and I won a Kindle with ads!
Nook Simple Touch or Kobo?

Hi -
I have a dial up connection at home and want an ereader that I can use for library books. I also do alot of reading outside, both during the day (well, during the summer months) and at night (love to camp!).

I was thinking of the Nook Simple Touch until I saw that some of the specific applications can only be used with books purchased, not library books, such as the dictionary, and sharing quotes from inside the books with friends or webpages.

I also considered the Nook Color, but am worried about being able to read outside...any thoughts?

I'm concerned that my dial up connection will take forever to download books. Or should I consider an ereader with wi-fi and just go to a hotspot whenever I want to download a book?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
jktreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktreads View Post
I'm concerned that my dial up connection will take forever to download books. Or should I consider an ereader with wi-fi and just go to a hotspot whenever I want to download a book?

Any thoughts?
Thanks!
You will need ADE (Adobe Digital Editions) to download books from most libraries and (unless someone knows a work around I haven't found) you need to do that from your computer and then transfer the books to your e-reader. Wifi won't help you there but is helpful for downloading from the ereader online store and with the Kobo Touch some people say you can download free books via the browser (haven't done that myself but I know the store has lots of free books you can take via wifi).

If you are concerned about speed on dial up my suggestion is to try it out for yourself before buying the ereader. Just download ADE, install it, and then borrow a book from your local library. Most books are in the 400k size range but it varies per book.

I have never tried the Nook e-readers but have a Kobo original and Kobo Touch and like them both.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 PM   #3
jktreads

Thanks for the advice. I'll try the download suggestion to see how it works. That was a very helpful idea for me, Thanks again!
Old 08-25-2011, 12:56 PM   #4
jktreads

one more question, (ok, probably not my last question, lol!) do you think I can download the Adobe software to a flash drive and then bring it home and load it to my computer from the flash drive? Would that work? My work computer is much faster and I can do this during my lunch.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #5
jktreads

I just browsed another thread about tablets, and someone mentioned that they like to play facebook games...that's me! now I need to also consider a tablet, but again with a dial up connection, I probably need a 3G tablet? This is so confusing. But we just won a small amount of money in the lottery, so my hubby said I could spend it on an ereader...or maybe a tablet...what fun trying to decide!
Old 08-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
one more question, (ok, probably not my last question, lol!) do you think I can download the Adobe software to a flash drive and then bring it home and load it to my computer from the flash drive? Would that work? My work computer is much faster and I can do this during my lunch.
Don't see any reason why you can't.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
I just browsed another thread about tablets, and someone mentioned that they like to play facebook games...that's me! now I need to also consider a tablet, but again with a dial up connection, I probably need a 3G tablet? This is so confusing. But we just won a small amount of money in the lottery, so my hubby said I could spend it on an ereader...or maybe a tablet...what fun trying to decide!
There is another thread in this forum about tablets. Lots of great advice and different choices. Congrats on the win!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:37 AM   #8
Ryvyan
I read what I want.
Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ryvyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone XS, iPhone 6, Kobo Clara
Quote:
I'd say buy both; an ereader and a tablet, if you can afford it. They would fulfill different needs.

I have a Nook STR and though I've never downloaded a library book on it, the dictionary can be used on books I download from elsewhere (other than B&N). I keep the reading separately from social networking sites, so I can't help you with the other. I quite like the device, very handy; much more than some of the larger tablets. I believe the Kobo is similarly handy.
Ryvyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:29 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The obvious question to ask is why you have a dial-up connection? Even if you have no ADSL or cable service available, you'd get much faster speeds using a 3G dongle for your PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:28 AM   #10
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The obvious question to ask is why you have a dial-up connection? Even if you have no ADSL or cable service available, you'd get much faster speeds using a 3G dongle for your PC.
Assuming there is cell service in the area.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
Assuming there is cell service in the area.
Given that the OP said:

Quote:
I probably need a 3G tablet...
it seemed a reasonable assumption that there was .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:44 AM   #12
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
it seemed a reasonable assumption that there was .
LOL...I was assuming the OP wanted to use the tablet in places other than home while you were assuming the OP wanted to use it at home...

Last edited by p_a_smith; 08-28-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Tags
kobo, nook simple touch