Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #31
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
In my crystal ball, I see... every country bar the United States missing out. As usual.
Have you seen how many cool mobile phones are released in Asia and Europe and never make it to the US? It's pretty common for products to be marketed in some countries and not others. It's also common for them to release first in one market before the company expands. Amazon has already said they're trying to get a good enough catalog in the EU to launch.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:57 PM   #32
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
Have you seen how many cool mobile phones are released in Asia and Europe and never make it to the US? It's pretty common for products to be marketed in some countries and not others. It's also common for them to release first in one market before the company expands. Amazon has already said they're trying to get a good enough catalog in the EU to launch.
And its quite common for people to complain about it
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 02:12 PM   #33
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem (IMHO) will be the software on the new Kindle (if there is such) as the software on the K1 and K2 leave a lot to be desired. No PDF, no ePub, no thanks.
Yeah, I really hope they support ePub and PDF too. I much prefer ePub to mobi for reflowable text, and if the "new" Kindle doesn't support PDF it may be a deal breaker for me. Can't wait till Wednesday.

Is anyone from Mobileread invited to the press conference?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:23 PM   #34
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I agree with this article -- it won't save the newspaper industry and the "Big" Kindle's largest potential is in the textbook market, and piracy for textbooks will run rampant.

Personally, I'd like to see an OpenTextbook inititive that replaces traditional textbook publishers, and a large screen Kindle would make that possible.
It already is. Just on laptops rather than E-ink.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #35
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Is anyone from Mobileread invited to the press conference?
Most likely, yes.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM   #36
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
In my crystal ball, I see... every country bar the United States missing out. As usual.
Every Country Bar in the United states missing out ?

After six or seven beers they cant even see the screen anyway.

(oh, you didn't say "in" My bad.)
Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #37
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
And its quite common for people to complain about it
Yes but the quote I was responding to was
Quote:
They seem to be under the impression that it's standard for the US to get everything and everyone else to miss out. It sucks when you can't easily buy the stuff you want but this is hardly a US vs the world situation.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM   #38
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It's interesting that Amazon chose to "leak" the info via the NYT instead of one of the tech blogs or similar. Shows where they consider their audience, partners, whatever to be.

Oh, and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
Le Pays d'Obama
I like it!
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #39
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
They seem to be under the impression that it's standard for the US to get everything and everyone else to miss out. It sucks when you can't easily buy the stuff you want but this is hardly a US vs the world situation.
well, I too am under the impression that it is more common to go "only to the US" then it is with other countries.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #40
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness

Quote:

Actually, Korea gets all the best small PCs.
Because the screen production industry is largely there
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #41
kuliand
Connoisseur
kuliand doesn't litterkuliand doesn't litter

Device: sony prs505
i'd be happy with a 9" screen but please make the border smaller than on the 6" kindle 2. but i think this could just be the world wide launch for the kindle 2 which doesn't interest me as i already have sony prs 505. I also wish they could get the price of these things down a little faster.
kuliand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #42
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Actually, Korea gets all the best small PCs.
Because the screen production industry is largely there
A lot of new phones debut there, too, because they're a much hotter market for cutting edge phones.
Old 05-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #43
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
well, I too am under the impression that it is more common to go "only to the US" then it is with other countries.
These days, you'd be more apt to say "only to Asia". Japan and Korea get all sorts of gadgets we never see here.
Old 05-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #44
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
K2's display resolution is fine for most 'linear text' and it's not clear to me that I need more. I have a slight desire to display two-column, dual-language text (e.g. French in one column, English translation in a section), but that could be done almost adequately even on K2 if you could change to landscape orientation, which could be done in software. But I don't consume many newspapers, magazines, or textbooks, and have learned that I can live without PDF on a reading device, so a larger display seems a case of 'more is less' at first glance.
What would pry my K2 from my cold, dead fingers? That's hard to say. A slightly larger, similarly priced, iPod Touch (maybe 4"x6" with 1024x768 res) would be tempting, if I could get my eyes to agree with the idea. I would still have my Kindle library, access to other ebook marketplaces, and a lot more besides.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #45
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:

You know, I live in Australia. I can pretty much import anything I dam well want. Be it cars, computers, washing machines, mobile phones, whatever. Kindles in particular, however, are rigged so they not fully usable by people outside the US; Amazon won't export any of their e-book products directly to us either.
Why?
Lack of will to deal with the legal and trade problems, that's why.
If they *bothered* they'd be selling volumes of their products to people all over the world by now.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
formats, kindle, pdf