Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-09-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Cybook Gen3 NOT delayed until November

According to LVD
Quote:
Bookeen delays the start of sales of CyBook Gen3 until November 2007.
Reasons: software problems. The case plastic will be replaced and the design will be changed too. The current placement of buttons was found to be not ergonomic and inconvenient to use.
The price will stay the same: €350/$350 for standard package (device + USB cable), €450/$450 for deluxe package (device + USB cable + charger + leather case + 2GB SD card).
Not sure where he got this from, I assume from the Frankfurt fair?

Sorry, false alarm due to wrong translation.

Last edited by igorsk; 10-09-2007 at 05:08 PM.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Device = $350
USB cable = $10 (at most)
Charger = $30 (based on Sony's price for the 505 AC adapter)
Leather case = $40 (based on what Sony is charging for the 505 leather case)
2GB SD card = $18 (based on what I paid for mine)

So yes, $450 is a reasonable price for the "deluxe edition" based on $350 for the device.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #3
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Device = $350
USB cable = $10 (at most)
Charger = $30 (based on Sony's price for the 505 AC adapter)
Leather case = $40 (based on what Sony is charging for the 505 leather case)
2GB SD card = $18 (based on what I paid for mine)

So yes, $450 is a reasonable price for the "deluxe edition" based on $350 for the device.
Jon,

The Cybook uses an AC to USB power adapter. The US model has fold-out/fold-flat prongs and fits quite comfortably in the palm of my hand. I've found a half-dozen of them on eBay for around $8 including shipping. And the USB-to-mini-USB cable costs much less than $10 in all but the most ridiculously overpriced electronics store - Radio Shack comes to mind.

And Sony tosses the much heavier and more complex charger in with the PRS-500. (Although I admit that the 505, with it's charge-from-the-computer USB capability eliminates that need.) I've attached images of the AC adapter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AC2USBTop6x4.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	6137   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC2USBBottom6x4.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	6138   Click image for larger version

Name:	AC2USBConn6x4.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	6139  

Last edited by delphidb96; 10-09-2007 at 01:01 PM.
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was justifying the reason for the price for the $100 price difference and I manged pretty well.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was justifying the reason for the price for the $100 price difference and I manged pretty well.
Well, yes and no.

Yes, the case, being leather will probably retail for $40, no matter which device it's designed for. Yes, a 2GB card can well cost $18 retail. No, the USB cable and AC-to-USB power adapter probably could be had retail for about $15, combined, from a high-end retail outlet. And since the USB cable is going to be included...

I'm not complaining about Bookeen's pricing policy specifically. I've noticed that the NUUT doesn't come with a softcover. I don't know about the Hanlin V3, but isn't Sony discontinuing inclusion of an AC adapter with the PRS-505? Seems like there's a definite trend here.

Derek
Advert
Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
According to LVD

Not sure where he got this from, I assume from the Frankfurt fair?
Two days ago on their Blog, Bookeen said:

Quote:
Concerning our release date, the Cybook Gen3 will be definetly available before end of october.
so it would seem a little surprising if the release date were now November.

Still, I suppose the definition of "release" can be a little "flexible". Does it mean "accepting orders", "manufacturing the product", "actually shipping it", or something else entirely?

Time will tell...
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Yes, the 505 no longer comes with an AC adaptor. But what Sony has done though is allow the 505 to be charged froma regular USB port and even when the battery is flat. So it you can do it all from the USB port. Granted, it's still faster to charge via the AC adapter.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Yes, the 505 no longer comes with an AC adaptor. But what Sony has done though is allow the 505 to be charged froma regular USB port and even when the battery is flat. So it you can do it all from the USB port. Granted, it's still faster to charge via the AC adapter.
Which, of course, is exactly what the Bookeen can do. And I think that having a really small, AC-to-USB power adapter will be a great asset for those times when the customer has a dead battery and no accessible PC with USB port.

Derek
Old 10-09-2007, 02:01 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Which, of course, is exactly what the Bookeen can do. And I think that having a really small, AC-to-USB power adapter will be a great asset for those times when the customer has a dead battery and no accessible PC with USB port.

Derek
What we need is a universal way to charge all these portable devices so we can just hall around one AC adapter. USB seems to be it.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:09 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
What we need is a universal way to charge all these portable devices so we can just hall around one AC adapter. USB seems to be it.
I agree.

I've noticed, while doing the eBay search, that there are over a couple of dozen power adapters which have that universal connector to which one could attach the plug module which fits the sockets of the region. Even those power adapters are under $10.

Derek
Old 10-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #11
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
The OMTP is now recommending mobile devices standardize on micro USB.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/21/o...d-for-mobiles/
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #12
hamh
Connoisseur
hamh began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G / Milestone / 505 / iPad 3G
i wonder how different the new design of the body is. Or they just want to change the touch on the surface from glossy to matt? For the button, do they mean there will be some modification on the button press mechanism or they will put another type of navigation buttons?
hamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:06 PM   #13
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Sorry, false alarm. Apparently it's a rather bad translation of the Booken blog entry. Lost in translation :/
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

A lot of people responding to Booken's blog are complaining about the EU price, They are going to have a tough sell in the EU it looks like.
Old 10-10-2007, 03:11 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
A lot of people responding to Booken's blog are complaining about the EU price, They are going to have a tough sell in the EU it looks like.
I don't know. People will moan about it, but they'll still buy it.

It could well be due to circumstances outside Bookeen's control. I understand that the CyBook is actually being manufacturered somewhere like China. If it's manufactured there, and shipped directly to both France and the US for sale, the difference in price may well be due to differences in import tarrifs between the EU and US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote